By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How much does the round earth lobby pay you?

Johnw1104 said:

I'm a little confused as to what you're claiming here. The speed at which the earth rotates on the equator is indeed a little over 1,000 mph, and the speed does indeed also decrease as you move away from the equator. My best friend's uncle is a very literal rocket scientist (engineer) and he told us (and I've since confirmed via research) one of the main reasons that space agencies tend to be located near the equator (such as the one I live near, Cape Canaveral) is because the additional speed reduces the necessary amount of fuel and therefore also reduces the weight. They've been piggybacking off of that for quite some time.

The surface of the earth is little more than a crust floating atop far hotter and denser materials, all which are being pulled inward by gravity and also being pulled by the orbiting moon, which leads to a great deal of churning. Still, the crust is relatively stable (at least from our short-existence perspectives) as a result of both floating atop said core, but also because of the consistency of its rotation along its axis and the stabilizing force that the moon has served upon the axis itself.

This notion that "the earth's surface would be untenable if the equator rotated faster than polar regions" would likely be true if the earth were suddenly a perfect sphere. It is not, however, a perfect sphere, but is instead an oblate spheroid (picture something closer to a more rounded rugby ball). Those very forces resulting from the earth's rotation caused it to slightly flatten dating back to it first coalescing, which is why we have both an "equatorial diameter (~12,756 km)" and a "polar diameter" (~12,713 km)" (the difference being called an "equatorial bulge", which just about all active planets have), and why we have both an actual highest point on earth in Mount Chimborazu in Ecuador and a "highest point above sea level" in Mount Everest.

These differences have been measured for ages now, with atomic clocks actually being modified to correct for such time dilating relativistic issues back in the 1970's, as altitude, speed, and even the stronger pull of gravity in the polar regions (a result of the earth's shape, with the equator bowing out and the polar regions therefore being closer to the center of gravity) all require clocks equipped to compensate for the differences if they are to maintain a consistent time or communicate with the GPS.

These forces have been measured just about every way it's possible to measure them, so it's not so much theory as it is mandatory that the equator rotates faster than the polar regions; it simply isn't possible for any three dimensional shape to rotate on an axis without experiencing variations of speed along its surface, unless it is a "doesn't actually exist" perfect sphere, but even then there would be some bulging depending on the material and the speed of rotation. I'm not sure if we're on the same page or not to be honest.

Was there an actual disagreement here? I know that flat-earthers often use an argument that fails to delineate between angular and linear velocity/momentum.

If you mess that up, I can see a cavalcade of successive errors borne out of the confusion. 

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
Aeolus451 said:

No. I'm open to the idea of a god or gods but I don't believe they exist.

Neither do agnostics.  They believe it's possible for a god/s to exist but that we likely cannot ever prove it one way or the other.

Which seems like the most reasonable pov

SpokenTruth said:
S.Peelman said:

Because otherwise we'd get blown off?

Only if it accelerated.  If in constant motion, speed is irrelevant.

Well you got me there.

VGPolyglot said:
zefuni said:
just as Barbara replied I'm amazed that a student can earn $9412 in four weeks on the
computer . check this site out DOWN HARE TO REPLAYCLICK THIS LINK—— ◐◐◐◐◐◐◐ >>> >>>>>> http://www.jobpro22.com

FUCK!! Spambots are infecting normal threads now too.

Hahaha that post in this thread is fucking great.

OT: I am a member of one of the major REL-worker unions, and we have negotiated a rather decent wage for our members. Standard wage of 23$ per hour, and a bonus of 100$ per verified convert.

Wish they would pay me for my university tuition. I mean I am studying physics so I am part of their propaganda machine

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Around the Network
Aeolus451 said:
SpokenTruth said:

The common term for that stance is agnostic.

That means you are an agnostic atheist (a/gnostiscism relating to if you are sure, regardless of if you believe or don't believe, and a/theism relating to if you believe or not).

Goodnightmoon said:
SpokenTruth said:

Neither do agnostics.  They believe it's possible for a god/s to exist but that we likely cannot ever prove it one way or the other.

Which seems like the most reasonable pov

But its the cowards way out. I mean if any human uses logic we would know that it is impossible to prove or disprove the existence of God since we work and live in the universe and follow its physical laws while God if He exists would be the creator of said laws. It would be like characters in games trying to figure out if they are digital simulations it is impossible we cannot even begin to perceive how God would be if He exists. I feel like choosing one or the other is better than the "I don't know" approach. I mean you are already living like atheists so call yourselves that own IP to it don't hide behind the curtain of agnostic.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

SpokenTruth said:
Aeolus451 said:

Maybe not millions but definitely hundreds or thousands of genders the left is trying to push. 

Didn't canada pass some law forcing everyone to use the correct pronoun for 70 different genders and if you use the wrong pronoun, you can be fined and possibly jailed?  

I'm fine with transgendered people if they conform within binary genders but there's limts to my toleration of the absurdity of their claims and forcing me to play along. At what point is a person just in lala land? At what point do you stop taking someone seriously? There's people who want to be trans racial and others who want to be treated as a dragon or a cat, I shit you not.

You sound like you are confusing gender and sex.  Science only recognizes a few sexes but dozens of genders.

Biologically, there are 6 sexual chromosomal combinations. Anatomically, there are 4 physical combinations.  As for gender, that's a psychological factor that works similar to a slide scale.

So don't calim the left ignores the science when the science backs up the left, not the right.

No, I'm not. I just disagree with ya. Gender is not fluid or on a scale.

Teeqoz said:
Aeolus451 said:

That means you are an agnostic atheist (a/gnostiscism relating to if you are sure, regardless of if you believe or don't believe, and a/theism relating to if you believe or not).

Did I ask you to find out a label for me? No. 

Aeolus451 said:
Teeqoz said:

Did I ask you to find out a label for me? No. 

Hey, no need to get mad. I didn't do anything rude, I just pointed out what the technical term for your stance on religion was. Most people aren't aware of what the terms agnostic and atheist actually imply (I wasn't either until sometime last year), and I don't see the harm in informing people. Even though I replied to you it doesn't mean you are the only one reading it, it's a public thread in a public forum, maybe someone else found my post useful, and it certainly wasn't offensive in any way.