By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - April 2017 NPD Thread! Switch #1 (280k), Mario Kart: 550k

Safe to say Just Dance and Skylanders are dead/dying IP. Outsold by a niche game like Binding of Issac even on the Switch.

I've said it before but I think the older COD games would sell reasonably well on Switch. BLOPS II + III dual pack or something from Activision would've outsold that sad Skylanders performance. 

Devs need to understand the Switch, while successful, is a different kind of platform from the Wii, it's not going to be so heavily weighted towards family/dance shovelware type crap. Even on the eShop you can see that Jack Party Pack game really has not sold well. 

Around the Network
the_dengle said:
Lawlight said:

Most sales happen on the first couple of days.

And while Zelda isn't new, look at the list. See a lot of Switch games in there? All those people who bought the Switch in April before MK8 came out, they must have bought a game, right? So they bought Zelda. I think it's a brilliant strategy by Nintendo.

Bolded is laughably untrue when it comes to Mario Kart.

Regarding underlined, I agree. Releasing games people want to play is a great strategy. Something Nintendo learned from the 3DS and Wii U which launched with games people did not want to play.

Nintendo's strategy isn't to release a game people want to play. It's to release a big game (quality is irrelevant) every 2 months.

Lawlight said:

Nintendo's strategy isn't to release a game people want to play. It's to release a big game (quality is irrelevant) every 2 months.

That sounds like a good strategy too. Much more effective than Microsoft's strategy of releasing a big game maybe every 4 months or so. More like Sony, who has released 2 big games so far this year.

Lawlight gonna Lawlight lol. Classic like the number 2 spot!

A congratulations is always nice instead of making it into a war (again and again)

the_dengle said:
Lawlight said:

That sounds like a good strategy too. Much more effective than Microsoft's strategy of releasing a big game maybe every 4 months or so. More like Sony, who has released 2 big games so far this year.

Big difference - Sony's system gets a lot of games. For example, 9 out of the top 10 selling games from Jan-April 2017 are on the PS4. And while Sony only released 3 big games (production value wise) this year (following TLG in December), that's still more than Nintendo, who effectively only released 2 games developed for the WiiU so far this year.

Around the Network
tbone51 said:

A congratulations is always nice instead of making it into a war (again and again)

I think it's important to put things into perspective. I will say congratulations when the sales are organic and not forced by external factors.

Lawlight said:

Big difference - Sony's system gets a lot of games. For example, 9 out of the top 10 selling games from Jan-April 2017 are on the PS4. And while Sony only released 3 big games (production value wise) this year (following TLG in December), that's still more than Nintendo, who effectively only released 2 games developed for the WiiU so far this year.

You are the one who said "quality doesn't matter." Now that it's convenient, because you wanted to count Gravity Rush 2 as a "big game" while excluding 1-2 Switch and Yoshi (3DS), suddenly "production value" is a factor. Try not to be so predictable, it's boring.

1996 "people are only buying Mario 64 because there's nothing else to play"

2001 "people are only buying Smash Bros Melee because there's nothing else to play"

2006 "people are only playing Wii Sports because Wii has no gamesss"

Tale as old as time, song as old as rhyme. Nintendo let third parties have their way with the 3DS launch and it didn't work out so hot. So yeah, having a big game at launch and another big game a couple months later is a good strategy. It wouldn't do any good to release 8 big games in the system's first two months when it keeps selling out anyway.

Lawlight said:
tbone51 said:

I think it's important to put things into perspective. I will say congratulations when the sales are organic and not forced by external factors.

when will you learn that people buy Nintendo hardware to play Nintendo software. Nobody bought a Switch and chose Zelda/Mario Kart due to a lack of other options, they bought Switch for those games.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

So are PS4 and XBO sales lower than we think? Because if I'm reading Nintendo's PR correctly, and NPD treats the NES Classic like any other hardware, it should be:

NES Classic (#2) + PS4 + XBO + others > Switch (#1 - 280k) + 3DS (68k)

But then, why didn't Nintendo's PR include the NES Classic in their statement. I'm confused.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

This cannot have been a good month for XB1, 2 Nintendo Switch exclusives in top 20, and 5 PS4/PS3 exclusives in top 20 for the month. Absolutely nothing for XB1.

Also pretty bad 1/3 of 2017, but less severe since we only know the top 10 with 1 Nintendo Switch and 2 PS4, but still nothing for XB1.

Only thing we know is PS4+XB1 is up yoy, but I would say at this point XB1 is down yoy.