By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rank Nintendo's post-SNES consoles for 3rd party support

GC > Wii > N64 > Wii U

I bet Switch will sit beween GC and Wii.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Around the Network

Gamecube and Wii were the best. It doesn't look like anyone else has mentioned that the Gamecube was the last Nintendo console with licensed sports titles that third parties actually expected anybody to play. The Wii would get dreadful versions of those types of games, the U quickly stopped getting any at all. Wii had all sorts of cool games made specifically for the system though, Boom Blox and No More Heroes as mentioned in the OP but also Zack & Wiki, Little King's Story and de Blob, among others. It also had real random shots in the dark that nobody remembers such as Deadly Creatures and Cursed Mountain. Your mileage may vary as to whether those games were that good but I love that they were even attempted. So I give Wii the edge because a lot of solid or interesting titles were made with that console in mind.

I largely skipped the 64 but I'm still confident in saying it was better than the U. Wii U barely got anything and what it did get was usually gimped in one way or another.

johnsobas said:
when i read the OP i knew he was too young for the N64 era. People that were there know that is just not true. It's hard to experience that era at a later date, and that gen is the hardest by far to experience later because 3D was too new at the time. You had to deal with terrible looking graphics, horrible framerates, awful camera, and bad controls. At the time you didn't see it that way, it was all revolutionary and you had a lot of patience for these type of things.

Agreed, mostly. I questioned whether things were actually improving when we first moved into 3D.  In hindsight, I see that gaming was going in the right direction.  But, at the time, I thought many of the 3D characters were terrible.  I especially disliked Virtua Fighter.  But, popular opinion seemed to be that it was amazing. 

Anyway, yeah.  Many (most?) games of that area basically suck, when played in 2017.  But, they were viewed through a much different lens back then.  

GCN > Wii > N64 > Wii U

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

The Wii's third party lineup is underrated.

Yeah, you had a lot of shovelware, but there were lots of quality titles too; Monster Hunter Tri, Goldeneye 007, COD MW/W@W/BO/MW3, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, No More Heroes 1 & 2, Red Steel 2, Sonic All Stars Racing, Sonic Colours, de Blob 1 & 2, Silent Hill Shattered Memories, Rayman Origins...

Around the Network

1. Gamecube
2. Wii- Ya it did not get ports of many of the major titles on PS360 but it got quite a few 3rd party exlusives
3. WiiU- Pretty bad, but N64 got even less support.
4. N64 (possibly greatest 1st/2nd party support of any console ever, but 3rd parties just did not show up)

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Considering the Wii had backwards compatibility with gamecube... N64 > Wii > NES > Gamecube > Wii U.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Tough to say.. Wii had the most quantity of 3rd party games, but Gamecube probably had the best ones. It was actually one of my favorite Nintendo consoles for third party games outside SNES. And it's probably the only Nintendo console where I actually prefer more 3rd (and 2nd) party games than Nintendo ones..

Tales of Symphonia, Eternal Darkness, Phantasy Star Online, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, Super Monkey Ball, Resident Evil series, Timesplitters 2, Soul Calibur 2, Tony Hawk 3, etc.. Some of these aren't just still my favorite Gamecube games but favorite GAMES period. 

N64 wasn't good for 3rd party but certainly great when talking 2nd party, as Rare back in the 90s were probably my favorite gaming company second only to Nintendo. 

Wii U? Bleh..

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Gamecube is probably the one with the most 3rd party titles I've liked from those consoles (Tales of Symphonia, Phantasy Star Online, Gladius, TimeSplitter 2 &3 to list a few).

Going by number of third party games I actually bought (or got); N64 > GC > Wii > WiiU.

Though that's probably not really fair since I just have way more N64 games than I do WiiU games, about 50 for the former and like only 12 or something on WiiU.

Gamecube could probably have been much higher had I actually payed attention that gen.