By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe sells 459,000 copies on launch day in US, fastest-selling Mario Kart in the US.

Wtf the way Switch is going it's almost like Nintendo platforms are a Phoenix when one era comes to an end a new one rises. They really shifted almost half a millions copies of MK8D in one day in US alone as well.

We still have the likes of Splatoon 2, Mario, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Pokemon etc... still to show up for the Switch.

Around the Network
Boutros said:
Slarvax said:

Can't wait to hear this for every major release in the coming months.

Well you will hear that again as it is exactly what Nintendo wanted and planned.

"However the company's president Tatsumi Kimishima stood by the company's decision to launch the hardware with only a few games available. Apparently, their intention was to control the flow of software, to supposedly keep consumers engaged until the next major title releases."

"Our thinking in arranging the 2017 software lineup is that it is important to continue to provide new titles regularly without long gaps. This encourages consumers to continue actively playing the system, maintains buzz, and spurs continued sales momentum for Nintendo Switch."

I know. It just sounds like really bad downplaying. Maybe games sell well because they're system sellers and/or appeal to consumers? When do we reach the point where Switch owners have games to play?

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Would've been impressive if there was actual competition on Switch. Right now the only game worth getting is Zelda and some Switch owners may have played that game on Wii U already.

HintHRO said:
Would've been impressive if there was actual competition on Switch. Right now the only game worth getting is Zelda and some Switch owners may have played that game on Wii U already.

I think my eyes just rolled into the back of my head.

The pessimist says: It's the first gud game since Zelda, of course it's a hit!
The optimist says: Mario Kart 7 and Mario Kart Wii had huge install bases, and this still sold MOAR!

Who's right?

I'm on the optimist side, the sales news around MK8 shows Switch is in position to outstrip not just Wii U but 3DS too.

Edit: excited to see if this momentum can transfer to Splatoon 2.  I think that game has a bit of an X Factor to it having only one iteration to go by.

Around the Network
specialk said:
HintHRO said:

I think my eyes just rolled into the back of my head.

But at least the "no gaemz" logic that was used against the PS4 in its first year is alive and well against the Switch in its first year!

I think now is a good time to point out that the best selling PS4 game is a port of the best selling PS3 game.

Consumers are okay paying for the latest and greatest version of incredible games.

Didn't buy it yet cuz I don't have a Switch, but come the holidays my wallet is going to be dead. I'm probably going to end up spending at least 600$ for the Switch, Mario Kart 8, Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Fire Emblem Heroes, Arms, Splatoon 2...that's way more than 600...I hope I can pay my rent.

Ljink96 said:
Didn't buy it yet cuz I don't have a Switch, but come the holidays my wallet is going to be dead. I'm probably going to end up spending at least 600$ for the Switch, Mario Kart 8, Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Fire Emblem Heroes, Arms, Splatoon 2...that's way more than 600...I hope I can pay my rent.

No reason to buy them all at once!  Get two at a time, finish them, then the next two!

areason said:
Well it's the systems 2nd game.

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/268019/super-bomberman-r-ships-over-500000-units-1-2-switch-on-track-for-1-million/

Click HERE and be happy