By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - April 2017 NPD Thread! Switch #1 (280k), Mario Kart: 550k

RolStoppable said:

I think it's important to put things into perspective. Lawlight is a lost cause.

I have fun teasing him sometimes though, maybe he's worth keeping around.

Around the Network
Slarvax said:

So are PS4 and XBO sales lower than we think? Because if I'm reading Nintendo's PR correctly, and NPD treats the NES Classic like any other hardware, it should be:

NES Classic (#2) + PS4 + XBO + others > Switch (#1 - 280k) + 3DS (68k)

But then, why didn't Nintendo's PR include the NES Classic in their statement. I'm confused.

If we assume that then.

348k= basically those 3 consoles as others are negligible.

XB1 + PS4 last year equaled about 340k. If NES Classic took equal share out of both in order to get top and allowing PS4/ XB1 to still have high numbers then each console sold about ~115k...

Lowest XB1 month was 77k before the price drop. Lowest PS4 month was 153k in May 2015, and the PS4 has been generally up yoy all year.

Now remember if we raise PS4 to its lowest month 153k, then NES Classic would have to rise too thus XB1 would lose double to keep scales equal. The numbers of course get worse if we include all the others but only barely.

So I would give that scenario a resounding no chance.

Farsala said:
This cannot have been a good month for XB1, 2 Nintendo Switch exclusives in top 20, and 5 PS4/PS3 exclusives in top 20 for the month. Absolutely nothing for XB1.

Also pretty bad 1/3 of 2017, but less severe since we only know the top 10 with 1 Nintendo Switch and 2 PS4, but still nothing for XB1.

Only thing we know is PS4+XB1 is up yoy, but I would say at this point XB1 is down yoy.

Compared to past years the XBO has been performing like it always has. According to some insiders at GAF the Q1 XB1 sales are somewhere between 1% down YOY up to 6% up YOY.

jason1637 said:
Farsala said:
This cannot have been a good month for XB1, 2 Nintendo Switch exclusives in top 20, and 5 PS4/PS3 exclusives in top 20 for the month. Absolutely nothing for XB1.

Also pretty bad 1/3 of 2017, but less severe since we only know the top 10 with 1 Nintendo Switch and 2 PS4, but still nothing for XB1.

Only thing we know is PS4+XB1 is up yoy, but I would say at this point XB1 is down yoy.

Compared to past years the XBO has been performing like it always has. According to some insiders at GAF the Q1 XB1 sales are somewhere between 1% down YOY up to 6% up YOY.

Well I was mostly talking about April. XB1 has had some decent Aprils in general compared to PS4. But I am not really feeling it this time.

Q1 usually is just Jan-March.

the_dengle said:
Lawlight said:

Big difference - Sony's system gets a lot of games. For example, 9 out of the top 10 selling games from Jan-April 2017 are on the PS4. And while Sony only released 3 big games (production value wise) this year (following TLG in December), that's still more than Nintendo, who effectively only released 2 games developed for the WiiU so far this year.

You are the one who said "quality doesn't matter." Now that it's convenient, because you wanted to count Gravity Rush 2 as a "big game" while excluding 1-2 Switch and Yoshi (3DS), suddenly "production value" is a factor. Try not to be so predictable, it's boring.

1996 "people are only buying Mario 64 because there's nothing else to play"

2001 "people are only buying Smash Bros Melee because there's nothing else to play"

2006 "people are only playing Wii Sports because Wii has no gamesss"

Tale as old as time, song as old as rhyme. Nintendo let third parties have their way with the 3DS launch and it didn't work out so hot. So yeah, having a big game at launch and another big game a couple months later is a good strategy. It wouldn't do any good to release 8 big games in the system's first two months when it keeps selling out anyway.

1-2 Switch is a mini game collection. Of course I wouldn't count it as a big game. No more than I would count the several digital only or VR SCE games as big.

Quality doesn't matter when there's nothing else to buy - people will buy whatever's available. Quality would matter if, say, there's been 10 big games released in the matter of a few months.

And just because you're using years and examples doesn't make it less true (I like how you use a bundled game as one of them).

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Lawlight said:

I think it's important to put things into perspective. I will say congratulations when the sales are organic and not forced by external factors.

when will you learn that people buy Nintendo hardware to play Nintendo software. Nobody bought a Switch and chose Zelda/Mario Kart due to a lack of other options, they bought Switch for those games.

So, why didn't people buy the WiiU?

Lawlight said:

(I like how you use a bundled game as one of them).

Hey, it's not my fault people thought that Wii Sports was selling because it was bundled with the Wii instead of the opposite.

Lawlight said:
zorg1000 said:

when will you learn that people buy Nintendo hardware to play Nintendo software. Nobody bought a Switch and chose Zelda/Mario Kart due to a lack of other options, they bought Switch for those games.

So, why didn't people buy the WiiU?

pretty much every Wii U owner bought one for Nintendo games.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

get ur shit together PlayStation and release a CTR remake right now.great month for nintendo and playstation.there are a lot of exclusives ps4 games in the chart and people said exclusives dont matter,i mean exclusives are reason nintendo survived all these years .ps4 owner knows whats up.finally they are realising there are games other than dude bro shooter and gta on the market but i gotta admit sony definitely helping a lot of japaese games succeed this gen.and where the hell xbox exclusives at microsoft.

poklane said:
Black Ops 2, a 4.5 year old shooter, sold more in $ than Infinite Warfare and Battlefield 1 lmao.

The power of backwards compatible, you should've seen the comment section on the Xbox channel on Youtube people were asking for this game for a long time now.

poklane said:

Xbox One

1. Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Wildlands
2. Mass Effect: Andromeda
3. Grand Theft Auto 5
4. Overwatch
5. Forza Horizon 3
6. NBA 2K17
7. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
8. Lego Worlds
9. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege
10. For Honor

Forza Horizon 3 outsold Infinite Warfare? Didn't see that coming :-O

pxrocks said:

get ur shit together PlayStation and release a CTR remake right now.great month for nintendo and playstation.there are a lot of exclusives ps4 games in the chart and people said exclusives dont matter,i mean exclusives are reason nintendo survived all these years .ps4 owner knows whats up.finally they are realising there are games other than dude bro shooter and gta on the market but i gotta admit sony definitely helping a lot of japaese games succeed this gen.and where the hell xbox exclusives at microsoft.

GTA5, FIFA, COD are best sellers on the PS4, also have you heard of State of Decay, Sea of Thieves, and Crackdown 3? 

Proud to be a Californian.