By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - OMG!!!! ps3 can now upscale DVD movies ,ps1 and ps2 games upto full 1080p!!

BTW :

1.8 has been officially unleashed.

some more features are included.

1080p at 24fps has also become a reality.Expect to see sharper Blue_ray images

Blue-ray discs are also playable at 720p(downgraded for older televisions)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158082&page=21

http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=74421

Other Feature Upgrades

Copying Saved Data to a Memory Card
– Users can now copy saved data from
PlayStation or PlayStation 2 format software stored on their PS3 system to a
Memory Card or Memory Card (8MB) (for PlayStation 2), using their PS3
system and a Memory Card Adaptor.

Photo Printing, Viewing, and Editing – The photo capabilities of PS3 system
have been enhanced, allowing users to print digital photos stored on a PS3’s
hard drive or inserted storage media. Currently, select Epson printers connected
via USB are compatible. In addition, users will find a new type of slideshow for
displaying photos, zoom functionality and the option to crop images.

OMG!!! look at the final fantasy upscaled pic

http://www.ps3forums.com/showpost.php?p=1451765&postcount=504

ps1 games are made to look awesome with 1.8

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158082&page=19

Around the Network

I have seen several demos of new standard DVD players with 1080p upconversion functions before, but it was pretty hard to find any difference between 1080i upconversion and 1080p upconversion. Quality of the original DVD did not change the impression. If the original content has low resolution, upscaled graphics looked unnatural, noisy, and less clear. You need to forget about idea of upscaling PS/PS2 software. I believe the result will not improve your gaming experience. After all I think 1080p upconversion has a limit and it is just a marketing pitch. Seeing is believing. That said, you will soon begin to see more and more standard DVD players with 1080p upconversion capability. That will become a commodity function soon.

Diomedes1976 said:

Wow ,just wow ,somehow ,the resident trolls have managed (tried more like ) to turn a uber-positive thing about the PS3 into something so-so if not downright bad .... Having someone as moderator that speaks about PS3 owners as "your kind " is really ugly I must admit .Maybe ioi should recover his Wii Gamer nick and the site be renamed WiiGCchartz after all .Come on people ,you love Mario and everything ,but cant you look at soft and hardware numbers without experiencing primal joy to see Sony trailing behind and feeling the urge to slap everyone in the face with phrases as "the war is already over ! " and "sony already lost !" ? Cant you enter a Sony news without the neccesity to downplay it if it is a good new and exaggerate it if its a bad news ?

As for sales numbers we can play the hiding game ,as there arent officials numbers for Europe we play the ostrich and just "pretend " the X360 is keeping pace there as nobody can prove us wrong ....but the few data that has arrived (thats UK numbers and Germany numbers last week ,not to mention Spain software numbers that show the dismal state of the X3660 here and the PS3 already beating it in total software sales )suggest otherwise .I would say ,being nice and all ,that the overall numbers for both consoles are more or less even worlwide .Even so ,this is only a question of time ...once the PS3 starts selling in Japan when the games start to arrive the difference in numbers will decrease faster and faster .Only 25K per week in Japan would mean a massive 90K of difference per month ,and the PSP is making easily 35K units per week ...the PS3 with DMC4,RE5,FFXIII ,FFXIII VS ,White Knight Story,MGS4,Heavenly Sword,Eye of Judgement,Gran Turismo 5,Lair,Ninja Gaiden Sigma,Katamari Damacy,Tekken,Folk Souls,Hot Shot Golf 5,Ratchet & Clank etc etc will see very strong software and hardware sales and then we could start making comparisions.Doing it right now that the PS3 hasnt had any game in japan since end march is wishful thinking more than anything.Things wont be like this for much more time.

Please...did you read the thread?  Wii hardly ever comes into the equation...people are shutting down larry because of his obvious fanboy-ish posts...otherwise there's been either good responses or criticisms of the news.  And there's nothing wrong with criticism...I certainly would rather pay $89 for an upscaling DVD player instead of $600 for a PS3.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

larry said:

BTW :

1.8 has been officially unleashed.

some more features are included.

1080p at 24fps has also become a reality.Expect to see sharper Blue_ray images

Blue-ray discs are also playable at 720p(downgraded for older televisions)

http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=74421

Other Feature Upgrades

Copying Saved Data to a Memory Card
– Users can now copy saved data from
PlayStation or PlayStation 2 format software stored on their PS3 system to a
Memory Card or Memory Card (8MB) (for PlayStation 2), using their PS3
system and a Memory Card Adaptor.

Photo Printing, Viewing, and Editing – The photo capabilities of PS3 system
have been enhanced, allowing users to print digital photos stored on a PS3’s
hard drive or inserted storage media. Currently, select Epson printers connected
via USB are compatible. In addition, users will find a new type of slideshow for
displaying photos, zoom functionality and the option to crop images.

OMG!!! look at the final fantasy upscaled pic

http://www.ps3forums.com/showpost.php?p=1451765&postcount=504

ps1 games are made to look awesome with 1.8

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158082&page=19

Ah hah.  I've been wanting to be able to transfer my game saves back to the PS2 with a memory card.  Now I can download saves right to my PS3 and then put them on my PS2 without using my outdated gameshark.

BenKenobi88 said:
Diomedes1976 said:

Wow ,just wow ,somehow ,the resident trolls have managed (tried more like ) to turn a uber-positive thing about the PS3 into something so-so if not downright bad .... Having someone as moderator that speaks about PS3 owners as "your kind " is really ugly I must admit .Maybe ioi should recover his Wii Gamer nick and the site be renamed WiiGCchartz after all .Come on people ,you love Mario and everything ,but cant you look at soft and hardware numbers without experiencing primal joy to see Sony trailing behind and feeling the urge to slap everyone in the face with phrases as "the war is already over ! " and "sony already lost !" ? Cant you enter a Sony news without the neccesity to downplay it if it is a good new and exaggerate it if its a bad news ?

As for sales numbers we can play the hiding game ,as there arent officials numbers for Europe we play the ostrich and just "pretend " the X360 is keeping pace there as nobody can prove us wrong ....but the few data that has arrived (thats UK numbers and Germany numbers last week ,not to mention Spain software numbers that show the dismal state of the X3660 here and the PS3 already beating it in total software sales )suggest otherwise .I would say ,being nice and all ,that the overall numbers for both consoles are more or less even worlwide .Even so ,this is only a question of time ...once the PS3 starts selling in Japan when the games start to arrive the difference in numbers will decrease faster and faster .Only 25K per week in Japan would mean a massive 90K of difference per month ,and the PSP is making easily 35K units per week ...the PS3 with DMC4,RE5,FFXIII ,FFXIII VS ,White Knight Story,MGS4,Heavenly Sword,Eye of Judgement,Gran Turismo 5,Lair,Ninja Gaiden Sigma,Katamari Damacy,Tekken,Folk Souls,Hot Shot Golf 5,Ratchet & Clank etc etc will see very strong software and hardware sales and then we could start making comparisions.Doing it right now that the PS3 hasnt had any game in japan since end march is wishful thinking more than anything.Things wont be like this for much more time.

Please...did you read the thread? Wii hardly ever comes into the equation...people are shutting down larry because of his obvious fanboy-ish posts...otherwise there's been either good responses or criticisms of the news. And there's nothing wrong with criticism...I certainly would rather pay $89 for an upscaling DVD player instead of $600 for a PS3.

except you can't upscale PS1/PS2 games with a DVD player, now can you?  Obviously the feature is not just for people that want upscaling, it's an addition to the feature set. 

Around the Network

Resident Evil http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6517022&postcount=1104

shams said:

Here is my take on the news:

1/ DVD upscaling is irrelevant. Lots of devices already do it, for cheaper. And because its 1080p / HDMI only, it only makes a difference for a small % of people that already own PS3's & fancy TV's.

2/ PS1/PS2 upscaling is great. Didn't the PS3 already upscale these games though? Or is it just 1080p upscaling added? Does this work on both Emotion Chipped / non-Emotion Chipped PS3's?

- Emotion Chipped (hardware emulation): guessing the PS3 can only upscale the entire frame buffer (i.e. smooth it out).

- Non-emotion Chipped (software emul - do the hardware ones now use this?): Textures will look smoother, and jaggies should be less obvious. Nothing you can do about low-resolution textures though. Its still a very nice feature.

3/ PC Streaming: A guess that's cool - not really sure what it is used for though. Can a PS3 connect to a PC via network (i.e. LAN)? If not, then it could be useful for watching/listening to media on your PC (assuming you can't do this already).

4/ Printing: whatever - is there a point to this? I should just as easily copy media to a memory card, insert that into a printer (all new ones support this), and print directly. I think that's less headache than plugging a printer straight in? Might be useful if you want to do lots of printing. Even more useful, would be wireless printing (LAN), there are some other wireless formats available as well I think.

5/ Remote Play: Sort of cool... in theory anyway. I personally would copy the media I want to a memory card/stick, and take it with me (for my PSP). Need to be in a unlocked, WiFi spot (?) with your PSP, and have a lot of bandwidth available to do something useful (unless you can copy media to your Memstick - then watch/listen to it?). Its a cute feature, be interested to see/hear how practical this is.

Personally, I think Sony should be focused on 'broadening" the appeal of the PS3, rather than giving those who have a PS3 more features. None of this makes me anymore interested in a PS3, and makes me more worried that it is moving away from a "games machine" and more towards a "PC styled device". Apart from playing PS1/PS2 games (upscaled), I can do everything here on my PC (if I wanted to).

Wow, well Sony just can't win, can it? Larry may go overboard in his hype (and sales numbers), but it's just ridiculous what goes on here. Before this update, 360 fans are saying OVER AND OVER that the PS3 can't upscale, the PS3 can't be a media center, the PS3 can't upscale games (I didn't know the 360 upscaled games, if it does). Now that the PS3 can do all of those things, it's suddenly irrelevant?! OHHH, ok, so it only matters when the 360 can do it. I see.

1. You do not need HDMI, component will work just fine. Also, it is "up to" 1080p, not 1080p only.

2. The PS3 did not upscale games. Now it does. It also upscales a larger percentage of games than the 360 using the software emulation (something every PS3 can do). The hardware emulation just adds backwards compatibility, not upscaling (unless I'm mistaken about those also being upscaled now).

3. Yeah, streaming all of my media straight to my TV from my PC using my PS3 is just useless. That's why Microsoft has the media center and why 360 supports it. That's why PCs stream from 1 to the other. But now that the PS3 has this feature...useless. Gotcha.

4. You can print pictures from your PS3 (such as ones taken with any USB webcam that the PS3 supports, as well as the new Eye coming soon) without first transfering it to a PC. Just saves some time. Ease of use. Granted, they will need to support more printers. The PS3 already supports USB/bluetooth keyboards, mice, webcams, and memory stick formats, so supporting printers is another nice feature.

5. I too am curious how well the remote play will work, but when I've tried it with my PS3 in the same room it has worked great. I have a 4GB stick for my PSP, so I can fit a few games, a few movies, some TV shows, and hundreds of songs, but it'll be nice being able to stream a lot more content without having to go back to my PS3 to exchange stuff on my PSP. Kinda like how it's annoying to change files on the Wii with a SD card because the internal space is too small. Oops. Now, since the PS3 can stream from the PC, and the PSP can stream from the PC, it would be awesome for the PSP to stream directly from a PC...

Your last paragraph makes no sense. These are features that 360 fanboys talk about all the time (except PSP connectivity, of course), but this update doesn't broaden the appeal? How is that? Adding features that people want is not a bad thing. These are great features. Now, PS2/PS1 owners know that their games can look a little better when they upgrade, PSP know they can stream tons of data from the PS3 (at least) any time they have a WiFi connection (free on most college campuses), and movie watchers can rest assured that the PS3 also upscales DVDs. Not broader? I strongly disagree.

JSF said:
Resident Evil http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6517022&postcount=1104

From this picture, it appears that you might not even need HDTVs to notice the differences (kinda like PS3 games still look fantastic on SDTV, but no matter how many times I say that no one seems to believe me...as if I'm making this up to make myself feel better for not having HDTV).  Won't be upscaled but it could be sharpened, similar to how the PS2 sharpened and had faster loadtimes for PS1 games.

With DLNA, you can do more than stream audio and video from your PC. The PC is only one example of a DLNA device. The PS3 (and all other DLNA playback devices) doesn't need a PC to stream from at all. Any DLNA-compliant serving device will do. The PS3 may even be/become a DLNA-compliant server itself, serving content to other DLNA-compliant players. It sounds like it can definitely do it for the PSP through RemotePlay, but eventually other DLNA clients may be able to do that through the PS3 as well.

Blackstone said:
I have seen several demos of new standard DVD players with 1080p upconversion functions before, but it was pretty hard to find any difference between 1080i upconversion and 1080p upconversion. Quality of the original DVD did not change the impression. If the original content has low resolution, upscaled graphics looked unnatural, noisy, and less clear. You need to forget about idea of upscaling PS/PS2 software. I believe the result will not improve your gaming experience. After all I think 1080p upconversion has a limit and it is just a marketing pitch. Seeing is believing. That said, you will soon begin to see more and more standard DVD players with 1080p upconversion capability. That will become a commodity function soon.

PS3 beats the best DVD player in terms of upconversion.

yes thats rights.

this is from the AVS forums

I have just completed the HQV tests on the PS3 on firmware 1.8. The good news is that the PS3 now passes ALL the tests on the DVD, cadence, interlacing, artifacting. The output is clearly superior over my Denon 3930CI DVD player. The PS3 extracts more detail from standard DVDs over anything else I have seen.
For those of you that dont know... The Denon 3930CI is probably the one of the most expensive and best upscaling DVD players out there.
a 600$ ps3 is in fact better than 1500$ denon upconverting video player
FIXED