By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Forbes: highest-paid athletes (Cristiano Ronaldo = #1)

Forbes Rich List 2017

Athlete Sport Salary+endorsements (£mill)
Cristiano Ronaldo Football 71.8
LeBron James Basketball 66.6
Lionel Messi Football 61.8
Roger Federer Tennis 49.4
Kevin Durant Basketball 46.8
Rory McIlroy Golf 38.6
Andrew Luck American Football 38.6
Stephen Curry Basketball 36.5
James Harden Basketball 36.0
Lewis Hamilton Motor Racing 35.5

The top 100 earned a total of £2.40bn over the last 12 months, a slight decrease from last year's earnings of £2.43bn. Endorsement income also experienced a bit of a decline, down 4% to £685mil this year.

The list of elite athletes consists of players from 11 different sports. Basketball dominates the list with a record 32 NBA players among the top 100, up from 18 in 2016, followed by baseball with 22 players, american football with 15 and football with nine.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12040/10907402/cristiano-ronaldo-retains-standing-at-top-of-forbes-highest-paid-athlete-list-with-163-71-8m

Around the Network

Most surprising thing imo is that Tiger Woods can still be the 17th highest paid athlete in the world despite not really doing much for.... well quite awhile now!

Also kinda surprised that Federer is up in #4, yet Djokovic who has been much more succesful in recent years doesn't make the top 10.

i'm surprised American Snoozeball is so badly represented in the top ten and the one guy is so far behind Ronaldo

How does Lebron get paid so much? The NBA has a soft salary cap, so a lot of it has to be from sponsorships, and not from the Cavaliers themselves.

Nice to see Stephen Curry there since he is still somehow underpaid in club salary at almost 30 years old!

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Around the Network

Federer doesn't surprise me, he is that guy everyone wants to work with if it comes to advertisement and the price he asks for is surely high.

celador said:
i'm surprised American Snoozeball is so badly represented in the top ten and the one guy is so far behind Ronaldo

The NFL, like the NHL, has a hard salary cap, so there's a limit that every team is allowed to spend on players, with no exceptions.

looks like the top basketball players profit from teamsizes being smaller due to only fielding 5 at a time > individual skill is much more important and expensive

Andrew Luck ROFL

celador said:

By American Snoozeball do you meany American football? hmm... would have thought Baseball would be more snooze inspiring that hasn't got anybody in the top 10 so...

Although I don't think it's that surprising. American football players may get huge salaries, but they're only really known in the US so any kind of sponsorship is going to be way behind worldwide stars. Even basketball which is pretty much dominated by the US still has quite a following in Europe/Asia so they're athletes that are known to a much wider audience, and thus able to command much higher sponsorship deals.