By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

The better system is...

Nintendo 64 606 48.71%

Playstation 1 638 51.29%

Total:1,244

Ps1 was the best overall, N64 had the biggest masterpieces thought, nothing on Ps1 came even close to the impact of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. It also had the best platformers and the best console shooters, best console for multiplayer too. On the other hand Ps1 was extremelly strong on the RPG and Survival Horror department, it had way more games in almost every genre and the use of CD made for better sound, surprising CGI cutscenes and it was easier to translate, so most Ps1 games were translated to several languages but almost every N64 game came in English and nobody knew English on 1997 here on Spain.

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
Combined with PC games released in that period and the GameBoy Color, the 5th generation was the Golden Age of gaming.

Can't argue with that. PC was kicking it into overdrive with some of the best games of all time during that era too! Such as Sacrifice, Diablo 2, Half Life, Baldures Gate 1+2, Civilization 2, Quake, Unreal Tournament, StarCraft, Homeworld, The Sims, System Shock 2, Thief, Age of Empires, Alpha Centauri, Freespace, Black and White, Command and Conquer, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Duke Nukem, Descent, WarCraft 2, Total Annihilation and so much more...

Plus the PC was starting to push high-definition visuals, Texture and Lighting, Bump Mapping and even pixel shaders and tessellation towards the end of the 5th generation.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I chose the Nintendo 64 mainly because I am a Nintendo fan and it was my first console.  But I feel that the N64's top 5 games were also basically genre defining and earth shattering while the top 10 were still what would be considered major hits. It was by far the console of choice for multiplayer, it basically invented the concept of the analog stick (PSOne copied afterwards) and it introduced force-feedback.

That's not to say that the PS1 didn't have a lot going for it, but I feel that the N64 was still the more daring and innovative console at least in the early part of the generation.

PS One by a mile for me. FF7,8,9 MGS Wipeout Tombraider V-Rally Micro machines Gran Turismo Driver
vs OOT on N64. I didn't really get along with Mario 64, Wave race was fun yet I can't even remember what else I played on it. I was playing FPS and RTS on PC at the time so Perfect dark and Goldeneye on N64 didn't appeal to me.

Two of my most favorite consoles ever
PS1 was 1st 3D console that I played for me some of best games ever like Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, Metal Gear...but N64 gave me best game ever that I played (Zelda OoT) and games like Mario64, Golden Eye 007, SM64, Banjo-Kazooie, Pilot Wings...so for me N64 is for little in front of PS1.

Around the Network

Ps1, way better games library.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

I haven't played either since I'm too young. I would probably prefer N64 because of the games, although the PS1 library doesn't look bad either.

N64. The PS1 has more games, no question there. But the Nintendo 64 has a few that just outshine anything else. Goldeneye, still the best console shooter ever in my book. Super Mario 64 and Majora's Mask are easily two of the best games ever made and Ocarina of Time ain't half bad either. Then there are hidden gems like Snowboard Kids which I personally like even better than Mario Kart. All the Metal Gears, Tomb Raiders and Final Fantasys just can't compete with that. Though I really like both consoles. But if I had to choose between the two, I would always pick the N64.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

N64.. If you bought the best 10 games on each console the 64 is miles better. If you were after a huge game library with great to good games you would go ps1. Unfortunately for me money was a problem so best 10 games win out.

The game I enjoyed most on the 64 was Blast Corps. Great game and 1 I've still got and play all the time.

Console sales says it all. PS One outsold the N64 by 70 million consoles.