By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - "Feel True Power" Xbox Scorpio Teaser

SkyerIst_Huiesos said:
Machiavellian said:

LOL, perception.  Its stealing when it's MS and its good business when its Nintendo or Sony.  I guess that is the hurdle MS must overcome in order to gain some gamers support.

MS gives money to a 3rd party to stop releasing the game on other platforms. I call this stealing, they can fund their game, not buy it and take it from other consumers

Actually MS has never gave money to a 3rd party to stop releasing a game on another platform.  They either funded the project totally so got it exclusive or they funded partial to get a time exclusive.  Funding a project completly means its 2nd party.  Most times if MS if funding it completly, the 3rd party came to MS and asked to fund development.  Partial funding it is time exclusive.  On the time exclusive part it still comes to other platforms like Tomb Raider.  While it may not make you happy if you are on the other console it does make the developer happy because they get upfront money on the development.  Budget for the project becomes bigger and they can concentrate on one platform without worry as much about the amount of sales.  It fund future projects and probably also fund the development on those other platforms.  In a high risk market like AAA games it business and help developers pay their builds.  

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
LivingMetal said:

Because that is the only time that counts. :/

No wonder gaming is dying. If only September and October count.

Oh and I guess November/December. But those haven't counted in a couple years.

Maybe for the Xbox since this was a claim Microsoft themselves made.

Machiavellian said:

Exceeding the X1 is nothing.  Meeting the recommended specs for the game on the PC is the key.  The two are not the same thing.

Majority of PC games are happy to run on Xbox One level graphics hardware anyway. You won't be doing Ultra, 1440P, 120fps... But neither is the Xbox One.
You can't shift the goal posts on this I am afraid.

Conina said:

Over 50%? I'm only at one third of Steam users yet (counting any GPU faster than a 750 Ti)...but that's already 75 million PCs if the SteamSpy-estimate of 230 million Steam accounts ain't totally wrong:

GeForce 750 Ti - 5.88%
Geforce 970 - 5.22%
Geforce 1060 - 5.19%
Geforce 960 - 4.98%
Geforce 1070 - 3.34%
Geforce 1050Ti - 2.04%
Geforce 960M (Notebook) - 2.65%
Geforce 750 - 1.96%
Geforce 950 - 1.9%
Geforce 760 - 1.77%
Geforce 1080 - 1.68%
Geforce 1050 - 1.54%
Radeon 7900 series - 1.15%
Radeon 8800 series - 1.12%
Radeon RX 480 - 1.06%
Geforce 770 - 0.96%
Geforce 980 - 0.95%
Geforce 980Ti - 0.93%
Radeon 7800 series - 0.92%
Geforce 970M (Notebook) - 0.76%
Geforce 950Ti - 0.64%
Radeon R9 380 - 0.6%
Radepon R9 200 series - 0.6%
Radeon R9 390 - 0.53
Radeon RX 460 - 0.51%
Radeon RX 470 - 0.38
Geforce 780 - 0.38%
Geforce 670 - 0.35%
Geforce 960M (Notebook) - 0.34%
Geforce 980M (Notebook) - 0.34%
Geforce 660 Ti - 0.33%
Geforce 560 - 0.3%

50.7%

I have excluded the likes of Radeon R7 and Radeon 7700 series as the GPU's can be both weaker and stronger than the Xbox One.
Also ignored allot of the lower-end mobile parts which could be faster than the Xbox One, but I can't be bothered finding benchmarks.

Also scre you in making me put this kind of effort in.

Conina said:

I also tried to estimate how many Steam users already have a GPU faster than the Scorpio (counting any GPU faster than a GTX 980 / GTX 1060 / R9 390X / RX 580) and I came up with about 5% of the Steam users.

I'll get around to it later if it's truly important.

But you should include GPU's older than that.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Conina said:

Over 50%? I'm only at one third of Steam users yet (counting any GPU faster than a 750 Ti)...but that's already 75 million PCs if the SteamSpy-estimate of 230 million Steam accounts ain't totally wrong:

GeForce 750 Ti - 5.88%
Geforce 970 - 5.22%
Geforce 1060 - 5.19%

Sorry to say that, but your percentages are wrong because they are based only on the share of DX12-GPUs. Only 75% of the Steam users have a DX12 GPU yet and only 50% of the Steam users have a DX12 GPU and DX12-OS yet.

GeForce 750 Ti has 5.88% of the total share of DX12-GPUs on Steam, but only 4,61% of the extended Steam base (DX10+DX11+DX12 GPUs)
GeForce 970 has 5.22% of the total share of DX12-GPUs on Steam, but only 4,08% of the extended Steam base (DX10+DX11+DX12 GPUs)
GeForce 1060 has 5.19% of the total share of DX12-GPUs on Steam, but only 4,07% of the extended Steam base (DX10+DX11+DX12 GPUs)

Conina said:
Pemalite said:

GeForce 750 Ti - 5.88%
Geforce 970 - 5.22%
Geforce 1060 - 5.19%

Sorry to say that, but your percentages are wrong because they are based only on the share of DX12-GPUs. Only 75% of the Steam users have a DX12 GPU yet and only 50% of the Steam users have a DX12 GPU and DX12-OS yet.

GeForce 750 Ti has 5.88% of the total share of DX12-GPUs on Steam, but only 4,61% of the extended Steam base (DX10+DX11+DX12 GPUs)
GeForce 970 has 5.22% of the total share of DX12-GPUs on Steam, but only 4,08% of the extended Steam base (DX10+DX11+DX12 GPUs)
GeForce 1060 has 5.19% of the total share of DX12-GPUs on Steam, but only 4,07% of the extended Steam base (DX10+DX11+DX12 GPUs)

Well. You aren't wrong.
But then if we start including Direct X 11 GPU's that are faster than the Xbox One... Like the Radeon 6800, 6900, 5800 series etc'.
And then we start thinking about the potential GPU's in the "other" category's and the Radeon R7 and Radeon 7700 series etc'.
And Steam doesn't include dual/triple/quad-GPU's or systems with Enduro/Optimus graphics... My original claim of over 50% of gaming PC's likely holds true.

Other category for Direct X 12 GPU's: 12.69%.
Radeon 6800 series. - 2.54%
Radeon 6900 series. - 1.4%
Radeon 5800 series. - 1.19%
Mobility Radeon 5800 series. - 0.33%

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Snoopy said:
Nem said:

Microsoft always aim for the holidays period, but heck if there isn't alot of desert to cross the rest of the year.

Don't need to be. Most people play multiplatform games which is best on Xbox scorpio (excluding PC eventhough I can't stand pc gaming) and most people buy games during the holiday. I think Microsoft strategy is pretty decent. The only thing that I wished personally is that Microsoft would make a legit Fable game. If they do that, Microsoft wins e3 hands down for me.

so, do you have pro to play best looking multplatform games ? 

Almost nobody gives a shit on power, and this holiday people will buy the cheapiest console with lot of exclusives and multiplatform games, which is ps4. Scorpio is only for enthusiasts who care about power, but don't have a pc or don't need good exclusives.

http://twitter.com/skyer7

3ds: 4270-1889-2005

Machiavellian said:
SkyerIst_Huiesos said:

MS gives money to a 3rd party to stop releasing the game on other platforms. I call this stealing, they can fund their game, not buy it and take it from other consumers

Actually MS has never gave money to a 3rd party to stop releasing a game on another platform.  

you are wrong, the last example is RoTR. As rumours say, it had to be presented as a multiplatfrom on E3, but MS gave SE more money to make it timed-exclusive, nothing to do with partial funding.

http://twitter.com/skyer7

3ds: 4270-1889-2005

SkyerIst_Huiesos said:
Machiavellian said:

Actually MS has never gave money to a 3rd party to stop releasing a game on another platform.  

you are wrong, the last example is RoTR. As rumours say, it had to be presented as a multiplatfrom on E3, but MS gave SE more money to make it timed-exclusive, nothing to do with partial funding.

What do you think a time exclusive is.  Its not full development its partial funding to get a window of 6 months to a year.  The deal happen because of risk in the market place for the reboot of the franchise.  There are stories how the reboot was preceived and how well it sold and Square wanted some money upfront to mitigate the risk and also fund the project allowing for a bigger budget.  The deal helped to solidify the funds needed for the game while it allowed the developer to concentrate on one system thus getting it to market on time and with all the trimmings they wanted to add.  It also provided money for the PC and PS version.  As always gamers believe every decision is personal but in reality it just business which some times is needed in a risk market where millions can be lost.  The problem for MS is that they cannot get free exclusives like Sony.  They do not get the Japanese exclusives that are freely given to Sony because they have a Japanese console and thus they must work harder or probably even pay way more.  Its the nature of the beast they face in the market.