By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Year 1 - Week 52 - Global Switch Sales vs WiiU/XboxOne/3DS/PS4

Good to see Switch continuing to succeed. I hope it holds out, if it does Switch lifetime sales might even reach PS4 lifetime sales. Though I am still a little worried overall. The idea of the Switch is the melding of the handheld and the home console. Handhelds this gen were decimated compared to previous gen so much so that combined 3DS and PSVita look like they will be below or barely reach lifetime sales of the 2nd place PSP. Either this was a really smart of idea that will bring back gamers who had given up on console/handheld gaming and revitalize their usually strong brand base or it is merely a band-aid to bring over a massively declining dedicated handheld market to shore up their loss in the console market.

Obviously we are talking about Nintendo, which is usually able to turn a very good profit no matter what.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
barneystinson69 said:

Where exactly did I say the console would flop? 

Also, I expected 35 million sales IF it was a handheld and home console replacement (which its pretty much confirmed to have been). I don't know why early sales are an indication of future trends...

barneystinson69 said:

Oh please Rol. You know very well I explained the circumstances for that in order to happen, and I had two predictions. If it was a handheld and home console replacement, it would sell 35 million. If it was replacing just the Wii U but still selling as well as it has been so far, I would've eaten my hat. 

Yes, you had two predictions.

1. If Switch is only replacing the Wii U, it will sell less than the Wii U. You predicted a flop.
2. If Switch replaces Wii U and 3DS, it will sell less than half of those two systems combined. You predicted a flop.

That brings us back to the running gag: Think before you hit the submit button, barney.

Early sales are more often than not representative of future trends. The only exceptions are consoles that started slow and improved later on. There has yet to be a console that started fast and ended up being a flop. I am not talking about the launch month in this paragraph. It's the non-holiday weeks beyond the launch month that determine whether a console is a slow or a fast starter. Switch has started fast.

The XB1 was pacing with the PS4 till the end of its first holiday season. It then collapsed after that, and for a time was trailing the Wii U in weekly sales. Today its trailing 2:1 to the PS4 (though far better than at its worst moments). I know you're happy that the Switch is doing well now, but we cannot predict trends in a year or two. The Switch had Zelda to launch, which certainly helped. But once again, that doesn't mean momentum will last forever. 35 million is hardly a flop in my eyes, but I was expecting a decline due to a number of factors. If I am wrong, than so be it. But such a preidiction is reasonable, especially with the decline Nintendo HW has had since the 7th gen.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

RolStoppable said:
barneystinson69 said:

The XB1 was pacing with the PS4 till the end of its first holiday season. It then collapsed after that, and for a time was trailing the Wii U in weekly sales. Today its trailing 2:1 to the PS4 (though far better than at its worst moments). I know you're happy that the Switch is doing well now, but we cannot predict trends in a year or two. The Switch had Zelda to launch, which certainly helped. But once again, that doesn't mean momentum will last forever. 35 million is hardly a flop in my eyes, but I was expecting a decline due to a number of factors. If I am wrong, than so be it. But such a preidiction is reasonable, especially with the decline Nintendo HW has had since the 7th gen.

You can't predict anything, but I can.

Switch momentum is going to last because of big game releases throughout 2017. 2018 will have more big games, so momentum will improve because that's normal for year 2. What this means is that Switch will comfortably pass the 35m mark before 2020.

And no, predicting a severe decline is not reasonable when a company is set to do everything better than in the previous generation. Your Switch prediction was as reasonable as someone predicting that the Xbox One will comfortably outsell the PS4 in North America on the basis of Microsoft's gains and Sony's losses in the seventh generation. Anyone who bothered to look at the Xbox One could tell that it was going to lose. A new generation means that things start at 0 again, and Microsoft's original vision for the Xbox One was absolutely terrible. When it was time to evaluate Switch, many people thought "Wii U did bad, therefore Switch is going to be the same" despite video game history already providing us with a Nintendo example: The Wii didn't follow the trajectory of the GameCube.

Bolded:  That is absolutely not correct.  Previous gen _does_ absolultey factor into the next gen.  How much of an impact it has, how good/bad the new product is going against previous gen sentiment may vary, but you can't discount people being burned/rewarded from a previous generation deciding to wait/skip or buy a next gen despite the performance.  

By most measures the PS3 launch was horrendous, yet the turn around kept all three console of that gen within 20%.  I'm not ready to say by how much the Switch is being stunted by the abysmal performance of the Wii U, especially given the piss poor ability of Nintendo to make enough Switches, but I will without a doubt say that it has had an effect (even if it would be only 1%), myself included.  You can't claim me a Nintendo hater to prove my sentiment invalid.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

RolStoppable said:
barneystinson69 said:

Switch momentum is going to last because of big game releases throughout 2017. 2018 will have more big games, so momentum will improve because that's normal for year 2. What this means is that Switch will comfortably pass the 35m mark before 2020.

And no, predicting a severe decline is not reasonable when a company is set to do everything better than in the previous generation. Your Switch prediction was as reasonable as someone predicting that the Xbox One will comfortably outsell the PS4 in North America on the basis of Microsoft's gains and Sony's losses in the seventh generation. Anyone who bothered to look at the Xbox One could tell that it was going to lose. A new generation means that things start at 0 again, and Microsoft's original vision for the Xbox One was absolutely terrible. When it was time to evaluate Switch, many people thought "Wii U did bad, therefore Switch is going to be the same" despite video game history already providing us with a Nintendo example: The Wii didn't follow the trajectory of the GameCube.

Lol. Well you had some pretty awful Wiiu predictions, so let's not act like you're perfect. Aside from the jabs we've taken at each other, you have to understand trends change over time. The PS3 for example had a horrendous launch, but went on to roughly equal the 360 at the end. The Wii on the other hand was a huge success at first, but by the end of the generation was a fad that people didn't care for. And I don't take my predictions lightly. I did after all predict that the Xbox one would sell 30 mil before the Wii u sells 15 million 2 years ago (this was one my old account before I got banned, and the I made a bet on it again). Even with its poor numbers, few people had the foresight in seeing the Wii u preform so poorly. At the end of the day, our predictions are little more than guessing games. We all have our hits and misses...

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Sprash said:
Dr.Vita said:

Actually the shortages for PS4/XOne in 2013 were huge, much bigger than Switch shortages now.
And PS4/XOne launched simultaneously so they were competing directly against each other unlike Switch which had no big launch competition.

Yes that's correct, the switch had all the attention alone for it's launch. Can't imagine how much the ps4 or xone would have sold without the other console.

Yes, but fact is also that Switch was launched outside holiday season in March, obviously it's much more easier to sell product in holiday season compared to March. There is reason why consoles sales have incredible boost in holiday season compared to rest of year.

Around the Network
barneystinson69 said:
RolStoppable said:

Lol. Well you had some pretty awful Wiiu predictions, so let's not act like you're perfect. Aside from the jabs we've taken at each other, you have to understand trends change over time. The PS3 for example had a horrendous launch, but went on to roughly equal the 360 at the end. The Wii on the other hand was a huge success at first, but by the end of the generation was a fad that people didn't care for. And I don't take my predictions lightly. I did after all predict that the Xbox one would sell 30 mil before the Wii u sells 15 million 2 years ago (this was one my old account before I got banned, and the I made a bet on it again). Even with its poor numbers, few people had the foresight in seeing the Wii u preform so poorly. At the end of the day, our predictions are little more than guessing games. We all have our hits and misses...

Because I'm a nerd and have nothing to do in my life, I looked for Rol's old thoughts on the Wii U. He never seemed positive about the Wii U, specially after E3 2012.

I don't like Rol that much, but he's pretty spot with some predictions.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

barneystinson69 said:

Lol. Well you had some pretty awful Wiiu predictions

Slarvax said:

Because I'm a nerd and have nothing to do in my life, I looked for Rol's old thoughts on the Wii U. He never seemed positive about the Wii U, specially after E3 2012.

It would be quite nice if barney could link to these awful predictions, actually. As of now, I feel like he should still eat his hat.

dharh said:

Bolded:  That is absolutely not correct.  Previous gen _does_ absolultey factor into the next gen.  How much of an impact it has, how good/bad the new product is going against previous gen sentiment may vary, but you can't discount people being burned/rewarded from a previous generation deciding to wait/skip or buy a next gen despite the performance.  

By most measures the PS3 launch was horrendous, yet the turn around kept all three console of that gen within 20%.  I'm not ready to say by how much the Switch is being stunted by the abysmal performance of the Wii U, especially given the piss poor ability of Nintendo to make enough Switches, but I will without a doubt say that it has had an effect (even if it would be only 1%), myself included.  You can't claim me a Nintendo hater to prove my sentiment invalid.

I don't think you fully read his post properly as he didn't say a previous gen can't factor in a new one he said a previous gen doesn't guarantee what
people think will carry on into the new one this is what he means by staring at 0 as the are times the previous gen doesn't factor in at all as the are shifts
that can happen like the GC to Wii. For one Wii U is likely not going to hamper Switch performance in anyway because like DS the latter is a new brand and covers a market Wii U never had a hand in.

This is why it's doing well despite the loud minority in forums claiming prior that it won't do well as it's another shift they don't fully understand yet, if NS
went on to sell 100m are you really going to tell us that it could have sold much more if the Wii U didn't have problems.

Slarvax said:
barneystinson69 said:

Thanks for doing the work for me because I did remember Rol being pretty down on the Wii U very early on.

Signature goes here!

barneystinson69 said:
RolStoppable said:

Yes, you had two predictions.

1. If Switch is only replacing the Wii U, it will sell less than the Wii U. You predicted a flop.
2. If Switch replaces Wii U and 3DS, it will sell less than half of those two systems combined. You predicted a flop.

That brings us back to the running gag: Think before you hit the submit button, barney.

Early sales are more often than not representative of future trends. The only exceptions are consoles that started slow and improved later on. There has yet to be a console that started fast and ended up being a flop. I am not talking about the launch month in this paragraph. It's the non-holiday weeks beyond the launch month that determine whether a console is a slow or a fast starter. Switch has started fast.

In the US, yes. All other territories, not so much