By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Switch vs Wii - Who will sell more LT?

If the 3ds can't do it. The switch won't

mM
Around the Network
leo-j said:

I think there will be more than one Switch model though, 3DS had different revisions, but they are largely cosmetic. 

The future for Nintendo hardware will be a higher end model ($300) and a lower end model ($150-$200) IMO and they will continually just cycle in new hardware to refresh that every once in a while. 

I guess we'll have to see if it turns out that way, but that's what I see happening. In 2020 or so there will be a new higher end Switch and the current one will get a design refresh (probably even before 2020) and occupy the lower end market, with 2DS/3DS finally retired. 

That's the future for Nintendo I think, instead of two distinct hardware lines (home console + portable) that they've had in the past, they will adjust and basically make two tiers of Switch, with games that are compatible with each other but scale up and down. 

If you think outside the box, there are scenarios where sales beyond the 3DS are possible and why not think outside the box because the entire Switch concept is thinking outside the box of Nintendo's normal "rules". Having to have a discreet handheld + seperate home console was always an unwritten "rule" of Nintendo, well they broke that one, I think several others will be broken too. 

the_dengle said:
Jranation said:
Most likely not.
Beating the 3DS is hard enough!

I'm actually pretty bullish on its chances against the 3DS. Switch has got what it takes in Japan, and it's kicking the 3DS's ass in the West. 3DS took 20 weeks (and a price cut) to clear 900k sales in the US. Switch did it in its first month.

Imagine if the 3DS had Splatoon. Imagine if the Wii U had Animal Crossing. Now imagine if the Wii had a mainline Pokemon.

That's the Switch.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Soundwave said:
leo-j said:

I think there will be more than one Switch model though, 3DS had different revisions, but they are largely cosmetic. 

The future for Nintendo hardware will be a higher end model ($300) and a lower end model ($150-$200) IMO and they will continually just cycle in new hardware to refresh that every once in a while. 

I guess we'll have to see if it turns out that way, but that's what I see happening. In 2020 or so there will be a new higher end Switch and the current one will get a design refresh (probably even before 2020) and occupy the lower end market, with 2DS/3DS finally retired. 

That's the future for Nintendo I think, instead of two distinct hardware lines (home console + portable) that they've had in the past, they will adjust and basically make two tiers of Switch, with games that are compatible with each other but scale up and down. 

If you think outside the box, there are scenarios where sales beyond the 3DS are possible and why not think outside the box because the entire Switch concept is thinking outside the box of Nintendo's normal "rules". Having to have a discreet handheld + seperate home console was always an unwritten "rule" of Nintendo, well they broke that one, I think several others will be broken too. 

Nintendo cannot have Sony jump on the switch bandwagon then, switch is very very young and I'm shocked it's selling st the rate it is.... 

mM
Slarvax said:

Imagine if the 3DS had Splatoon. Imagine if the Wii U had Animal Crossing. Now imagine if the Wii had a mainline Pokemon.

That's the Switch.

Remember when the 3DS was struggling and everyone said no one would pay $250 for a Nintendo handheld

Wow times have changed

Around the Network

I honestly can't say right now without completely pulling a prediction out of my ass or letting bias get in the way. There's simply too little data right now and too many factors that can affect the outcome of the sales. 

But I will say this - Switch certainly has an excellent chance to sell more than Wii, considering how strongly it's performing in March/April, which is typically somewhat of a down time for gaming. It also has a high ceiling on account of being a handheld console as well, which means people will buy it for the conveinence factor, as well as having the potential to sell multiple devices to one household/consumer if there are redesigns, or just for the fact that people might each want to buy their own Switch. For these reasons alone, I think that Switch has a strong chance to outsell Wii. But the games - both quantity and quality, will be the ultimate determining factor. So far the console has a strong library and seems to be getting a steady stream of games just in year one, but will this keep up? Especially with very low western AAA third party support/confidence in the device? I think the library will almost certainly be stronger than the Wii U's, but who knows. All we have right now is speculation, and a very small sample size. Things are looking quite good though. 

At the moment, I stand with my prediciton months back of 60-80 million sales for the device, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if it exceeded that. 

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Easy Wii once they release the Wii Mini.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:

I don't understand the joke here...

VGPolyglot said:
vivster said:

No Joke. Switch just won't sell 150m.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
VGPolyglot said:

No Joke. Switch just won't sell 150m.

But the Wii Mini already exists:

So, now I'm really suspicious/curious/confused!