By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Disc Drive Finally Failed, Any Fixes?

Gonna just point out that you can probably get a pre owned one for pennies now, places like CEX here even give 24 month warranties on their stuff so it would be covered for any little things which go wrong again in the next two years.

Watch this for jokes, here is the Wii console, with everything you need to use it, including a Wii Remote
https://ie.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SWIIWIIE005

Here is the price of a Wii Remote same company
https://ie.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SWIIWIIE002

You can effectively get the Wii package, and throw everything away bar the Wii Remote and it wont cost you anything... other than refuse charge of binning a Wii console.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
d21lewis said:
I'm sure I'm not much help but--you can probably get a whole new Wii for like $50. Not sure about the data transfer process, though. Transferring from Wii to Wiiu was pretty painless so I imagine going from Wii to Wii would be equally easy. Good luck!

Except the 2 hours of watching Pikmin pick up small blocks of memory and move it endlessly to the Wii U.  Just try and transfer 3DS to New 3DS XL.  Maybe your digital saves will transfer unlike mine (was able to redownload all purchased eshop games though).  After that I suppose I can't bitch about the Wii to Wii U transfer.

I did that for my 3DS and my daughter's! I totally blew it with her's and she lost all of her saves. Worked great with mine. I felt kinda bad about that.

I enjoyed watching the transfer, personally. But nothing says you have to watch the whole thing take place. Go watch a movie while it happens!

Get a replacement or take it to a local shop to repair it.

d21lewis said:

I did that for my 3DS and my daughter's! I totally blew it with her's and she lost all of her saves. Worked great with mine. I felt kinda bad about that.

I enjoyed watching the transfer, personally. But nothing says you have to watch the whole thing take place. Go watch a movie while it happens!

At first I just stared because I didn't know how long it would then after 20 mins or so I went to my PC.  That with the 1 hour download and update made me not want to get a launch system ever again.

RolStoppable said:
I've sent in my Wii in late 2010 and Nintendo's Austrian distributor put in a new disc drive for €60. I made backups of everything that could be copied to an SD card, but all of my saves and downloads were returned with my Wii, so it turned out to be a complete waste of time.

Unfortunately, Nintendo doesn't repair original Wii consoles anymore.  They are currently only doing Switch, Wii U, Wii Mini, and 3DS.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network
Ultrashroomz said:
I opened up a Wii before to access the disc drive, not replace it, but I recall just being able to disconnect cable to move it around.

Not too hard really, just need to peel off a bunch of stickers covering up some screws, and have a triwing screwdriver on stand by.YT

Yep, that is why I thought it looked pretty easy in the videos I saw.  I might give it a go.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing

d21lewis said:
I'm sure I'm not much help but--you can probably get a whole new Wii for like $50. Not sure about the data transfer process, though. Transferring from Wii to Wiiu was pretty painless so I imagine going from Wii to Wii would be equally easy. Good luck!

I don't think there is an offical process for a Wii to Wii transfer.  You would pretty much have to just copy everything to a SD card, then copy files from the SD card to the new Wii.  I know there is some stuff that won't allow you to copy, which has me a little hung up.  I would prefer everthing in one place.  It would also kind of suck to have a half broken console sitting around.  I kind of want to fix it.

Edit:  And now that I think more about it, I don't know if I could move my near 100 Miis.

Now Playing

IkePoR said:
Get a flash drive and homebrew. You can store backups of all your games and play them that way.

Meh, I know it is an old console at this point, but I am not really a fan of this route.

Now Playing

sethnintendo said:
Blow in it

Now Playing

theRepublic said:

I don't think there is an offical process for a Wii to Wii transfer.  You would pretty much have to just copy everything to a SD card, then copy files from the SD card to the new Wii.  I know there is some stuff that won't allow you to copy, which has me a little hung up.  I would prefer everthing in one place.  It would also kind of suck to have a half broken console sitting around.  I kind of want to fix it.

Edit:  And now that I think more about it, I don't know if I could move my near 100 Miis.

Only luck then would be getting a Wii U refurb from Nintendo's online store or used somewhere and doing a Wii to Wii U system transfer.  Your saves and Miis should all go to the Wii U and able to access them through Wii mode.