By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - OMG!!!! ps3 can now upscale DVD movies ,ps1 and ps2 games upto full 1080p!!

JSF said:
With DLNA, you can do more than stream audio and video from your PC. The PC is only one example of a DLNA device. The PS3 (and all other DLNA playback devices) doesn't need a PC to stream from at all. Any DLNA-compliant serving device will do. The PS3 may even be/become a DLNA-compliant server itself, serving content to other DLNA-compliant players. It sounds like it can definitely do it for the PSP through RemotePlay, but eventually other DLNA clients may be able to do that through the PS3 as well.

What other decies are DLNA? 

Around the Network
larry said:
Blackstone said:
I have seen several demos of new standard DVD players with 1080p upconversion functions before, but it was pretty hard to find any difference between 1080i upconversion and 1080p upconversion. Quality of the original DVD did not change the impression. If the original content has low resolution, upscaled graphics looked unnatural, noisy, and less clear. You need to forget about idea of upscaling PS/PS2 software. I believe the result will not improve your gaming experience. After all I think 1080p upconversion has a limit and it is just a marketing pitch. Seeing is believing. That said, you will soon begin to see more and more standard DVD players with 1080p upconversion capability. That will become a commodity function soon.

PS3 beats the best DVD player in terms of upconversion.

yes thats rights.

this is from the AVS forums

I have just completed the HQV tests on the PS3 on firmware 1.8. The good news is that the PS3 now passes ALL the tests on the DVD, cadence, interlacing, artifacting. The output is clearly superior over my Denon 3930CI DVD player. The PS3 extracts more detail from standard DVDs over anything else I have seen.
For those of you that dont know... The Denon 3930CI is probably the one of the most expensive and best upscaling DVD players out there.
a 600$ ps3 is in fact better than 1500$ denon upconverting video player
FIXED

Well, I hope that is true.  Very good news for PS3.

Now, a question for someone that might know:  what happens to upconverted DVDs if they are compressed...say, 55-70%?  I assume the quality is just downgraded, but I'm wondering if anyone knows how much or if upscaling even helps at compression levels lik that.  I know that I can't tell the difference between full DVDs and those compressed ones (or divx/xvid if they are 1.4GB or more), but I assume there is a point where it would start showing. 

This is great news for sony...but still not worth $600 for a game machine. When it can play games better than anyone else, THEN it's worth buying. Still this atleast shows sony is going in a good direction. Adding lots o stuff 360 can't do.

So, I turn on my PS3 to see if I'm in the warhawk beta, and low and behold an update. Now, the real thing I'm interested in is PS2 upscaling, so I naturally had to try it out. And now I'm disappointed... It appears as though they are just upscaling the image, not rendering it at 1080p. I compared settings, both upscaling and filtering, and find myself hard pressed to notice any difference. And yes, my TV did state that it was at 1080p/60 when I was playing the games in upscaling mode. Granted, I only tried a handful of games, but these are my findings. Katamari Damacy: First game I tried. When I started, I honestly thought the settings were somehow f'ed up and quite just to check. Compared to without upscaling, the edges look a little bit softer and the textures are a little bit smoother. Outside of that, it looks like the edges have been smoothed since you can still see alaised "stairs", although now these stairs have rounded edges. Ridge Racer: The PS2 launch title that was infamous for jaggies, and this update has done nothing to rid them. SoTC: The game I was most looking forward to playing in ultra sharp 1080p. More or less the same story as Katamari, but this game has so much alaising that it still looks like a mess with upscaling. This is a little strange since I'm looking at pics on Neogaf where SOTC looks quite a bit better. Vice City: This game still looks like vaseline was poured over the screen, and the same with jaggies that are a little round on the edges. God of War: Jaggies less apparent, but this game does look fairly blurry. Since this was the last game I tested, I didn't feel like going back and trying it out without upscaling/filtering. Now, this was all done on a 1080p tv over HDMI, and my tv did state that the upscaled sources were at 1080p. My PS3 is a US launch console, so maybe the hardware does do the emulation and upscaling is then applied. It could also be that I was just unlucky and picked titles that arent fully software emulated - but given those games popularity, I doubt it. Then again I have no clue whats on that compatibility list. Honestly, I can barely tell a difference and its definitly not rendering games at 1080p. I'll post some comparison pics tomorrow of PS2(component, 480p) vs PS3 upscaled and not upscaled, so give me an idea of games you want to see. I'll also do MGS on the Playstation, and maybe a few others. This way you can see I'm not kidding, and I was really looking forward to this feature. I'm not meaning this as some fanboy flame at sony, honestly, I'm just a disappointed PS3 owner right now who isnt trying to start a war. Now, with that being said, let the inevitable flame war begin.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Gah, the fabled double post.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Around the Network
windbane said:
JSF said:
With DLNA, you can do more than stream audio and video from your PC. The PC is only one example of a DLNA device. The PS3 (and all other DLNA playback devices) doesn't need a PC to stream from at all. Any DLNA-compliant serving device will do. The PS3 may even be/become a DLNA-compliant server itself, serving content to other DLNA-compliant players. It sounds like it can definitely do it for the PSP through RemotePlay, but eventually other DLNA clients may be able to do that through the PS3 as well.

What other decies are DLNA? 

You can look them up here: http://www.dlna.org 

By the way, Microsoft is also a DLNA promoter, but they didn't use it.  DLNA is a much better solution than Windows Media Extender.

sieanr said:
So, I turn on my PS3 to see if I'm in the warhawk beta, and low and behold an update. Now, the real thing I'm interested in is PS2 upscaling, so I naturally had to try it out. And now I'm disappointed... It appears as though they are just upscaling the image, not rendering it at 1080p. I compared settings, both upscaling and filtering, and find myself hard pressed to notice any difference. And yes, my TV did state that it was at 1080p/60 when I was playing the games in upscaling mode. Granted, I only tried a handful of games, but these are my findings. Katamari Damacy: First game I tried. When I started, I honestly thought the settings were somehow f'ed up and quite just to check. Compared to without upscaling, the edges look a little bit softer and the textures are a little bit smoother. Outside of that, it looks like the edges have been smoothed since you can still see alaised "stairs", although now these stairs have rounded edges. Ridge Racer: The PS2 launch title that was infamous for jaggies, and this update has done nothing to rid them. SoTC: The game I was most looking forward to playing in ultra sharp 1080p. More or less the same story as Katamari, but this game has so much alaising that it still looks like a mess with upscaling. This is a little strange since I'm looking at pics on Neogaf where SOTC looks quite a bit better. Vice City: This game still looks like vaseline was poured over the screen, and the same with jaggies that are a little round on the edges. God of War: Jaggies less apparent, but this game does look fairly blurry. Since this was the last game I tested, I didn't feel like going back and trying it out without upscaling/filtering. Now, this was all done on a 1080p tv over HDMI, and my tv did state that the upscaled sources were at 1080p. My PS3 is a US launch console, so maybe the hardware does do the emulation and upscaling is then applied. It could also be that I was just unlucky and picked titles that arent fully software emulated - but given those games popularity, I doubt it. Then again I have no clue whats on that compatibility list. Honestly, I can barely tell a difference and its definitly not rendering games at 1080p. I'll post some comparison pics tomorrow of PS2(component, 480p) vs PS3 upscaled and not upscaled, so give me an idea of games you want to see. I'll also do MGS on the Playstation, and maybe a few others. This way you can see I'm not kidding, and I was really looking forward to this feature. I'm not meaning this as some fanboy flame at sony, honestly, I'm just a disappointed PS3 owner right now who isnt trying to start a war. Now, with that being said, let the inevitable flame war begin.

wowww

what a troll???

an x360 owner who never owns a ps3 is trash talking.

you dont have to post any pictures.

100s of pictures of MASSIVE IMPROVEMRNTS are already posted at Neogaf and ps3 forums.

u never tried warhawk beta cause its not ven out.you tried Gears but unfortunately your x360 melted down.

here are the links:-

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158224&page=2

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158082&page=27

GODW2, SOTW,FF12 all look F******** amazing at 1080p.

just browse those links for proof.

No, larry, you're the troll.  Week ban.

Maybe now we can actually talk about this topic instead of dealing with your trolling.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

The Warhawk beta is out tomorrow, but you can check to see if you got in right now. Go to account setting, hit transaction and then look in services. I do own a PS3, and this is my experience. If you look through those threads at Neogaf, you'll see some people saying the exact same thing as me. It seems most people there are shitting themselves over the screens, but have yet to actually get the update, or they dont own a PS3. Like I said, tomorrow I'll post pics, then you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. BTW, my PSN is Henry_Killinger - please add me to your friends list. Maybe we can play some RFOM?

I don't think larry deserved to get banned, BUT what pisses me off is people bagging this update and making it seem worse than it is just to counter larry's clearly STUPID comments... larry is a joke poster people and the way he posts is exactly the same as washimul - it is washimul absolutely NO doubt, a lot of us picked this up weeks ago.