By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - What is microsofts obsession with controllers?

MS: Controllers
Nintendo: Amiibos

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Azzanation said:
They make the best controllers in the world. With a big community on PC which buy them aswell.
How is this a bad thing? How does this affect there games? Two different departments. There devs don't make there controllers incase you didn't know.

The publicity of their products. havent you noticed that the last four months have only featured publicity of only three things? Scorpio, controllers and multiplats. Meanwhile Their competition feature multiplats and exclusives in anticipation for release. Also, to be honest.... Sony and Nintendo seem to have wised up to the fact that exclusives sell better at any time before fall. This is why Microsoft shouldn't just wait for e3 for e3. Its better to face off with your exclusives against your direct competitor at a safer time of the year than to launch against the bigger multiplatform favorites in fall which ms is known for doing. Last guardian, dead rising 4 and titanfall 2 (and possibly more games) felt the burn from launching in fourth quarter. Anyway, back to the controllers... yes they do have the best controllers in the world. I hope they make their elite controller bc next gen.

I agree they should release games all year round. I hate starving for something new only to be bombarded with games all at once. However in this case MS is coming out with new hardware and are awfully quiet on the games front which tells me there saving the big hitters for Scorpio. Much like how Nintendo delayed Zelda to help push the Switch.

This E3 i garentee you MS will hit hard with dozens of games. They need to and they know it will help push not just XB1 but Scorpio at the same time. Its actually clever to hide your gems right now, than release games early to please only acouple million gamers.

They are clearly aiming for the bigger picture. The only way to get back ontop is to hit really hard at once. Little games here and there isnt going to turn the competition around. However an array of new controllers, new hardware and a bunch of software annouced at the same time could make alot of gamers think twice about where there money goes next.

I honestly dont care if there the number selling console. Aslong as they keep making quality products that are supported for a long time than im happy.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

They make fantastic controllers :)

Oh my bad, this is another thread shitting on their games. Never mind.

What games? I want to see something new from them that's all. They can show you hardware and a thousand controllers. That's all well and good and I'm buying the Scorpio but there has got to be more to them than that. With that said, I love their controllers. It's just an issue that I have with moderation of priorities.

Uh, the games they've released and are currently developing?

You want to see something new? E3 is literally less than 6 weeks away. You remind me of my little kids when we're going through a store and they ask for new toys when it's a week before Christmas. It's an even more bizarre expectation to have when you close your OP with "God help MS this E3 though". Why would you say that? The only logical explanation is you don't think they have anything to show that will give them a good E3. So if that's the case, why are you expecting new games to be shown on Youtube ads just over a month before E3?

To be honest I am not sure why you are buying a Scorpio as constantly as you nag about how bad a job you think MS does emulating Sony but hey it's your money. And lol @ moderation of priorities. Exactly how much money do you think it cost MS to get those Youtube ads, and how many games could it have instead funded?

They are the choice controller for PC gamers too if im not mistaken. And at least MS makes the best looking controllers on the market.

I'm pretty sure controllers have a higher profit margin then games that is probably why they show more commercials for controllers then games.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Shadow1980 said:
If MS ever goes third-party, I hope they continue making accessories as well as games. Imagine Xbox controllers for PlayStation systems. I'd love it. Don't get me wrong. The DS4 is a fine controller. But I still prefer Xbox controllers.

I was thinking the same thing. Their controller quality is probably their best asset that they have at this juncture of the console war. If they ever bowed out they could be the next mad Katz.

They would be miles better then mad Katz their build quality and durability was always shitty that is one of the main reason they went out of business.

Microsoft advertising their products...

Don't see how that's a problem.

tinfamous12 said:
They are the choice controller for PC gamers too if im not mistaken. And at least MS makes the best looking controllers on the market.

Yes, that is the key thing that they make, for sure. 

Hynad said:
Microsoft advertising their products...

Don't see how that's a problem.

Its not that they are advertising their products. They've been  pushing their controllers more than anything on Facebook and Youtube. By now it has to be realized their controllers are their most valuable asset. Obviously its a profitable area for them, but I want them to feel just as good about publiciizing other things that matter like their competition. People are taking notice to how much they are pushing it in both areas and responding to their youtube channel and facebook that they focus too much on accessories.

My biggest issue with that is that their controllers since the glorious 360 controller have mostly been shit. I use a wireless 360 controller for my rig when I play games like FIFA or MGS, I can't stand their One controller or all the other clunky lumps of plastic they crank out. Just about the only ones I've tried that were worse are the Wii U Gamepad and woeful Steam controller.
Not a fan of DS4 either, to be honest, it's like no one can make a decent controller any more.