By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch Online announced

While I would rather not see this paid model continue to expand, but at least Nintendo continues to do so with the customer's interests in focus.

This is far superior value than what MSony offer.
1/3 the cost and still gives you free games. You may argue that classic nes/snes games are not the same as the games given by MSony model, but they are. In both cases you are getting old games that are only worth a few bucks. I personally like VC content more than 99% of the games MSony offer each month. It also appears Nintendo dropped the 1 game per month and only for that month limitation. This reads as if you can select any game from what is being labelled as their classic library. That has potentially to be FAR more valuable and superior to any of the years old games MSony shovel out.

The only differences where MSony will still obviously be better is in voice chat and possibly cloud saves. Granted, Nintendo's vision for this new app may actually be a game-changer and awesome, but I still think the simplicity and in just having it integrated into the console will always be better. But, at only $20 this is still a far better deal. (especially as I could care less about voice chat, but that's just me)

Still hope they break down VC in E3.

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:
I wonder which games won't be requiring the online fee to play them online since it says "most games will require a paid online service subscription from Nintendo in order to play online."

Probally those that charge a fee to play on them normally such as DQX and FFXIV(I can wish). I remember when Live! first went live and they charged for the internet ontop of the fee the game was charging but that changed after a few years, to if they charge a fee, to use the company's own servers then they will not require you to be subscribed.

As for the the topic itself. It is a pretty good price when you consider as someone put it that it is now the "Netflix" of classic gaming. If they only have NES titles to begin with and go into SNES/N64 it would be excellent. Imagine playing multiplayer in Secret of Mana, or Tecmo Bowl, or Golden Eye, heck playing the orginal Super Mario titles are more enjoyable with Luigi in tow. Up to the N64 most titles are small and would allow for a hybrid streaming where the game is loaded into memory first then you can play. And the favorites are stored on the system. This is almost enough to justify the $20/year.

But I have to say the voice chat is still an abomination, though I can live with it, it's still unesscessarily complicated. Though they can make it "better" by releasing a premium hook up where a blutooth adapter fits into the switch and the phone/headset syncs to that, through in an AV out for those who like wires on the headphones. Then the phone can be on your lap for the network app. And as for those who are unfortant enough to have a Windows phone, most store sell andriod devices for $20 or less that you can just use at home as a Nintendo interface device.

The price doesn't seem... insane? Still I can't seem to bring myself to pay for any online service. Great they extended it to 2018. Gives me time to play online and Nintendo adjust what the online. What are they calling it? NSO?

Not for me. Just don't foresee enough switch titles that I want to play online to justify the cost. Perhaps when more games are out I'll change my mind.

Free until 2018. and $20 a year after that!?
I am in! :)

Around the Network
Azuren said:
$20 makes me feel like I'm gonna get a third of what PS+ gives me.

Too bad Sony isn't charging 120$ for PS+. You could get the double of what you're getting now.

Ka-pi96 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

It doesn't really matter what the value is though, pay to play is always shitty. It could come with a lump of coal instead and we'd still pay anyway cause we want to play our games. Atleast Nintendo isn't putting in a bunch of superfluous crap to try and justify a $60/year price.

It really does matter what the value is though.

If half the features that I'm paying for are literally unusable since I don't have a phone to use their app on... then that's terrible value!

I brought this up before. But since most games that need to played online are probally going to be played at home or where there is a WiFi hotspot. A person who has a windows phone could go and get one of the cheap android phones for $20 if they really want to use the app, I know it makes it less of a value. But you don't need to set up the cellular, by leaving the SIM card out or pulling it out,   part of the phone just set up the WiFi stuff, and the phone part will default into emergancy call only access.

It's $20 and I can keep the VC games as long as I pay? That sounds fair to me. Will sign up even though I don't play online much.

Louie said:
It's $20 and I can keep the VC games as long as I pay? That sounds fair to me. Will sign up even though I don't play online much.

The classic games that you "keep" kind of sold me on it, I know I'm getting my hopes up a little much but they could extend it to custom indie games that are only made for the service. Much like they use to do with the sattliview that would be great.

Good price, but it'd have to be cheaper considering the lesser focus on online gaming.

At that price I can probably deal with it, even though I'd only ever use online on a couple of games. Though I'd expect price increases are on the way in the coming years.