By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

The better system is...

Nintendo 64 606 48.71%

Playstation 1 638 51.29%

Total:1,244

Nintendo 64 for me. When I look back with them rose tinted glasses, I remember the 64 more fondly. Pokemon stadium, perfect dark, the original smash bros, banjo kazooie, star wars, doom, goldeneye.... Just icon of gaming after icon. Hell, the console even had starcraft. It's actually quite amazing how the PlayStation outsold it the way it did. It deserved more sales than it got.

Around the Network

Enn.

Six.

Four.

Much love for the PSX, though.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Bandorr said:
Playstation one. Much, much, much to the 100000 degree better controller.
Better use of memory cards.
Better graphics.
And a ton of good games.

Although I did enjoy Mario 64, and golden eye.

Better graphics? Nintendo 64 was more powerful than the PS1 and it showed in the games. Look up ports of games for both of the consoles. Nintendo 64 wins every time.

You know that thing when you uhhh...and then you...hmmm. But then you have to...umm, Yuh.

N64. There are very few good PS1 games, in my opinion. And theyve aged even less graciously than N64 games... So N64 almost purely for games like SM64, Pokemon. Stadium, Mystical Ninja, and Majora's Mask

I had both and played them to death when I was a kid. I could never pick between them.

Around the Network

N64 all the way. I am sorry, but when it comes to ps1 games in general, the graphics just don't hold up very well at all IMO. Don't get me wrong, Symphony of the night is still one of my favorite and most replayed games of all time, but other than that there are maybe a few I go back to play now and then which are mostly JRPG's. Now N64 had Mario 64, Smash Bros, Goldeneye, Waverace, DK64, Super Mario Kart 64, Mario Party 1-3, OoT, MM, Doom 64, Killer Instinct Gold(all time favorite fighter), both Banjo-kazooie's, Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini, Rogue Squardron, Shadows of the Empire, Turok 1 &2, Diddy Kong Racing, Star Fox 64, Paper Mario, and Conkers Bad Fur Day just off the top of my head. Also, if a game was on both consoles, the 64 version was pretty much always the better version graphically, like Mega man Legends and Resident Evil 2.

That's a close call for me. I had both, and in spite of the larger selection of software on PS1, ended up favoring the N64 more during the end of their peak years. The superior loading times on the N64 actually played a part in that. IDK. Like them pretty much equally.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

PS1 and N64 are a close tie but I didn't own an N64 and could only play it at a friends.

PS1 offered great games from Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil to Ape Escape (personal favorite) to Spyro and Crash. Such a fantastic system. Of course there's also Final Fantasy 7 and Parasite Eve. Soul Reaver and way too many to list.

Though the N64 had Mario Kart, Golden Eye, Jet Force Gemini, Pod Racer, Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, Perfect Dark and more. Plus it had better in game graphics and multiplayer over all. I guess it's kind of the better system in many aspects but I had the PS1 and loved it! There's a lot of underappreciated gems on that system like that open world Batman game and even that awesome Small Soldiers game which had some fantastic multiplayer up there with Twisted Metal.

The PS1 was the most important console of my gaming life. For the first time, I began to consider video-games a vital part of my life. It had so much depth and variety that I could always find something to kickstart my imagination.

Gran Turismo, Suikoden, Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy Tactics, Tekken, Silent Hill, Bushido Blade, Alundra, Need For Speed, Star Ocean, Breath of Fire, Micro Machines, Soul Blade, Syphon Filter, Tony Hawk ...

I used to go to the local rental store and just pick stuff I hadn't tried before. Just an awesome console for people who wanted to try all kinds of different experiences.

This is a very hard one to pick for me.

On the one hand, the PS1 easily has the greater quantity and variety of games, but the N64 I feel has more gold-tier classics.

I enjoy both consoles immensely, and they each have games I adore, from Spyro and Crash on PS1 or Banjo Kazooie, Ocarina of Time, and Starfox on the 64.