By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Official Thread: Tekken 7 [Fated Retribution] Geese is on the way!

I do find it odd with certain games like this. The elite players, the ones that got good are for some reason able to get the game early. Yes it's been in arcades in Japan a while but there are American and British players who play it, how?

I mean take Evo, Tekken was there last year. There was a tournament, yet surely the only people able to play it are those who have played it so what? people in Japan arcades right? That's not the case. What about European pros?

... not sure where I'm going with this but more along the lines of why do some people get the game early just because they are currently 'pro', in a way it means the pros stay pros. While Joe Bloggs has to wait until the game is released to get the privilege of seeing how good they are at it. I have the same issue with streamers and other games too.

Also, Pros should play team battle picking 4 characters, 1v1 where they only pick their best seems like fixing things. There should be bans and everything. Maybe I could beat good Tekken guys at a character but not their best.

Rant over.

Yes, yes  abit of jealousy.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

I just pre-ordered my copy ... almost $70 with shipping but Tekken was the first game I bought on the PS1 and I've loved it ever since. Still not sure about the DLC model they are going to do with this title though.

Alright guys. What is your main character?

Mine is Lee. Back in the day on 2 to 5 I was good with him but the changes they made in 6 to his fighting style put me over the edge. I'm hoping he's still just as Excellent as ever.

Hmm, pie.

BraLoD said:

Eddy tho... xD

Button mashing character are not allowed.

I actually really like how they have developed Heihachi's fighting style of the years, while Kazuya has kept the Mishima Karate style from like 2, Heihachi's has changed really well making them very different characters.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:

I do find it odd with certain games like this. The elite players, the ones that got good are for some reason able to get the game early. Yes it's been in arcades in Japan a while but there are American and British players who play it, how?

I mean take Evo, Tekken was there last year. There was a tournament, yet surely the only people able to play it are those who have played it so what? people in Japan arcades right? That's not the case. What about European pros?

... not sure where I'm going with this but more along the lines of why do some people get the game early just because they are currently 'pro', in a way it means the pros stay pros. While Joe Bloggs has to wait until the game is released to get the privilege of seeing how good they are at it. I have the same issue with streamers and other games too.

Also, Pros should play team battle picking 4 characters, 1v1 where they only pick their best seems like fixing things. There should be bans and everything. Maybe I could beat good Tekken guys at a character but not their best.

Rant over.

Yes, yes  abit of jealousy.

A few events, such as wizard world, have had the arcade version in the US.  There was some sort of convention, with Tekken 7 (vanilla) and Jason David Frank, and others... My friends went, didn't say a word to me about it until 2 weeks after, because, "you had to work."  Which, I did, but they didn't know my schedule, so they could have asked...

The_Yoda said:
I just pre-ordered my copy ... almost $70 with shipping but Tekken was the first game I bought on the PS1 and I've loved it ever since. Still not sure about the DLC model they are going to do with this title though.

Tekken Federation has shut down.  Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection Online, is now offline only, and Tekken: Revolution has also shut down.  The DLC is to support the game's online features and development post launch.  So that there aren't any hiccups a year from now.

The Fury said:

Mine is Lee. Back in the day on 2 to 5 I was good with him but the changes they made in 6 to his fighting style put me over the edge. I'm hoping he's still just as Excellent as ever.

My main characters are (obviously) Feng Wei, Leo, and Yoshimitsu.  However, I do use Lili to a lesser extent.  I've nearly dropped her because she's really not that great of a fighter.

However, I'm considering dropping Feng Wei, since I've been using him every other game, and pick up some new characters, like Nina, maybe Xiaoyu.  Maybe even Master Raven.

The Fury said:
BraLoD said:

Eddy tho... xD

I actually really like how they have developed Heihachi's fighting style of the years, while Kazuya has kept the Mishima Karate style from like 2, Heihachi's has changed really well making them very different characters.

Eddy has been dramatically nerfed.  Some of his strings, eventhough they hit, will not combo if the opponent suddenly decides to start blocking.  Lots of things he used to be able to get away with, he'll start getting punished heavily for.  Making him strictly a beginner-only character.  His tricks wont work on someone who knows how to play.  And all the BS he used to have is thrown out the window.

That being said, it was never the button mashers that were the problem.  It was those Eddy players that knew he was BS and took him to the next level.

Because of how the character moved, it was difficult to punish.  Even when you knew the stuff he was doing was unsafe.  Now, there's so much stun when you block some of Eddy's kicks, he goes into an obvious stagger state, which is launch punishable.  Combos for days.

Around the Network
Burning Typhoon said:
The Fury said:

My main characters are (obviously) Feng Wei, Leo, and Yoshimitsu.  However, I do use Lili to a lesser extent.  I've nearly dropped her because she's really not that great of a fighter.

Because of how the character moved, it was difficult to punish.  Even when you knew the stuff he was doing was unsafe.  Now, there's so much stun when you block some of Eddy's kicks, he goes into an obvious stagger state, which is launch punishable.  Combos for days.

Lili is good but hard to master I think. Many of her moves are telegraphed and easily recognisable. One of the reasons I hated Lars, he had move chains that made no sense, looked like a mid but was a low, then into a kick which was a lift mid not a low again. Was silly and ended up meaning he was played a lot in online because of the bound system.

BraLoD said:

I actually knew Eddy combos, but yeah, he is so easy to just press anything and get things happening, lol.
All my friends would pick him when we did Tekken 3 tournaments xP
I always liked to switch chars on tekken, most of them are fun to play with, but I always liked a bit more the grappling with King and to be badass with Heihachi.

I'm loving Yoshitmitsu design on this game, btw, was never good playing with him, tho.

Do you like the fighting styles of Sergei and Jaycee? Both had a style which mean they could combo into holds, Anna and Nina do as well. They are always tricky characters to play against as you don't know if the combo they are doing is a throw combo, or just to block. :P They only have a few though.

Yoshimitsu is always a great design.  

Hmm, pie.

BraLoD said:
The Fury said:

I actually knew Eddy combos, but yeah, he is so easy to just press anything and get things happening, lol.
All my friends would pick him when we did Tekken 3 tournaments xP
I always liked to switch chars on tekken, most of them are fun to play with, but I always liked a bit more the grappling with King and to be badass with Heihachi.

I'm loving Yoshitmitsu design on this game, btw, was never good playing with him, tho.

In terms of difficulty, Yoshimitsu is one of the most difficult characters in the game.  Then, what makes it so bad, is that he's also low-tier.  He has the single fastest move in the game, and has more unblockable attacks than anyone in the game.  Now that Lei is out, he may also have the most attacks in the game.  I think he was sitting somewhere around 174 in Tekken Tag Tournament 2.

His main issues are that he's slower than mostly everyone in the game, despite having 1 move that's the fastest.  Much of his 174 attacks are situational, so much of those attacks are going to have obscure uses, so you'll have to only use moves that'll fit your playstyle.  You can play a careful Yoshimitsu, or a very unorthodox Yoshimitsu, that's just completely unpredictable.

Yoshimitsu is clearly useable, as you can see in my Tag 2 video in the Opening Post, Law X Bryan was no joke.  Do I recommend using him, though?  No, lol.  He's far too difficult to use, and you will lose a ton before you see any rewards.  You'd win more putting the same effort into another character.  Because I'm so invested in him already, I really shouldn't consider dropping him, (and I'm not).

BraLoD said:

I actually had to look up Jaycee, seems like it's Julia but on Tag Tournament 2, didn't play that one, does she plays like Julia or something else?
Anna and Nina are good, but I didn't really ever picked them up that much.

Yoshitmitse design goes all over the place, don't always like it xP

She was basically a Wrestler in Tag 2. The Changs always had grapling moves, just made her use more of them. I wasn't fussed on Tag 2 because I though the bound stuff was overtuned. Turned the game into just get your opponent in the air, win game.

Hmm, pie.

BraLoD said:
The Fury said:

Lili is good but hard to master I think. Many of her moves are telegraphed and easily recognisable. One of the reasons I hated Lars, he had move chains that made no sense, looked like a mid but was a low, then into a kick which was a lift mid not a low again. Was silly and ended up meaning he was played a lot in online because of the bound system.

Do you like the fighting styles of Sergei and Jaycee? Both had a style which mean they could combo into holds, Anna and Nina do as well. They are always tricky characters to play against as you don't know if the combo they are doing is a throw combo, or just to block. :P They only have a few though.

Yoshimitsu is always a great design.  

I actually had to look up Jaycee, seems like it's Julia but on Tag Tournament 2, didn't play that one, does she plays like Julia or something else?
Anna and Nina are good, but I didn't really ever picked them up that much.

Yoshitmitse design goes all over the place, don't always like it xP

Julia took the stage name "Jaycee" to cover for a wrestler that got injured.  She plays mostly the same, but with added luchador attacks.  Many people just call her Julia, since that's who it is under the mask anyway.

@Fury:  No, Lili is just a bad character.  She only has one single homing attack, which is short-ranged.  Just simply side-stepping makes things terrible for Lili players.

Burning Typhoon said:

@Fury:  No, Lili is just a bad character.  She only has one single homing attack, which is short-ranged.  Just simply side-stepping makes things terrible for Lili players.

A fair point, I remember Dragonov being pretty crap on T5:DR on the PSP but then in T6 he was great so they changed and developed his fighting. Shame they didn't do the sale for Lili. I guess french girl you can dress in a maid outfit was enough for some people....

Hmm, pie.