By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Does Switch really needs Pokemon this year!?

No, Nintendo would be wise to postpone the next mainline Pokémon for next year; a Holiday 2018 would be ideal!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
HintHRO said:
If the Switch' current line up is (for some bizarre reason) able to make the console sold out everywhere.. Then no I don't think it needs ANY new games this year.

Best Zelda ever and probably best Mario Kart are bizarre reasons for buying great new and interesting console (that can be used like real home console or like real handheld)!?

Are you in such denial or are you so salty?

Best Zelda that's also available on the much cheaper Wii U and best Mario Kart everybody already played for hundreds of hours on Wii U which you can now rebuy for full-price without any obvious upgrades and battle mode which should've been in the original game in the first place?

I don't care how ''interesting'' the concept of the Switch is. If it doesn't offer many big games on the long run I won't buy it. I expect more from a 320 euro console. Nintendo even announced games in January that aren't even in development yet. So we won't expect them for 2/3 years in the future. A strong indication they don't have anything new and big prepared for Switch

Pavolink said:
Slarvax said:

This is the overreaction I was looking for.

Let's look at the DS. It came out in 2004. Pokemon Emerald released a year later, for the GBA. The first Pokemon games on the DS were Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (2005 in Japan) and Pokemon Ranger, released in 2006. It didn't receive it's first mainline Pokemon until 2007 (Sept 2006 in Japan), around 3 years after the DS came out. That sure didn't harm the DS now, did it?

Personally, I wish US/UM wasn't even a thing. Neither Stars/Eclipse; I would like them to move out of Gen 7, take a year break and make an actually great Pokemon game. And that wouldn't harm the Switch in any way. They can't keep up with stock with "only 2 worthwhile games", imagine the holidays with Mario and Pokemon. It's a waste of resources for GF and Nintendo.

First, how is this an overreaction and second DS was a handheld and everyone was 100% confident it would get a traditional pokemon game at some point.

Lastly, it had the GBA doing monster numbers. DS didn't need because there was another hardware selling pretty well while Switch only has the 3DS numbers that are slowing.

Add in there that DS wasn't selling as hot until 2006 with the DS Lite model.

wombat123 said:

If Game Freak continues the trend they've established with the last two gens (two games and a year off), we won't see a mainline Pokemon on the Switch until 2019.  If that's the case, Nintendo is going to need something big to carry the 2018 holidays.

This. Are people sure Nintendo have enough games to sustain a good level of sales until 2019?

Miyamotoo said:

Point is that Switch will be very strong this year regardless Pokemon, and Nintendo could hardly have growth of the user base faster when still can't keep up with demand and next month we already getting new huge system seller game, Pokemon probably wouldn't help when in any case when Nintendo even now cant keep with demand.

They can't keep up with the demand because of the surprise success. If it wasn't the case and the console was selling less, would the have been in need of a Pokemon game? It is not like this should be decided in a short frame of time. Whether Switch would get a port of UM US was a decision that Nintendo or GF took since last year.

And well, it is pretty interesting to see people asking for less games.

i don't think that's the arguement. I think most are saying for this holiday, if we presume Pokémon would be a holiday Switch title, would be overkill. If people think ARMS would be affected by Splatoon 2 the month after its release, it's possible that Pokémon could also do the same with Mario Odyssey, even if it's an evergreen title. Plus, you have to consider that shortages of the Switch continuing due to the shortages of manufacturing digital parts and having to fight Apple for assembly lines, according to WSJ. So they may not be able to take advantage of getting sales boost with both Mario and Pokémon releasing in the holidays on the same console.

HintHRO said:
Miyamotoo said:

Best Zelda ever and probably best Mario Kart are bizarre reasons for buying great new and interesting console (that can be used like real home console or like real handheld)!?

Are you in such denial or are you so salty?

Best Zelda that's also available on the much cheaper Wii U and best Mario Kart everybody already played for hundreds of hours on Wii U which you can now rebuy for full-price without any obvious upgrades and battle mode which should've been in the original game in the first place?

I don't care how ''interesting'' the concept of the Switch is. If it doesn't offer many big games on the long run I won't buy it. I expect more from a 320 euro console.

Nintendo even announced games in January that aren't even in development yet. So we won't expect them for 2/3 years in the future. A strong indication they don't have anything new and big prepared for Switch

Huge difference is when new great game is launched on dead console, and when you have brand new and great game like launch title for new console. Even when MK8 was launched, Wii U was already considered for failure. You do realise that Wii U is discounted few months ago (at same price like Switch), and that Wii U had instal base of 13.5m!? So how exactly people can buy Wii U thats much cheaper (and why would anybody buy dead console to play Zelda when they can buy brand new console with whole life in front), and how exactly "everybody" played MK8D on Wii U (when only 13.5m people bought Wii U)!?

That's your subjective opinion, but it's very obvious why Switch is so popular and why is selling great. Saying that's because "bizarre reasons" is denying of clear facts or being salty because of Switch success.

What games exalty NIntendo announced in January that are not yet in development or that we want see them 2/3 years in future!? You do realise that almost all games Nintendo showed in January will be released this year!? Of Course they have new and big games for 2018. also.

Miyamotoo said:
HintHRO said:

I don't care how ''interesting'' the concept of the Switch is. If it doesn't offer many big games on the long run I won't buy it. I expect more from a 320 euro console.

Nintendo even announced games in January that aren't even in development yet. So we won't expect them for 2/3 years in the future. A strong indication they don't have anything new and big prepared for Switch

Huge difference is when new great game is launched on dead console, and when you have brand new and great game like launch title for new console. Even when MK8 was launched, Wii U was already considered for failure. You do realise that Wii U is discounted few months ago (at same price like Switch), and that Wii U had instal base of 13.5m!? So how exactly people can buy Wii U thats much cheaper (and why would anybody buy dead console to play Zelda when theyi can buy brand new console with whole life in front), and how exactly "everybody" played MK8D on Wii U (when only 13.5m people bought Wii U)!?

That's your subjective opinion, but it's very obvious why Switch is so popular and why is selling great. Saying that's because "bizarre reasons" is denying of clear facts or being salty because of Switch success.

What games exalty NIntendo announced in January that are not yet in development or that we want see them 2/3 years in future!? You do realise that almost all games Nintendo showed in January will be released this year!? Of Course they have new and big games for 2018. also.

I think he/she meant games like SMT, Project Octopath Traveler, and new project for No More Heroes. But those are third party anyway. As for Nintendo themselves, you're right. Pretty much all the games they've announced back in January have or will be released within this year or the next.

Around the Network
Kai_Mao said:
Miyamotoo said:

Huge difference is when new great game is launched on dead console, and when you have brand new and great game like launch title for new console. Even when MK8 was launched, Wii U was already considered for failure. You do realise that Wii U is discounted few months ago (at same price like Switch), and that Wii U had instal base of 13.5m!? So how exactly people can buy Wii U thats much cheaper (and why would anybody buy dead console to play Zelda when theyi can buy brand new console with whole life in front), and how exactly "everybody" played MK8D on Wii U (when only 13.5m people bought Wii U)!?

I think he/she meant games like SMT, Project Octopath Traveler, and new project for No More Heroes. But those are third party anyway. As for Nintendo themselves, you're right. Pretty much all the games they've announced back in January have or will be released within this year or the next.

Yes, thats not unusual for 3rd parties, even for Sony, that they announce games few years in advance. But Nintendo is looking to have much less time between announcement and release, almost all games (actually I think all of them) that Nintendo announced in January event will be released this year.

Save it for next year to fill in any gap they might have and they'll be set honestly.

Pokemom on Switch would kill 3DS sales without any real benefits, since Nintendo isn't capable to ship more units right now.

Realistically it's just a bunch of lost momentum. People will quit giving up looking for a Switch if both Mario and Pokémon come out in the same time frame. Waiting for a later date to release Pokémon will only increase consumer's demand and desire for a Switch.

Miyamotoo said:
Kai_Mao said:

Yes, thats not unusual for 3rd parties, even for Sony, that they announce games few years in advance. But Nintendo is looking to have much less time between announcement and release, almost all games (actually I think all of them) that Nintendo announced in January event will be released this year.

Nintendo never announces games that early unless they are desperate. When the Wii U was selling so bad, they decided to announce games that weren't going to be released for years like Fire Emblem x SMT, Yarn Yoshi and Xenoblade. So there's absolutely no reason for Nintendo to announce games that are releasing close relatively close to launch and games that didn't even start development at that moment. Then announce games that have been in development for several months or a year to make us hyped for games coming within a year, not another 2/3 years.