By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 OS memory usage decreased with latest SDK...

Guys, n0ub questions, wtf is an SDK? >_>

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Around the Network
ChronotriggerJM said:
Guys, n0ub questions, wtf is an SDK? >_>

software dev kit

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

@ChronotriggerJM- Software Development Kit

--

Anyway, I think what they really need to add is more space for viewing your media files. The XMB is simple and easy to navigate and all, but it feels like an eternity to scroll through music, pictures, and videos. I'm thinking they should maybe add at least one or two more columns to make media viewing quicker.

ssj12 said:
DogWeed said:
doesnt the ps3 have one SPE reserved just for the OS?

did you not read my post???????

lol yea sorry i kind of skimmed through it.

ssj12 said:
Noobie said:
thats impressive.. so hopefully pretty soon they will be at same memory usage as XBOX 360 OS memory usage.

its impossible as the 360 has an extra 10mbs of ram dedicated for the OS/Dashboard. The PS3 doesnt.

That extra 10MB of RAM is in the GPU and it is additional RAM on top of the already available RAM.  It is an advantage it will always have over the PS3, regardless of software updates.

As for the PS3 OS catching the 360 one in terms of usage, I don't think it will happen soon.  Microsoft's strong suit is software and OS's, and they had a years headstart. 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
makingmusic476 said:
ssj12 said:
Noobie said:
thats impressive.. so hopefully pretty soon they will be at same memory usage as XBOX 360 OS memory usage.

its impossible as the 360 has an extra 10mbs of ram dedicated for the OS/Dashboard. The PS3 doesnt.

I thought that was a framebuffer for the GPU? And that's how the 360 gets its "free" AA?

Sony's ram for the CELL is faster then the 360's ram. So the PS3 can clear cached data faster in that ram. Also the the CELL's 7th SPE is dedicated to the XMB OS so in-game XMB shouldnt be that hard to run without making a game suffer from lose of ram to use. The game wil probably be paused, ram given to the 7th SPE, 7th SPE opens XMB, runs w/e player wants, game makes adjustments for in-game music if thats what user plays, some ram given back to game, game unfreezes with no hindered gameplay with music playing.

The 360 doesn't have free AA, the Xenon actually is horrid for AA. Its just that there is extra ram freed up by the 10mbs of ram for the OS unlike the PS3 which no matter what has 506mbs of ram to use vs 512mbs of ram the 360 has.

No. The 10mb of RAM is not intended for the OS. The 10mb die of DRAM is embedded directly on the GPU, and it was intended to give developers "free" AA. However, you are correct that the Xenon is horrible for AA. The problem is that the framebuffer isn't large enough to fit a full 720x1280 image, which is why games like Halo 3 use a 600p image instead. They can't utilize the "free" AA any other way, hence it being not so free (and hence my use of quotations), and it is the reason why most true 720p games having no AA (Gears).

And I'm not quite sure what the Cell rant had to do with my post. :P

starcraft said:
ssj12 said:
Noobie said:

That extra 10MB of RAM is in the GPU and it is additional RAM on top of the already available RAM.  It is an advantage it will always have over the PS3, regardless of software updates.

As for the PS3 OS catching the 360 one in terms of usage, I don't think it will happen soon.  Microsoft's strong suit is software and OS's, and they had a years headstart. 

Vista and Vista SP1 says hi

anyways, your right, had to look it up. 10Mbs of ram still doesn't give any major increase in capabilities. If it was 128mbs I'd say yes the 360 has a definitive advantage but 10mbs can only increase loading speeds in same games or allow more cover-up on graphical errors.  OS vs OS the dashboard probably is a heavier OS then the XMB due to the animations and the way its probably coded.  I can only guess, but i can't see it being a very clean code due to the pountless number of menus you can access in-game.

Still don't count out any company's software programmers.  There is a reason why FREE OSs like Fedora kicks the crap out of Windows.  As long as Sony hired good programmers they can catch up to Microsoft's console OS's quality, features, and usage quite fast even without much trouble. 

The PSN is already a more stable gaming network.  The new PS store is nicer then the 360's. The XMB is a cleaner OS then the Dashboard.  It's just missing features but if you ever paid attention in some firmware updates the improved XMB features, added some, and increased functionality. 

Also don't mention Anna either.  The PS3 has a scaler chip too.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

starcraft said:

I called you the "worlds biggest fanboy" in another thread, and I will use examples to demonstrate my point.

Here are two very good ones. First, if the PS3's OS ever became more then 10 meg smaller then the 360's, then in fact, a software update could remove the advantage over the 360. Will it ever happen? Who knows, but making a blanket statement like that, is being a fanboy.

MS is, without question, the worst developer in history when it comes to bloatware. To claim that MS's experience in software development somehow means it can beat another company in generating code with a small footprint is... well... false. The things that make the 360 easy to develop on is the same reason why reducing the size of the OS will be extremely difficult. The fact that Sony's OS is completely new from the ground up (bad for developers), means sony is free to do whatever they want with it. They don't need to tie into MSN Messenger,  run DirectX, or tie into any of the XBL stuff. While all that stuff is very cool and great to have, it limits how small the OS can be. Sony has zero obligations to keep anything the same.

Both advantages for Sony. 

starcraft said:
ssj12 said:
Noobie said:

That extra 10MB of RAM is in the GPU and it is additional RAM on top of the already available RAM. It is an advantage it will always have over the PS3, regardless of software updates.

As for the PS3 OS catching the 360 one in terms of usage, I don't think it will happen soon. Microsoft's strong suit is software and OS's, and they had a years headstart.

this is like the 10th time you've failed this week.

vista is garbage

TheRealMafoo said:
starcraft said:

That extra 10MB of RAM is in the GPU and it is additional RAM on top of the already available RAM. It is an advantage it will always have over the PS3, regardless of software updates.

As for the PS3 OS catching the 360 one in terms of usage, I don't think it will happen soon. Microsoft's strong suit is software and OS's, and they had a years headstart.

I called you the "worlds biggest fanboy" in another thread, and I will use examples to demonstrate my point.

Here are two very good ones. First, if the PS3's OS ever became more then 10 meg smaller then the 360's, then in fact, a software update could remove the advantage over the 360. Will it ever happen? Who knows, but making a blanket statement like that, is being a fanboy.

MS is, without question, the worst developer in history when it comes to bloatware. To claim that MS's experience in software development somehow means it can beat another company in generating code with a small footprint is... well... false. The things that make the 360 easy to develop on is the same reason why reducing the size of the OS will be extremely difficult. The fact that Sony's OS is completely new from the ground up (bad for developers), means sony is free to do whatever they want with it. They don't need to tie into MSN Messenger, run DirectX, or tie into any of the XBL stuff. While all that stuff is very cool and great to have, it limits how small the OS can be. Sony has zero obligations to keep anything the same.

Both advantages for Sony.

First point-  If the only way you can win arguments is to call your opposition names, you need to take up debating or mock trial or something.  Better yet, seek counselling.

Second point- The 10Mb is SEPERATE from the main RAM and as such is utilized through different structural processes.  I agree with the other posters that 10MB is not enough, but this particular 'frame-buffer' is something the PS3 would never have, irrespective of how much more or less RAM the PS3's OS used.  Whilst there are of course other ways for devs to take advantage of the PS3's RAM, it will ALWAYS come at the cost of some primary RAM.

Third point- You attack me for "blanket statements" and then go ahead and say "MS is, without question, the worst developer in history when it comes to bloatware."  Comparing Windows with the 360 OS is apples and oranges my friend.  Microsoft's goal with PC's and laptops is to bring in money on peripheral software, thus, bloatware.  Microsoft's goal with the 360's OS is to optomize for gaming, and as the world's largest software company, you'd be hard-pressed to find someone better at doing that.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS