By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - OMG!!!! ps3 can now upscale DVD movies ,ps1 and ps2 games upto full 1080p!!

larry's ban came too soon. Now he'll get another ban when the 360 sells more than 3k. Fiddlesticks! I think everyone needs to calm down. This update is good. Period. Everyone has a different TV, so the results will vary from one to the other. Some people will love it, others will be disappointed. If possible, I would ilke to see side-by-side comparisons of a PS3 with the EE chip upscaling DVDs/PS2 games and a PS3 w/o the EE chip upscaling DVDs/PS2s, just to see if there is a difference at all (but I doubt it). Update = good for all existing PS3 users. Can't argue with that. And yes, it's another bullet point for potential sales. It's one more thing the 360 can't tout as having a feature that the PS3 doesn't.

Around the Network

Nobody listens when I say Larry=Washimul=HUS and any other of his other accounts. You can tell; he double spaces after every comment CAPITALIZES wordrs for emphasis (FINAL FANTASY XIII and MSG and LAIR from SONY...) And who can overlook the OMG!!! Threads.

Yeah, I finally have a sig.

i doenloaded the update so how do i use the settings for ps2 games? do i make it smoother are not? do i make it full screen or not?

CameronHall1 said:
i doenloaded the update so how do i use the settings for ps2 games? do i make it smoother are not? do i make it full screen or not?

i have it set to smoother and full screen, FF7 looks drastically better i cant atest to any PS2 games yet, but for PS1 smooth and full screen is the way to go.

euclid said:
euclid said:
won't old games look like shit when you upscale them? Isn't this why nintendo improves on the N64 games before putting them on the VC?

Will someone please answer this or give me a link to some pics that are upscaled? I really know nothing at all when it comes to upscaling or 1080p (i?) and all this jazz. Some people around here thought this should have been done when the PS3 launched so this has to be good news for ps3 fans, yes?

It seems like a lot of people don't know about upscaling and 1080p. Here's a quick primer:

480i/p = 640x480 pixels (standard) or 720x480 (widescreen)

720i/p = 1280x720 pixels

1080i/p = 1920x1080 pixels

LCD and Plasma TVS are "fixed pixel" displays, in other words they display in only one resolution. For example, my 37" displays in 1366x720. They require a scaler to change whatever resolution the source is in to the native resolution, so when I watch standard TV the TV's built-in scaler converts the 640x480 source to 1366x720. If you were to just a straight expansion of the image, you'd end up with a really blocky, ugly picture. So "upscaling" involves performing various techniques to estimate the missing detail. Conversely, my TV would actually downscale a 1080i signal into 720p, which also involves some processing.

All HD TV's have a built-in scaler, but the quality varies greatly. The point of "upscaling" DVD players is to upscale the DVD into either 720p or 1080i/p so your TV doesn't have to do the scaling itself (also, there's some loss of detail going from digital-to-analog cables-to-digital). If your TV has a high quality scaler, you probably won't notice much if any improvement. If your TV has a cheap-o scaler (common on the more budget oriented TVs) you'll notice a much better picture. The PS3's complete lack of a scaler meant that your TV had to do all the work (also, I heard but can't confirm that because it didn't downscale Blue-Ray discs, if your TV was 720p you'd actually get 480p out of the PS3 and then your TV would upscale it, resulting in a major loss of detail).

Around the Network

I think it effects some games a lot more than others, I heard that DQVIII looks amazing on the PS3 now among others...

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Of course, since the PS3 "is a supercomputer" and all, I suppose it should do a far better job of upscaling....

Arstechnica article: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070524-sonys-newest-update-adds-720p-blu-ray-support-and-upscaling-capabilities.html

Reality has a Nintendo bias.
ckmlb said:
I think it effects some games a lot more than others, I heard that DQVIII looks amazing on the PS3 now among others...

I wouldn't be surprised given the art style. I would bet 2d games would also benefit considerably, since it is apparently kinda like the Super Sai, ect filters in emulators.

I'm actually not from the Uk. I think I put that up when Kwaad was threatening to sue me over using his avatar, so I just said "Im british, so have fun with that lawsuit". I do have a hardware emualtion PS3 as it was a near-launch unit, long before the software emulation.

I'll get some pics up tonight when my cameras battery finishes charging, but until then you can still have some game request (ico, anyone?)

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

DKII said:
windbane - what more exactly do you want? He also said "It's a great thing for PS3 owners, and yet another plus for the system" if you weren't selectively reading. There's just nothing much to discuss. Great for PS3 owners, a plus for the system, sure. But beyond that it isn't going to have any wider impact beyond the gamer community who already know these kinds of things about it, it's not really a widely marketable thing. What exactly are you looking for here? To actual PS3 users - any word on if it'll output 1080i for those old TVs that only do 1080i and 480p/480i?

I think it is very marketable.  I told a guy at work about it and he wanted one a lot more than he did before (waiting to save the money).  Upscaling is a nice $50 feature (or so), upscaling PS1 and PS2 games is very nice, streaming from the PC is apparently easy on the PS3 now, and for me the Remote Play with the PSP will be awesome.

No one is excited about the game saves being able to go back to the memory cards with the adapter, but I am.  When I'm not scaling with my PS3 I can play backup games on my PS2 and tranfer the save game back to my PS2.  Or, instead of using gameshark or a USB key (which you have to set up with gameshark anyway) I can just download game saves on my PS3 and transfer right to my memory card.

This is not "just an update."  It's not only adding features that the 360 had (a year after launch), but it's doing them better and then adding even more features.  Every single bullet point in this update was awesome.