By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 OS memory usage decreased with latest SDK...

Moneybags said:

Yea, because he only called you a name and had absolutley no other argument.........

Anyway, in a fair case between ps3 and 360 wouldn't it be relevent to the joury to know that the person defending the 360 is a huge fan and has been caught showing extreme bias in the past?

I suggest you quit with all this selfrighteousness and suck it up. Leo-j did it and he's only a kid. It about time you show you a little maturity as well.

edit:^^^I am being sincere and genuin by the way. But I think you'll just see this as a personal jab at you. You'll likely come at me with the usual insult and say I need or help or something...oh well.

Ok.  Comparing an internet forum discussion to a full trial with a jury is officially taking yourself a little to seriously

I've asked you so many times to go through my post history, take a random sample and show people the proof that I have an extreme bias but you simply ignore me.  The fact is you (and two others whom I won't name as they have since had the maturity to stop) arrived at this site a couple of months back and started calling me a fanboy because you didn't like being disagreed with.  Since then, every new Sony fanboy to arrive at this site has gone "wow, moneybags says he's a fanboy that doesn't like the PS3, it must be true."

The logic-based, sensible Sony fans don't say it, it's pretty much just you and the newbies that jump in to scream FANBOY in-between their numerous bans.  Then of course you have people like TheRealMafoo who have nothing in their profile except 'male' and say "I'm a software developer, so your wrong."   I'd say thats pretty much tantamount to avoding the issue wouldn't you?   Anywho, I'll deal with the actual thread topic in my response to Mafoo.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network
darconi said:
TheRealMafoo said:
ssj12 said:

sadly, I programmed my own word processor before and there are other media palyers that support more.

I guess I should have looked farther. I just assumed it's what he did if he wrote his own word processor.

Credibility on the internet is like seeing wind. I've done programming before as well, making rudimentary word processors and even programming a text based mmo years ago. That doesn't make me a software developer.

It still means that you understand programming enough to know what good programming is.  Anyone who programs is fundamentally a programmer no matter if your programming anything from a word processor to a website. 

Also my second word processor I did with a friend for his Programming 2 project kicked the crap out of Word 2007's.  Both visually and functionally as we used a word database from dictionary.com and urbandictionary.com tomake our spell-check. I wonder if my friend has the program still...

I never claimed to be a software develope anywhere in my posts, I just stated i understand it.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

TheRealMafoo said:
@ssj12,

It's interesting that you and I are both software developers (I have been one for 20 years), giving our opinion on MS and having the exact same one, and yet starcraft has a totally different one.

StarCraft, what is it you do for a living anyway?

Not that the bolded part has any relevance, but I'm at university studying Economics, Social Research and Statistics programming

You hit the nail on the head when you said "giving our (you and ssj12) opinion on MS and having the exact same one."  Ignoring the fact that you just admitted an inherent bias, this quote indicates that you have missed the issue under discussion.  Windows and the Xbox 360's OS are both OS's, but that is where the similarities end.  They both have completely seperate aims.  Windows in and of itself, is attempting to sell and integrate other Microsoft and Microsoft-affiliated software to the consumer/with the consumer's computer.

The Xbox 360's OS is aimed at managing a gaming platform and optomizing for said gaming.  The two issues being discussed are thus:

-Is the fact that the Xbox 360's GPU has a 10Mb Frame Buffer an advantage?

-Is Sony in a better position than Microsoft to optomize their console's OS for gaming?

Answers:

-The 10Mb frame buffer is insufficient for it's intended purpose (Already agreed upon by ssj12), but is nonetheless an asset the PS3 does not have.  SSj12 made the somewhat twisted argument that if Sony could better optomize their OS (covered in answer 2) the 360's FB wouldn't be an advantage.  But what ssj12 fails to realize is that the 10Mb frame buffer will ALWAYS be seperate from the main RAM that both the 360 and PS3 possess.  What you can argue is how big of advantage the FB is, but irrespective of other advantages and disadvantages these two consoles have over the other, the FB will always be an additional technical asset the 360 has that the PS3 doesn't have.

-Micrsoft is a software company, as seen through their recent hardware failures.  Sony is a hardware company, as seen in their substandard online platform (which they cannot blame on being behind the 8-ball, as they recognized online gaming as being part of console gaming's future back in the early 2000's).  At the end of the day, both have equal access to external software development assets (in fact, by virtue of its vast liquididty assets, Microsoft has the best access), but Microsoft has a huge advantage in terms of internal software development assets.

To argue that Sony has a better chance of reducing their OS's RAM dependency because the completely seperately-tasked Vista is 'bloated' is ridiculous in the extreme. 

starcraft said:
TheRealMafoo said:
@ssj12,

It's interesting that you and I are both software developers (I have been one for 20 years), giving our opinion on MS and having the exact same one, and yet starcraft has a totally different one.

StarCraft, what is it you do for a living anyway?

-Micrsoft is a software company, as seen through their recent hardware failures. Sony is a hardware company, as seen in their substandard online platform (which they cannot blame on being behind the 8-ball, as they recognized online gaming as being part of console gaming's future back in the early 2000's). At the end of the day, both have equal access to external software development assets (in fact, by virtue of its vast liquididty assets, Microsoft has the best access), but Microsoft has a huge advantage in terms of internal software development assets.

To argue that Sony has a better chance of reducing their OS's RAM dependency because the completely seperately-tasked Vista is 'bloated' is ridiculous in the extreme.

Your whole software/hardware company argument is flawed. Microsoft being a software company doesn't mean they'll have bad hardware , it's absoloutley absurd to assume tha they would on that basis . The reason why they consistently produce bad hardware is through lack of adequet testing , if MS allocated the resouces to making quality hardware then they'd have quality hardware.

Intelligence,Knowledge,Experience and skills is not something MS posses , it's through their employees that they are able to achieve what they do. If they wanted good hardware they'd employee people with the experience and skills to produce good hardware. You talk about the companies like they where individuals , they're not , they employee their skills they don't posses them directly

.MS is as capable of making good hardware as Sony is good software.

Million said:

Your whole software/hardware company argument is flawed. Microsoft being a software company doesn't mean they'll have bad hardware , it's absoloutley absurd to assume tha they would on that basis . The reason why they consistently produce bad hardware is through lack of adequet testing , if MS allocated the resouces to making quality hardware then they'd have quality hardware.

Intelligence,Knowledge,Experience and skills is not something MS posses , it's through their employees that they are able to achieve what they do. If they wanted good hardware they'd employee people with the experience and skills to produce good hardware. You talk about the companies like they where individuals , they're not , they employee their skills they don't posses them directly

.MS is as capable of making good hardware as Sony is good software.

I didn't say for a moment that it's assumed Microsoft will have bad hardware or Sony will have bad software, I just used recent examples to highlight the fact that these are not their respective areas of specialization.  What is absurd is your last statement.  Are you seriously arguing against the economic principle of specialization?  Are you honestly trying to persuade people that any company can do anything better than another company that has been specializing in that "thing" for decades?

I didn't for a moment talk about these two companies as though they are individuals.  I talked about their assets, and in economics, the single biggest asset a company has is skilled labour.  At the end of the day, the great majority of Microsoft's skilled labour (outside of in-house accountants, economists and their enormous HR department) is made up of software developers.  For Sony, most of their human "assets" are hardware engineers (once again accepting those departments unrelated to core business but necessary for large multinationals like Sony and Microsoft to function). 

Around the Network

Bump

ssj12 said:

It still means that you understand programming enough to know what good programming is. Anyone who programs is fundamentally a programmer no matter if your programming anything from a word processor to a website.

Also my second word processor I did with a friend for his Programming 2 project kicked the crap out of Word 2007's. Both visually and functionally as we used a word database from dictionary.com and urbandictionary.com tomake our spell-check. I wonder if my friend has the program still...

I never claimed to be a software develope anywhere in my posts, I just stated i understand it.

^ Bolded. What's next ,someone saying they made a better console than the 360 when standing on the train while commuting back home?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
ssj12 said:

It still means that you understand programming enough to know what good programming is. Anyone who programs is fundamentally a programmer no matter if your programming anything from a word processor to a website.

Also my second word processor I did with a friend for his Programming 2 project kicked the crap out of Word 2007's. Both visually and functionally as we used a word database from dictionary.com and urbandictionary.com tomake our spell-check. I wonder if my friend has the program still...

^ Bolded. What's next ,someone saying they made a better console than the 360 when standing on the train while commuting back home?

ya, I could build a micro PC on a train and call it a game console.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please

ssj12 said:

Yeah... I can see that. But then you need some games..

PooperScooper said:
ssj12 said:

Yeah... I can see that. But then you need some games..

PC game controller - check

PC games installed off of STEAM - check

PC/Media center functionality - check