By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation VR surpasses 1 million units sold

Sony has now sold more than 1 million PlayStation VR headsets, the company announced today. The news follows a reveal back in February that the PSVR had topped 915,000 units sold since its debut last October. It puts PSVR ahead of direct competitors like the HTC Vive and Oculus Rift — according to research firm SuperData, the two sold 420,000 and 243,000 units respectively by the end of 2016 — but still well back of Samsung’s Gear VR, which has sold more than 5 million units globally. Shawn Layden, president and CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment America, admits there’s still plenty of work to be done, especially given the large install base of PS4 owners, which is approaching 60 million. “It’s still just a million units,” he says. Layden expects sales to pick up this year in large part because of availability. “We’ll have freer supply in the marketplace,” he says of 2017.

Last month, however, saw the release of sci-fi shooter Farpoint and the Aim Controller peripheral, which Layden believes is the start of a “second wave” of games hitting the platform. “When a new console or a new platform launches, there’s a lot of activity driving launch day,” he says. “And then there’s the inevitable lull between that and the next launch of titles. I think we’re seeing that happening now. Farpoint is the lead of that, and we’ll be talking about a number of other titles at E3.” According to Sony, PSVR owners have purchased 5.25 million VR games to date, and play an average of 25 minutes per session.

Outside of games, Sony is also looking to expand the platform with different types of experiences. To that end, Sony Pictures is bringing an upcoming experience based on 'Breaking Bad' to PSVR, which will be helmed by the show’s creator Vince Gilligan. “For PSVR, we came to it from a gaming context,” Layden says. “But we knew at the time when we were developing it that a lot of people will have interest in this.”

One big question that remains is the life cycle of a platform like PSVR. New consoles come out on average around every 5 to 6 years, while smartphones are often refreshed on an annual basis. It’s not clear yet where virtual reality hardware like PSVR fits on that spectrum.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/5/15719382/playstation-vr-sony-sales-one-million

Around the Network

Good sales figures. i like "Summer Lesson" with VR :) The future is interesting.

Hmm, that's not that great actually.
915k on Februari 19th, only 85k more in nearly 3.5 months, 25k per month, 5.6k per week since Februari 19th.
He did say over 1 million so could be a bit better than 5.6k per week.

5.6 million software sold, I guess I'm way ahead of the curve with about 30 VR games/add-ons bought. I also spend on avg 2 hours a day in VR instead of 25 minutes. Anyway there are enough people online not to have to wait longer than a minute to get a niche game like Bridge Crew going. (It's cross play with OR and Vive which helps) That's first week though, activity on DC VR is very low.

Hopefully Sony will announce a price cut for PSVR at E3 to speed things up a bit. It works great, yet still costs CAD 550 for the base headset here, CAD 699 with camera and move.

Good. But enough for Sony to care? We'll see this E3.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I expected something around 1.3 million, but sales grow up in Fall, with second wave games.
By the way, Fallout 4 and Skyrim VR are going to release on PS4? These two games would be the bestseller of VR-games. If Bethesda make them PC-exclusive, Oculuse and Vive outsold PSVR. If Bethesda make them Scorpio-exclusive, Scorpio's VR outsold PSVR. I hope they make it multiplat.
PS: sorry for my poor grammar.

Around the Network

For a fad it sold well

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

That's not that great. SEGA 32X & SEGA CD part 2 is all it's turned out to be.

Kemono said:

I expected something around 1.3 million, but sales grow up in Fall, with second wave games.
By the way, Fallout 4 and Skyrim VR are going to release on PS4? These two games would be the bestseller of VR-games. If Bethesda make them PC-exclusive, Oculuse and Vive outsold PSVR. If Bethesda make them Scorpio-exclusive, Scorpio's VR outsold PSVR. I hope they make it multiplat.
PS: sorry for my poor grammar.

PS4 is to weak.  At the moment it can't handle Fallout 4 at 60FPS so have fun with the VR version :s.  The Pro maybe but Sony said VR games should also work on PS4.

BTW: the hardware is sales aren't that bad but sofware is dissapointing that 's probably less than 1% of all games sold on PS4.

It sold really bad in my opinion, given the push this was given.But it was expected, or at least I expected it.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

He does point out that they faced supply constraints so they dialled back promotions until they could better meet demand. However as SvennoJ said, this is quite on the low side. Though I didn't expect massive numbers, I did expect more than this. I'm still sticking to 5 million lifetime being a very respectable number for Sony, so if they can manage that, it is good. The attach rate is pretty good though!