By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - ARMS - Will you use motion controls?

Which control scheme will you use for ARMS?

Motion Controls 111 77.08%

Traditional Controls 33 22.92%

Total:144

I'm not buying the game but I'll try both during the global test fire and get back to this thread if the thread is still alive by then lol.

Around the Network

"Robbed of the physicality of its motion-control inputs, Arms isn’t quite the same. No doubt these alternative control options have been added to ensure the game is playable in every situation in which you can use a Switch. Yet it also feels like a thumb of the nose, however unintentional, to players who spent the Wii generation complaining they’d have preferred to have played Motion-Controlled Game X sat on their backsides with sticks and buttons. On-foot motion controls aren’t the only way to play Arms, but for our money, they’re far and away the best."
-Edge

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

SonytendoAmiibo said:
I will gladly fist those Joy-Cons good. It's already confirmed several times that trying to use traditional controls will leave you severely lacking.

Sauce? I thought no one had been able to use a Pro Controller or both Joycons without motion with this game yet.

Curving punches is probably the big key as to why I think I'd prefer motion controls over traditional controls. If you could only do straight punches then I think I'd use traditional controls all day but curving punches inward and outward while moving and jumping seems like it's going to be awkward on a gamepad while feeling natural and easy using motion controls.

I'm gonna master both stick and motion. Kind of like Mario Kart for me. I have motion for racing and sticks for battle.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Around the Network

As someone who demoed the game, I will say now that everyone should really try out motion controls before completely dismissing them, and this is from someone who isn't fond of motion.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Ultrashroomz said:
As someone who demoed the game, I will say now that everyone should really try out motion controls before completely dismissing them, and this is from someone who isn't fond of motion.

Yeah not happening, I game at my computer desk. If I so much as even consider throwing a punch I'm going to break something. Either the traditional controls are great or I'm skipping on this one. Thankfully there's the upcoming Global Testpunch for me to try things out.

Yes, and if I can't get on with them I will revert to traditional controls. It's nice to be given a choice of control scheme, something Star Fox Zero should have had.

Damn that poll so one-sided, I blame Splatoon! Forgot to mention a big reason I want to use standard controls is so I can play the game on the go in handheld mode. Motion controls would only work in TV and Tabletop modes.

Yes, the Switch is turning out to be Wii 2, which I love, because I love motion controls. One of the most disappointing things about the Wii U was that most games did not use the controller to its full functionality.

Anyway, ARMS seems to not only use motion controls, but use them very well to the point where I'd feel bad not to use them.