By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft unveils its own motion controllers for Windows 10 VR

SvennoJ said:
Imaginedvl said:

You need to see how Hololens works to understand why (not the holograms but how this thing knows your surrounding so well (every wall, chair, table, etc...) :). It simple amazing. I do not think people understand that about Hololens when they never tried it before, it is one actually the most impressive thing from this device and the new headset are going to use this technology.

The sensors in Hololens is like nothing in any other VR headsets. It knows everything about your surrounding and while not "seeing" your surrounding may seem weird. Using my Hololens almost everyday, I can tell you that the surrounding awarness makes a huge difference and you can really "map" your office (or whatever room you are in) and replicate it in 3D. At the end, it is another experience than simple VR (hence for AR) because you can move around, put stuff on any "existing" Surface, the app can even use the surface (for instance if you have a chair a NPC will seat on it), etc... I really believe this is a difference experience at the end.

Ah, so it should still be able to render a model of the room you're in and use that in VR?
That would help with knocking over stuff while playing in VR and maybe games will smarten up and not ask me to place / pick up stuff inside the armrest of my couch :) Though likely it will just tell you to get clear of real life objects first. It seems more practical for non gaming stuff, like Room Alive or usage at the workplace.

That's my understanding at least from everything they said so far and what I read about it and knowing how Hololens sensors work (the sensor part), it makes a lot of sense. Will tell you when I get my hand on it in August tho :)

But yah, you pointed it out, this is for all sort of application but for pure gaming / VR, the headset will obviously not render anything else than the game. Still, with the sensors they can still have Windows warning you if you move or something is in the way. 

Around the Network
SegataSanshiro said:
Vasto said:

The controllers are coming "this holiday," and will come packed in with Acer's headset for $399.

View on YouTube

All I see is this.

Me two.... design is pretty crappy looking imo.

Hopefully its funktional & cheap instead.

Microsoft isn't playing this year, they have the ball in their court. E3 should be exciting.

vivster said:
Machiavellian said:

Acer is only one of 5 companies making these headsets.

Who are the other 4?

Dell, HP, Lenovo, and I believe Intel.

Imaginedvl said:
SvennoJ said:

Actually the upcoming headsets are just VR. There is no headmounted camera to stream the real world nor is it see through. It connects to MS' new mixed reality platform, yet you'll still need a ($3000) hololens to actually get the AR experience.

Those 2 headsets ARE mixed reality ones. They can operate as VR or AR headset. 
They both have 2 sensors (front right and left) and uses the same technology for motion tracking and space recon. than Hololens which offers a real sense pf space and positioning in your room.  

I pre-ordered mine by the way and I have been following this for a while.
https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2017/05/11/windows-mixed-reality-dev-kits-available-pre-order/#4dZzEqqCtxa6HXZi.97

I also have an Hololens which is fully unthetered but I think those are still pretty neat (because they can do both and are cheaper) even if the immersion will not be as good as Hololens and holograms. Just because of the black for instance which a problem on Hololens or the fact that you can turn it in real VR headset if needed 

Neat, with all your cool tech toys, you should have a great VR party!

I volunteer to make something tasty. 

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!