By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Owlboy, Nine Parchments, YIIK: A Postmodern RPG, and more indies announced for Switch

ktay95 said:
Was all excited for Owlboy until I remembered that the Joycon doesn't have a dpad -_-
Why would you make a great handheld for indies and not include a dpad for all the 2D games.

For what it's worth, I've found the directional buttons work fine for your slower paced metroidvania type games.  I wouldn't use it for, say, Shovel Knight.  But for something like Owlboy it should work fine.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
Owlboy better be announced for the PS4 as well.

There seems to be none planned for the moment, according to the developer twitter.So if you want to play on a console, you would have to buy a Switch, at least for now.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

axumblade said:
I was originally planning to get Owlboy for the PC but I am going to hold up now

Get the recent Humble Bundle, you get it there with many other games

One down, nine to go!

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/267221/top-10-games-switch-should-realistically-get/

BraLoD said:
Nautilus said:

There seems to be none planned for the moment, according to the developer twitter.So if you want to play on a console, you would have to buy a Switch, at least for now.

I can't see a reason for them to not put it on the PS Store, hopefully they'll announce it soon enough.

Indie devs have limited time and resources and they just felt the Switch was the optimum first choice.  It will likely come to others as time goes by.

Around the Network

Owlboy? I've never heard of that game before. But it seems from the posts here that a lot of people are excited for it!

BraLoD said:
Nautilus said:

I can't see a reason for them to not put it on the PS Store, hopefully they'll announce it soon enough.

Limited resouces, Nintendo reaching out for them, trying to cash in in the Switch early success, easier to develop for(and thus costs less to port), bigger fans to Nintendo than PS4, thinking that the game will be potentially more successful than on the PS4.There are myriad of reasons why.

For as good as it would be that every single indie be available on every platform, thats not the reality.You need to consider costs vs risks, and this seems that they think that the Switch is a better choice for them, at least for now.The same reason why many indie comes to the PS4 system and skips Nintendo platforms, the same will happen the other way.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

BraLoD said:
Nautilus said:

Limited resouces, Nintendo reaching out for them, trying to cash in in the Switch early success, easier to develop for(and thus costs less to port), bigger fans to Nintendo than PS4, thinking that the game will be potentially more successful than on the PS4.There are myriad of reasons why.

For as good as it would be that every single indie be available on every platform, thats not the reality.You need to consider costs vs risks, and this seems that they think that the Switch is a better choice for them, at least for now.The same reason why many indie comes to the PS4 system and skips Nintendo platforms, the same will happen the other way.

Nintendo reaching for them/them for Nintendo for a deal to cash in was what I adressed.
If they had that limited resources they wouldn't be porting it at all.
Easier to develop... PS4 is very known for being an easy to develop platform just as well.
Bigger fans to Nintendo... well, that's a very bad stance to take when running a business, hopefully that didn't play a part on it.
Thinking the game will do better on Switch, well, that may be the case, but if they can port it, why not to the PS4 as well? Don't think there is a problem having sales on the PS4 as well even if less than on Switch, as PS4 has been a great place for indies.

So yeah, no reason other than a deal, cashing in the new syste success would mean it getting to the PS4 eventually, but if they really had no money and Sony never approached them and Nintendo did and got a deal, it won't.
If they just don't want to do it... that would be really sad.

How come limited resources is not a factor?Lets assume they have 100k dollars in the bank.Porting to the Switch costs 75k, and for the PS4 would be the same cost or a little higher.In this case, they simply choose Switch over the PS4.Thats what limited resources mean.It has nothing to do with "oh if they are porting, then they have the money to port to every system imaginable and keep suporting it with updates!".They are an indie dev, they dont have much money by default.

Now, why they went to Switch over PS4, who knows?This game is a metroidvania like game, so perhaps they did a market research and saw that there is a bigger sales potential in the Switch than the PS4.Perhaps Switch is a bit easier to develop than the PS4, and in that made all the diference in the end(financially speaking).Sometimes they just plain prefer the portable aspect of the Switch over the "stationary" aspect of the PS4, and deemed the Switch deserved a port.They are human beings and have preferences after all.

In the end, its a matter of making bussiness sense and the developer personal preferences.Its not sad or great, its just what it is.

Very happy about Owlboy coming to the Switch. That's a game that immediately caught my interest.

Oh maan, Owlboy's coming to the system. Def gonna get that one. It's nice to see other indie games on the way too.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread