By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - OMG!!!! ps3 can now upscale DVD movies ,ps1 and ps2 games upto full 1080p!!

wowwwwwww

jus wow.

latest firmwire version 1.80 is announced.

HIGHLIGHTS**********

Version 1.80 features upscaling of PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games, and DVD movies up to full 1080p HD resolution when viewed on a compatible HD TV set.

The capability to upscale DVDs to HD quality is a feature normally only associated with top range DVD players, and its inclusion in the latest firmware upgrade now allows PS3 owners with an existing DVD collection to dramatically enhance the viewing pleasure of their DVD collection when viewed through a compatible HD TV set. Not only can DVD movies be enhanced to full 1080p HD quality but so too will PlayStation 2 and PlayStation games be upscaled to provide much improved gaming pleasure.

In a comprehensive update to PS3’s already impressive capabilities, Version 1.80 also allows users to enjoy Remote Play on their PSP across the internet, allowing them to access their PS3 anywhere in the world where a broadband internet connection is available2.

PS3 owners will be able to upgrade their PS3 with the latest Version 1.80 firmware from 24th May  2007.

Version 1.80 also allows users on a home network to seamlessly view and play rich media content such as images, music and video on their PS3, that is stored on their DLNA3 enabled devices such as PCs and laptops elsewhere in the house, reinforcing PS3’s credentials as a home entertainment hub that truly deserves pride of place in the Living Room. 

3. DLNA – Digital Living Network Alliance. For more info on DLNA, please see http://www.dlna.org/en/consumer/home 

lollllllllll

i am now gonna play God of War 2 at 720p on my ps3.....

onslaught starts MAY 24th with 1.80 and Warhawk Beta.

Around the Network

So if existing DVD's can be upscaled to HD, what exactly is the point of blu-ray again?

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

upscaling is not true 1080p HD though. Because the graphics was developed at a lower resolution, even with upscale, there's still a difference. It'll only make images more jagged although color may have better contrast. That's the limit of upscaling.

Currently loving my Wii x2, Xbox 360 Pro & Xbox 360 Arcade, and Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Limited "Cloud Black" 160GB PS3

GAMEFLY & GOOZEX FTW

Good update indeed. I wish you weren't so enthusiastic, you're begging for someone to come in here and say something bad about your system. It won't be me, cause the upscaling, I think, is great. I think you do need the HDMI cable though, but I could be wrong.

stof said:

So if existing DVD's can be upscaled to HD, what exactly is the point of blu-ray again?

Try to upscale a picture and you will find the difference.

Around the Network

Great news, though a lot of it is just catching up to what the 360 can already do, this definitely increases the PS3's value to me if/when I ever actually get an HDTV.

even if it can upscale, i probably not get it yet because what's the point with great graphics when there are no ps3 i want to play. 2009 is the year for my purchase! Final Fantasy. :)

Currently loving my Wii x2, Xbox 360 Pro & Xbox 360 Arcade, and Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Limited "Cloud Black" 160GB PS3

GAMEFLY & GOOZEX FTW

larry said:

onslaught starts MAY 24th with 1.80 and Warhawk Beta.

Getting upscaling for pretty much everything is indeed impressive... but are you seriously claiming the Warhawk Beta is going to change anything? I mean saying the game itself being released will turn things around is extremely unrealistic at best, but to claim the Beta would do anything for the sales is just plain insane.

Any word on whether the new PS3 firmware can handle 1080i better than it currently does? My old Sony CRT HDTV (vintage 2000) only supports 480i, 480p and 1080i, so the 720p-reverting-to-480p issue is a showstopper for me. I've been leaning toward an XBox 360 for that reason but haven't quite committed to buying yet. If there's now a way to 'force' the PS3 to upscale all output to 1080i instead of what it does now (drops down to 480p for 720p-max content) that would be great.

So what about anyone buying the system now without the emotion chip in it don't they loose out on most the PS1 and PS2 upgrades and upscaling dvd players are under 100 dollars aren't they? That remote play upgrade sounds great if I had a PSP I definetly would enjoy that one though.