By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - DF vs Tekken 7: 720p on Xbone, 864p on PS4

Mr Puggsly said:
Heavenly_King said:

I dont know if amazing is the right word.    When an open world RPG (Witcher 3) game looks better graphically than a game that has ONLY 2 characters on screen.....Something is really bad with that fighting game.

I remember the PS2 era, and Tekken 5 looked better than any other game around when it was released.  I wonder why cant that be the same scenario this generation.    Weird stuff.

The problem could be the engine.

It has great lighting effects but maybe that's very resource intensive. SFV appeared to make a lot of visual sacrifices to achieve 1080p/60 fps. Such as low quality shadows, 30 fps background animations, and objectively bad physics on clothes/hair. MKX's graphics aren't amazing but has good lighting effects and is overall well polished.

However, the expection for UE4 is Gears 4 looks fantastic and achieves 60 fps in multiplayer. MS has shown more potential with engine than probably any studio.

I think that the problem is with the developers then.   If a 3rd person shooter with lots of explosions, many players can look great at 1080p and 60fps.   Then the Tekken Devs are not much talented at using the engine.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Radek said:
Xbox may have slightly lower input lag, but it runs in 720p, has cut-down several graphical details, screen tearing, double buffer vsync, 40 second loading times and smaller player-base, so it's really not recommended if you have both consoles.

I still want it on Xbox, but after price cuts and hopefully updates fix some problems. Who knows, could be the best version when Scorpio releases as well at a glorious 1440p.

For a fighting game, its amazing how hard its pushing these consoles.

It should be native 4k on xbox scorpio.

AlfredoTurkey said:
Radek said:
Xbox may have slightly lower input lag, but it runs in 720p, has cut-down several graphical details, screen tearing, double buffer vsync, 40 second loading times and smaller player-base, so it's really not recommended if you have both consoles.

I would think input lag would trump everything in a fighting game. What do you want? To win more often, or to lose more often while looking at a prettier screen? The answer seems obvious to me. 

Not that I am buying the game or even own an Xbox One.

That's not now input lag works tho. 

If you play the game with 120ms input lag, then you will learn to play it that way and your brain would adjust. 

The issue is when one person is playing with 120ms lag vs someone that has only 100ms lag..... Then the person with the lower lag will always have a frame advantage. 

So as long as everyone on the PS4 plays with the same lag, they are good. 

Another issue is if you go for a competition and then what they use is the game running on a console that's now what you played on. At that point all ur moves will be off. You would seem to be doing things too early or late depending on what console ur coming from. 

Radek said:
Azzanation said:

What i dont get is why would they choose a stupid resolution number like 864p when they could mirror the XBO resolution and use the extra resources for better effects? Who tells companies to do this? Tekken 7 on PS4 could destroy the XBO version if only they opted for the same res options. Instead for most of the generation lets just take the short cut and raise the res to a unique figure thats not that much better then 720p. Devs should stick to the 720p, 900p, 1080p and 4k options (except for PC) and use what ever resources they have left on framerate, effects and other bells and whistles.

But they did exactly that? PS4 version already has higher Anisotropic filtering, ambient oclussion, no screen tearing and proper vsync.

Also shorter loading times, why would they just go all the way down to 720p?

Increasing details from high to ultra actually does very little and even makes the game blurry thanks to Chromatic Abberation.

Umm because there is alot more to add than those little things you mention. How about a better AA? Why waste the extra resources on a resolution which wouldnt make a difference anyway? 864p.. just no. Stick to the 720p, 900p, 1080p formula, resolutions our TVs recognized.

Snoopy said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I still want it on Xbox, but after price cuts and hopefully updates fix some problems. Who knows, could be the best version when Scorpio releases as well at a glorious 1440p.

For a fighting game, its amazing how hard its pushing these consoles.

Scorpio doesn't have the power to do fighting games at 4K.

Scropio can only do simple stuff in 4K, like open world games and ultra realistic driving sims.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Radek said:
Azzanation said:

Umm because there is alot more to add than those little things you mention. How about a better AA? Why waste the extra resources on a resolution which wouldnt make a difference anyway? 864p.. just no. Stick to the 720p, 900p, 1080p formula, resolutions our TVs recognized.

Sorry but I don't agree. PS4 Pro has higher details and 1080p and it doesn't look that much better aside from the resolution.

I have PC version and high preset doesn't look much worse than Ultra preset, in fact Post Processing on ultra makes game look ugly cause of the Chromatic Abberation and DF mentioned that too.

PS4 version still has slightly higher details so they should stick to 864p cause 720p definitely looks too soft and should be always avoided.

Now if they had to cut down graphics below Xbox One just to make it to 864p then sure... make it 720p but atm it's higher than Xbox at higher resolution.

Ultra details on 720p would just look horrible.

Also it doesn't matter at all if it's 864p instead of 720p or 900p as most TV's don't suport native 900p anyway, as long as aspect ratio is right 864p will always look better than 720p no matter the TV and very slightly worse than 900p.

Thats fine. AA was just an example. I turn AA off on all my PC games.

They could have still added heaps of other things. Instead the company goes for the cheap and easy method. Heres more pixels.. i wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 720p and 864p especially in a fighting game. However improved lightning, better shadows, or they could have spent the extra time in fixing the input lag issues which is probably the most important part of any fighting game. But nope. Heres 864p.. yay?

To me its just cheap and easy and doesnt look like they care for there customers and think that by offering more pixels will satisfy the brainless gamers out there. Tekken 7 could have looked alot better at 720p with a bunch of effects added in the visual department.

Mr Puggsly said:
Snoopy said:

Scorpio doesn't have the power to do fighting games at 4K.

Scropio can only do simple stuff in 4K, like open world games and ultra realistic driving sims.

Yeah, battle front 2 with frost bite engine at 4k is pretty easy too. Nice try Microsoft.

AlfredoTurkey said:

I would think input lag would trump everything in a fighting game. What do you want? To win more often, or to lose more often while looking at a prettier screen? The answer seems obvious to me. 

Not that I am buying the game or even own an Xbox One.

I don't see that as a big issue since everyone will have the same level of input level, so it wouldn't be an advantage for anyone. Also, if you want to get into tournaments, the PS4 version is the correct one.

Darc Requiem said:
Yeah the Jaguar cores will bottleneck the Scorpio. The Destiny devs flat out stated that the reason the PS4 Pro isn't running Destiny 2 at 60fps is the CPU.

Well, I thought it was a poor excuse. It's not like Destiny is a uber demanding game and the first one was actually quite uninpressive. The world is reasonably big, but I remember running around a lot until finding other people. A fps like Battlefront is probably doing much more CPU-wise to constantly update the position of dozens of players.

Also, Sony has a clause that demands that Pro games that are online run at the same fps than on the base model. So that alone would limit the Pro version at 30fps unless they could also ramp up the framerate on the base model.

torok said:
Darc Requiem said:
Yeah the Jaguar cores will bottleneck the Scorpio. The Destiny devs flat out stated that the reason the PS4 Pro isn't running Destiny 2 at 60fps is the CPU.

Well, I thought it was a poor excuse. It's not like Destiny is a uber demanding game and the first one was actually quite uninpressive. The world is reasonably big, but I remember running around a lot until finding other people. A fps like Battlefront is probably doing much more CPU-wise to constantly update the position of dozens of players.

Also, Sony has a clause that demands that Pro games that are online run at the same fps than on the base model. So that alone would limit the Pro version at 30fps unless they could also ramp up the framerate on the base model.

The Jaguar Cores are pretty weak. There has been mulitple benchmarks of games with PS4 Pro patches that can't hit 60fps. Rise of The Tomb Raider and FFXV immediately come to mind. The Jaguar based CPUs of this generations are a huge bottle neck. They are low end mobile cores. Gaming isn't something they were really designed for.