By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Monster Hunter XX – Switch vs. 3DS comparisons

To him graphic is everything without taking any mechanics and gameplay upgrade as the biggest part of that defined the genre

luckily japanese gamers are not that stupid to judge a game based on graphics alone to justified the purchase and for Monster Hunter they valued gameplay and mechanics upgrade more than graphics. 

Gameplay+mechanics >> graphics 

Around the Network

I like it, but still very polygonal. Are the monster models and geometry more complex/detailed than 3dS?

SpokenTruth said:
j.thomaz said:
I like it, but still very polygonal. Are the monster models and geometry more complex/detailed than 3dS?

This is basically a port with higher resolution textures and ouput.

No new geometry or models.

That sucks. I haven't bought the mh wiiu as it was just higher res textures a couple of new monsters and high output.

So the last mh home console still is mh tri?! Not fair, capcom, not fair.

j.thomaz said:
SpokenTruth said:

This is basically a port with higher resolution textures and ouput.

No new geometry or models.

That sucks. I haven't bought the mh wiiu as it was just higher res textures a couple of new monsters and high output.

You don't have to worry about that MH is not about graphics animation works+combat system+weapon physics and weight triumph the graphical factor.

no other action games come close to MHXX when it comes to animation works

katakpisang said:
j.thomaz said:

You don't have to worry about that MH is not about graphics animation works+combat system+weapon physics and weight triumph the graphical factor.

no other action games come close to MHXX when it comes to animation works

I don't disagree, but man, how beautiful are the worlds on mh3, even with the low res and everything. I just find frustrating to not have a brand new game benefiting of the more modern hardware. I imagine what they could do with all the extra power.

Around the Network
katakpisang said:
curl-6 said:

Shenmue, Dreamcast

Monster Hunter 4, 3DS

Nice emulation picture there

vs

The pic I posted is Shenmue at its native resolution of 640x480: more than three times the resolution of 3DS, by the way. It's just a proper capture as opposed to your heavily compressed ones.

Good animation can't outweigh textures that would make the PS2 cringe, Dreamcast level polygon counts, and PS1/N64 level resolution.

I'm honestly not sure why anyone's surprised that the Switch version isn't a massive improvement. I don't think Capcom is fully confident that Monster Hunter will actually pull the numbers it did on the 3DS, so they're obviously going to be more conservative with the budget. I mean, otherwise they would have just went ahead and made a new Monster Hunter game from the ground up for the Switch instead of making a port.

I think a lot of the complaints will be much more valid if they did this again for a new MH game on the Switch, which isn't impossible. They could very likely do that, or even worse just not make one at all.

You know what, I'm going to miss the pixelated look of 3D models like that. The 3DS seems to be the end of that era.

Update: New Screenshots

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)

Definitely looks nicer, but not amazing.. feels like Twilight Princess and HD all over again :p

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]