By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe's online isn't superior to the Wii U version's.

dahuman said:
d21lewis said:

My Switch is connected by WiFi and I definitely have issues. After the second round of connection errors, I quit.

My router is in my game room on the west end of my home where six home consoles (three using WiFi and three wired) rest. In the living room midway through my home is a PS4 and Xbox One using WiFi. 

On the opposite end of my home is The bedroom with another Xbox One using WiFi.

Despite being about three feet from the router, the Switch never registers a full four bars connection. It responds fast enough, though. Watching videos on the Switch is super fast. The issue COULD be the WiFi but I'm more confident that it's just Nintendo's online service. The other consoles work fine--even my portables but my Nintendo consoles have always had issues.

*to reduce stress on my network, I do turn my other devices off when not in use

Thats just it, i've had issues with nintendo's wifi since the wii so I got the wii ethernet adapter on ebay for like 8-9 bucks way back and have used it throughout wii u's life and is now on the switch, haven't had network issues since I changed it for Monster Hunter Tri where I went from disconnecting all the time to never disconnecting back on wii.

Might be worth considering the purchase, then. Nothing more frustrating than having the game suddenly quit on you.

Around the Network

if you think paid online is going to fix the online issues, you're in for a bad time.

MK8 was already P2P, they won't change the netcode just for a port.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Every time I read one of these threads, I have to wonder if the users have bad internet or they're playing with others that have bad internet. I have played something like 20 hours in deluxe so far, no errors. I also tethered it to my phone for an hour to test that out and it was pretty damn good.

Gaming content for gamers, by gamers. It's just common sense.

So, are people expecting to be better when the paid service beggins?

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
TomaTito said:

MK8 was already P2P, they won't change the netcode just because online is paid now.

Fixed!

Pavolink said:

Apparently. Also, yes, my thread title was inspired by you.

Einsam_Delphin said:
Pavolink said:

So, you think of Pavo when making threads? Hmm.

Einsam_Delphin said:
dongo8 said:
To the OP, this is NOT the same online that we will be paying for at all.

The online play? Yeah it is. The seperate phone app features and NES/SNES games are indeed not what's being talked about, just the online play itself and how it compares to the previous free online. That you haven't noticed any issues means well just that, you haven't noticed them, but they are definitely there. And anyway, this isn't really about whether there are issues or not, it's about if there's any significant improvement to the online play. So you can say you've never had any issues, but unless you're trying to say you did have problems in the original but no longer in Deluxe, then what I'm getting at (MK8D's online play not being significantly better) is still true even in your case.

As for Nintendo improving it, if they wanted to/could do so, I'd think they would have done it already. Wii U didn't start off with online play on par with the Wii's and only got better later on, it was superior from the get go. Course that doesn't mean they couldn't still improve it after the fact, but like I said earlier, they have little reason to. Most are fine with Wii U level online play, and despite the upcoming pay to play Switch and MK8D are selling very well.

Peh said:

From what I experienced, it's far worse than on Wii U. It takes longer to the see the voted map. Sometimes up to 15 seconds of nothing happening. There are issues with getting items... Meaning, you have to wait longer and you only get mushrooms and coins for the whole course. And disconnects of course, where  you suddenly get kicked out or you find yourself only with 2 other people left in the lobby.

All of this can happen in the original as well though. :L

I did run into connection issues on the MK8 Wii U version for sure. I haven't seen those yet on Switch. I think the bigger tests will be Splatoon 2 and Smash Bros. when it comes, because those two games had very obvious connection issues on the Wii U and were very nearly unplayable at times. Here's to hoping that the online infrastructure only improves from here. :)

NNID: Dongo8                              XBL Gamertag: Dongos Revenge

Wright said:

So, you think of Pavo when making threads? Hmm.

But of course, he is the best user afterall.

Einsam_Delphin said:
TomaTito said:

MK8 was already P2P, they won't change the netcode just because online is paid now.

Fixed!

Pavolink said:

Good.

I would love to do my "So, Zelda move consoles" thread, but I have not the desire now.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile