By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why NieR: Automata is a Masterpiece and my favorite game of all time.

Tagged games:

Have you Played NieR: Automata?

Yes! 38 41.30%

Not yet but i will. 38 41.30%

No 16 17.39%

Total:92

There is no way i can put into few words all the reasons why i believe this game deserves the praise im giving it, so im gonna do something even better and im gonna leave a video here i found a couple of days ago that describes so perfectly why i love this game that it makes me wonder if the author of it is some lost twin brother i never knew i had.

I will however expand on some topics regarding gameplay below the video that the author of it couldnt cover due to time constraints.

WARNING FOR MINOR VISUAL SPOILERS, i suggest listening to the audio while the video plays on the background, except for the Yoko Taro subbed interview part which starts at 5:37 and ends at 6:33 (which obviously has no spoilers in it).

Link (in case the video fails to be embeded):

The gameplay aside from feeling great is also enhanced thanks to the the skill system, which makes it the most flexible character action game i have played, it allows you to change you gameplay style in such drastic ways it can indeed feel like you are suddenly playing a different game, to give you an example all the core gameplay mechanics of the most popular platinum games are available in this game as skills, and they do work exactly as they do in their original games (with the benefit that you can improve them to make them beyond OP).

So its up to you if you wanna play this game as Bayonetta or Metal Gear Rising (or both at the same time), but keep in mind they are but an option of many skills you can equip and unequip at your leisure, to the point that i never used said skills present in previous games, because i found out that some skills in this game allow me to take an awesome gameplay mechanic which is present in many character action games, (which i wont mention becuase its a big surprise) and use it in ways that were impossible in every other game said mechanic was featured before, (also the in game lore behind this mechanic is the best one ive ever seen).

And finally we have the Pod Programs which are special attacks that your ally drone / Pod can do, and the quantity and variety of them allow you to have a response for every situation, not to mention you can always find something that will fit whatever gameplay style you decide to use, and its all of this plus the weapon combinations and the inherent abilities each weapon has that makes this game a pleasure to play, and by far (at least in my opinion) the best gameplay ive used in any game.

And let me finish by saying that as amazing as the gameplay may be it is just but one of the many things this game excedes at, the characters, writing, story, soundtrack and all the other elements of the game work so well... that i just gotta be honest and say that no other game has given me so many and such STRONG emotions, i really wanna talk about them since i know people would be completely surprised by what i have to say but for the sake of avoiding spoilers i wont, just let me finish this paragraph by saying that while i have thought for the longest time that games are indeed a form of Art, no other game made that so clear to me as NieR: Automata.

Around the Network

Heard only good things about it and it will certainly find itself in a lot of GOTY lists. I just wish it would be less Bayonetta and more Nier. I don't care about the combat stuff, I just really want to experience the world. But it's cool that they're giving me the option to make it as easy as possible for me.

Now if they'd only patch in proper controller support I can pick it up again. Maybe I should just play it with mouse and keyboard.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

estebxx said:

The gameplay aside from feeling great is also enhanced thanks to the the skill system, which makes it the most flexible character action game i have played, it allows you to change you gameplay style in such drastic ways it can indeed feel like you are suddenly playing a different game, to give you an example all the core gameplay mechanics of the most popular platinum games are available in this game as skills, and they do work exactly as they do in their original games (with the benefit that you can improve them to make them beyond OP).

Gameplay in NieR:Two is straight up copy of gameplay from previous P* project - Transformers Devastation.

Apart from gorgeous OST and couple of touchy moments this game is mediocre at best. 

this game is osom.

its not my fav. game of all time but its deff somewhere in the list of best of this generation behind Persona 5, Forza Horizon 3 and The Witcher 3 somewhere.

I really enjoyed Nier a lot more then I would have expected and the fast combat with the story where amazing. The second playtrough did burn me a little since the bosses didn't scale in level and i felt it was wayyy to easy but apart from that everything else and especially the final hours and music score, epic

Twitter @CyberMalistix

Around the Network

Neir Automata & Yakuza 0 are my fave games this year so far. I agree that Nier is just brilliant in about every way. I esp like the Shmup sections. I wish it tied more into the first Nier but then again they are all loosely connected in the same universe going back to Drakengard. I hope we get a 3rd game from Platinum.

Will pick it up the moment they fix the PC version.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

I love the fact it doesn't have autosave or that health replenish over time. The fact you can add and remove all kind of perks to your character in the form of chips do allow a huge amount of personal modification. I prefer to play it like a combo between bloodborne and Bayonetta. I think it's a great game and it also has a good story and an intresting yet charming world.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

I really enjoyed this game aswell, I'm so glad I picked it up.

same here