By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Does Switch really needs Pokemon this year!?

Let me tell you something. Part of the Switch success is about Nintendo merging both handheld and homeconsole libraries in a single piece of hardware.

After today, the Switch is getting a port of a Wii U game (homeconsole), but couldn't get even a lazy port of a mainline Pokemon game (handheld).

It is not a surprise that some are even speculating around the web or believing that they are going to create another handheld platform or if GF is really going to put at some time mainline games at it.

This of course gives no confidence to the general public or Pokemon fanbase, which is going to buy 3DS or keep their old ones to play the game and pass om the Switch, a new console that needs to grow its userbase as fast as it can to guarantee external support.

Now then, we may be more informed gamers, but out there this holiday season, people that wants to play Pokemon, which is a lot, won't buy a Switch because there's no game on it to play right now.

Tl;dr Yes it needs to grow the userbase faster.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
shoichi said:

Pokemon Red and Blue were released at the same time in 1996 at least in the US. There was no Green Version outside of Japan as that was their Blue version. Only with Leaf Green did Green version get an international release

If you just look at North America, it's even worse.

1998 - Red/Blue
1999 - Yellow
2000 - Gold/Silver
2001 - Crystal
2003 - Ruby/Sapphire
2004 - FireRed/LeafGreen
2005 - Emerald
2007 - Diamond/Pearl
2009 - Platinum
2010 - HeartGold/SoulSilver
2011 - Black/White
2012 - Black 2/White 2
2013 - X/Y
2014 - Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire
2016 - Sun/Moon
2017 - UltraSun/UltraMoon

Out of 20 years, only 4 didn't have a Pokémon game released. For Japan, it's 5 years out of 22.

Pavolink said:
Let me tell you something. Part of the Switch success is about Nintendo merging both handheld and homeconsole libraries in a single piece of hardware.

After today, the Switch is getting a port of a Wii U game (homeconsole), but couldn't get even a lazy port of a mainline Pokemon game (handheld).

It is not a surprise that some are even speculating around the web or believing that they are going to create another handheld platform or if GF is really going to put at some time mainline games at it.

This of course gives no confidence to the general public or Pokemon fanbase, which is going to buy 3DS or keep their old ones to play the game and pass om the Switch, a new console that needs to grow its userbase as fast as it can to guarantee external support.

Now then, we may be more informed gamers, but out there this holiday season, people that wants to play Pokemon, which is a lot, won't buy a Switch because there's no game on it to play right now.

This is the overreaction I was looking for.

Let's look at the DS. It came out in 2004. Pokemon Emerald released a year later, for the GBA. The first Pokemon games on the DS were Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (2005 in Japan) and Pokemon Ranger, released in 2006. It didn't receive it's first mainline Pokemon until 2007 (Sept 2006 in Japan), around 3 years after the DS came out. That sure didn't harm the DS now, did it?

Personally, I wish US/UM wasn't even a thing. Neither Stars/Eclipse; I would like them to move out of Gen 7, take a year break and make an actually great Pokemon game. And that wouldn't harm the Switch in any way. They can't keep up with stock with "only 2 worthwhile games", imagine the holidays with Mario and Pokemon. It's a waste of resources for GF and Nintendo.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Pavolink said:

Slarvax said:
Pavolink said:

This is the overreaction I was looking for.

Let's look at the DS. It came out in 2004. Pokemon Emerald released a year later, for the GBA. The first Pokemon games on the DS were Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (2005 in Japan) and Pokemon Ranger, released in 2006. It didn't receive it's first mainline Pokemon until 2007 (Sept 2006 in Japan), around 3 years after the DS came out. That sure didn't harm the DS now, did it?

Personally, I wish US/UM wasn't even a thing. Neither Stars/Eclipse; I would like them to move out of Gen 7, take a year break and make an actually great Pokemon game. And that wouldn't harm the Switch in any way. They can't keep up with stock with "only 2 worthwhile games", imagine the holidays with Mario and Pokemon. It's a waste of resources for GF and Nintendo.

If Game Freak continues the trend they've established with the last two gens (two games and a year off), we won't see a mainline Pokemon on the Switch until 2019.  If that's the case, Nintendo is going to need something big to carry the 2018 holidays.

Around the Network

Nintendo can't keep up with demand

zorg1000 said:
Panama said:
No. But i sure hope they dont keep going down this annual Pokemon refresh trend. I want each iteration to feel substantial.

lol this trend is 20 years old, its gonna continue.

1996-Red/Green

1997-Blue

1998-Yellow

1999-Gold/Silver

2000-Crystal

2002-Ruby/Sapphire

2003-FireRed/LeafGreen

2004-Emerald

2006-Diamond

2008-Platinum

2009-HeartGold/SoulSilver

2010-Black/White

2012-Black/White 2

2013-X/Y

2014-OmegaRuby/AlphaSaphirre

2016-Sun/Moon

2017-Ultra Sun/Moon

Damn looks like youre right. They omitted an X/Y special edition so i overlooked it.

Miyamotoo said:

Does Switch really needs Pokemon this year!?

Let's look Switch lineup for rest of year if we talk about Nintendo games or their IP games:

-June: Arms
-July: Spaltoon 2
-August: Rabbids x Mario
-September: Pokken
-October: Fire Emblem Warriors
-November: Mario Odyssey
-December: Xenoblade 2

Rest of year looks pretty strong regardless Pokemon, Pokemon for Switch and rumoured Smash Bros at this point are almost certain 2018. games.

Add to that a possible Monster Hunter XX (Stateside), Skyrim, and a few other third party titles, and you have a HUGE first year. 

I alone have/will have:

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild -- OWNED

Super Bomberman R -- OWNED

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe -- OWNED

Ultra Street Fighter II: The FInal Challengers -- OWNED

Arms -- PRE-ORDERED

Rime -- PRE-ORDERED

Splatoon 2 -- PRE-ORDERED

Skyrim -- PRE-ORDERED

Monster Hunter XX

Pokken Tournament

Dragon Quest X

Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Mario Oddyssey

and probably Mario x Rabbids: Kingdom Battle...

That's 14 games in the first nine months, not counting digital only titles like Fast RMX and Thumper (both of which I already own) and Hawaii Shakedown (soon to own), plus VC. If Nintendo announces much of anything for 2017 on the Switch at this point, it's going to be overkill. 

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

The system has a mainline Zelda, Super Mario, Mario Kart, Monster Hunter, and Splatoon title in the same year. Technically it doesn't need anything else to be ok.

Pavolink said:

Point is that Switch will be very strong this year regardless Pokemon, and Nintendo could hardly have growth of the user base faster when still can't keep up with demand and next month we already getting new huge system seller game, Pokemon probably wouldn't help when in any case when Nintendo even now cant keep with demand.