By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is this Phil Spencer's final test for Microsoft? Is his job on the line?

Could Phil Spencer's job be on the line?

Yes. 132 53.66%

No. 114 46.34%

Total:246

I don't believe companies ran there divisions based on there competitors success. Its all about improving and increasing there profits. The Xbox One / S are selling well and since Phil is in charge the turn around is good for his image. Sony could sell 200m consoles that wouldn't mean anything to MS as long as there improving there own brand and keeping there share holders happy.

One thing about MS and there deals with 3rd party like CoD and SFV etc is simple. They don't need them.. and ill tell you why. They have Halo a monster FPS franchise that competes head to head with CoD and BF. Sony on the other hand needs CoD because they don't have a giant FPS franchise on the same level as them. SFV wasn't even a bother to MS/Xbox because Xbox have there own fighting game in Killer Instinct. Again Sony needs SFV not Xbox because that genre is covered. That's why MS isn't chasing the deals. They want there own games to sell and I agree on MS's logic, they don't need to waste there money on deals when they have games just as good out there.

As for Japanese games, that's all in your opinion, I'm no fan of Japanese games and to me its a wasted effort getting them and you can argue the opposite. That's just our personal preference.

And your point *If someone is going to pay high dollar for Scorpio, you might as well invest in a PC instead* . No and No. There are plenty of gamers out there who don't want to build PC's and plug them in there living rooms. I have a $2.5k 2016 gaming PC in my bedroom and I have a XB1S in my living room. Convenience is important and the Scorpio is marketed towards console gamers not PC gamers. Same can be said with PS4, if you own a Gaming PC with PSNow than there's no need to buy a PS4 especially since PS4 games will be coming to PSNow. In other words if you own a gaming PC there's no point in owning any console since there all building there libraries on PC.

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
Mr Puggsly said:

If you have a gaming PC and Windows 10, you're already in MS's ecosystem.

Not entirely true but somewhat.  I purchased Windows 10 Professional when I built my new PC a few months back but that is all Microsoft is going to see from me.  They might be collecting data on me after turning the share data that they allow you to turn off (I'm sure there is still data being collected without my knowledge or ability to turn off).  That is about all they can expect from me. 

I won't spend a dime on the Windows Store because I'll just stick to a superior store called Steam.  If Valve had converted all the steam games or a majority of them then I would have probably just went with Linux or Steam OS but since only 20 games out of my 100 are available on Linux based system then I'm stuck with Windows.

I normally buy my games on Steam however i picked up Snake Pass over Steam based on the fact it was Play Anywhere title. I wanted both Console and PC versions and Windows Store had the benefit. I wish Steam and Live merged services and just run off one gaming network however thats wishful thinking. Win Store has its advantages and so does Steam. I am starting to buy the Play Anywhere games now off Windows Store over Steam due to the sheer value and Xbox Achievements are just so much more thrilling to obtain over Steams. Steam will always be my 3rd party service however if MS keep pushing the Play Anywhere feature than Steam is going to have a tough fight on its hands.. For me anyway, and i am a 11 year Steam Member

Azzanation said:

I normally buy my games on Steam however i picked up Snake Pass over Steam based on the fact it was Play Anywhere title. I wanted both Console and PC versions and Windows Store had the benefit. I wish Steam and Live merged services and just run off one gaming network however thats wishful thinking. Win Store has its advantages and so does Steam. I am starting to buy the Play Anywhere games now off Windows Store over Steam due to the sheer value and Xbox Achievements are just so much more thrilling to obtain over Steams. Steam will always be my 3rd party service however if MS keep pushing the Play Anywhere feature than Steam is going to have a tough fight on its hands.. For me anyway, and i am a 11 year Steam Member

Yea I can see there are better benefits if you are a PC and Xbox gamer that would make the Windows Store superior to Steam.  However, I don't see any benefits if I just play on PC and Nintendo.  So they aren't really grabbing non Xbox gamers attention in my opinion with their store.  They could just try and buyout Valve but I doubt Valve would take any offer considering Gabe wants to keep Valve privately held company.  It would be funny to see the shit storm if somehow Microsoft was able to buy Valve though.

When Phil talks about "a Netflix for games" this is all I can see...

Hey! They got SONY on my amiibo! Wait a minute. Two great gaming tastes that game great together!

Switch FC: SW-0398-8858-1969

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Uncle phil is just a pr dude saying the things the fans want to listen, but only the hardcore see the interviews and care about them.
Sometimes he says stupid shit and the PR fails like the single player comments.
He needs to make less interviews, talk less and do more.

Now that makes sense.

I would also say the same about showing games so far from completition. Its ridiculous that 2014 trailers we have still no clue when they might be ready. people loose interest after a while.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
SonytendoAmiibo said:

I have that capture card. 

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

LipeJJ said:
niceguygameplayer said:

Scorpio wasn't invented yesterday. Neither are the games being developed for it. He should have at least 5 major games ready for it at launch.

I'm yet to see a hardware launch with 5 major exclusive games...

Red Dead Redempetion will be far bigger than any exclusive in this decade.

I don't mind MS, in fact I've owned every generation of XBox and they bring some nice stuff to the table, that said I wouldn't mind them going away, simply because it would guarantee Nintendo more breathing room to operate.

Microsoft never really needed the game business, and in 15 years, they aren't really anywhere close to catching Sony anyway and they got tons of money to fall back so its not like they need the money from gaming sector anyway.

SonytendoAmiibo said:

Funny thing is that last year Microsoft planned on releasing an Xbox similar ot the Apple TV and Roku.

jason1637 said:
SonytendoAmiibo said:

Funny thing is that last year Microsoft planned on releasing an Xbox similar ot the Apple TV and Roku.

Good for them they've decided not to release it