By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How Sony could counter the Switch!

KBG29 said:
NewGuy said:

Sony doesn't make laptops anymore and honestly should be out of TVs and possibly phones. Why the hell would a car audio play playstation? Lol wth?

I actually think a theoretical PS4 Portable should be a high end tablet (at least for launch, it has to be high end) with a gamevice/switch like peripheral (A DS4 split apart like one of those old patents). That is actually what the recent Sony patent shows. The theoretical PS4P should allow the user to easily and seamless access the android OS so that they can use the device for non gaming purposes and google play games. Yes, it should be a dual boot machine. Sony is not capable of developing an OS close to what you can get with Android, IOS or Windows. Even if they could, they are so behind that it's not worth the effort.

Currently they don't make Laptops or Tablets, because they were making Windows and Android based devices no one wanted. The masses are not going to pay twice the price for a device, even if it offers twice the battery life, twice the reliability, and the best display on the market if it is running the same software. 

Not sure why you think they should get out of the TV business. Sure the Android TV OS they are using is absolute garbage, but the TVs themselves are easily the best in picture quality.  The Z9D is by far the best TV I have seen, and the A1E OLED they are just rolling out is only a tick behind that. Even their lower end stuff is exceptional. They are basically at price parity with or cheaper than Samsung and LG.

I know I am probably the only one in the world that enjoys gaming this much, but I think it would be totally awesome to be able to pull into work on a day with light traffic, and have a half hour to game on a 12" display, straight from my deck. I would keep two DS4's in the car just incase I had someone along and we wanted to bust into a little local multiplayer. 

I don't agree with the whole dual boot idea. Sony products should run on a Sony OS, and offer the ability to work with other OSs through a PSN connected app. The worst thing about the Bravia TVs and the Xperia Phones is the garbage Android OS that they run on. The Bravias were much better 2014 and earlier on the old Sony OS, and the Vita OS is way better than Android on Xperia, except for the fact that every app has been stripped from it.

Sony needs to bring all of their devices to the PS4 OS. Android and Windows has wrecked havok on every Sony division they have touched. Sony needs to build 100% Sony products, and bring as much outside software support in as possible, and play really nice with the other OSs. There is very little desire for Sony products running on these OSs, because it does not matter how much better your hardware is when it is restricted to an unoptimized OS. Thus Android and Windows fans have little interest in Sony products, nor Sony fans don't want watered down Sony products. Sony needs to build devices that have Hardware, Software, and the OS all engineered and optimized to the same level.

No one wanted SONY windows and android devices. A lot of people want windows and android devices, just not Sony's. All you have to do is look at the marketshare to know that people do want those OS in their hardware.

LOL if you think Vita OS - or Sony OS - is way better than Android. I have had both and it's not even comparable. The VitaOS is okay for a gaming device, but garbage for an all purpose device. It's not even debatable. You're suggesting Sony goes all closed ecosystem and tries to pull an apple. You probably liked the proprietary sd cards the vita had.

We can agree to disagree, because I'm not gonna convince you and you're not gonna convince me. I would not buy a dedicated gaming handheld. A gaming handheld - to me - would have to function as a tablet. And I expect the latest and greates from a tablet. That would be iOS, android, or windows. Without that, it's dead to me. You feel diffferently and that's fine. 

A 7nm is probably 2-3 years away, which would line up with Xavier, which is when this thing would be feasible for a reasonable price point and battery life.

Around the Network

taus90 said:

FUN fact: Almost all of those "Wii only games" can be played on Wii U via WiiWare, Virtual console or direct ports on wii U which brings down the tally of exclusive into double digits. But if you still

wanna consider them as exclusive then please consider PS2 games emulation on original launch PS3. 

TIP: Never use wikipedia as source.. e.g. PS3 list doesnt even include tons of japanese only exclusive games.

That is just a stupid argument. When talkign exclusives, one shoudl never discount an exclusive if it becomes available on a FUTURE device, especially when its the same companies future device.

Heck we might as well remove all ps4 exclusives right now as well cause the ps5 will probably have some way of playing them at some point, thus they are no longer exclusive to the PS4?

did u just jump mid conversation, his argument was about exclusive games only played on the said console and no where else, hence he choose the list which excluded games that were available on PS3 first and released latter to vita and PS4, but I guess he didnt realize that by his own logic and lack of research I can play all those "wii games" on wii u too.. So in short Wii does not have a bigger library than PS3. 

SpokenTruth said:
niceguygameplayer said:

With the early success of Switch,  it seems like Nintendo has a good concept. However, it is an underpowered system for this generation, let alone a 9th generation system. Lastly, will it continue to do as well when people are done playing Zelda? The exclusive release calendar is fairly barren this year as far as AA and AAA is concerned. Zelda, Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart, Ultra Street Fighter 2, Fire Emblem Warriors and Splatoon 2. This is where my idea comes in for Sony.

Sony is the exclusive King. This year brings Horizon Zero Dawn, Gravity Rush 2,  Ni No Kuni 2, Gran Turismo, Uncharted: The lost Legacy, Final Fantasy 12 remaster, Yazuka 0, Nioh, Nier Automata, Kingdom Hearts, Valkyria Revolution, Wipeout Omega Collection, Knack 2, MLB: The Show, etc. Possibly God of War 4 too. In 2018 they will likely release The Last of Us 2, FF7 remake, Kingdom Hearts 3, Days Gone, Yakuza 6, Detroit, Dreams, and God of War 4 if not in 2017. 

OK, here is my exciting idea! The PS4P! PlayStation Four Portable. A system that can play PS4 games at home and on the go. No drop in resolution for portable mode and a big battery. Maybe $350 with a pack in game or $300 for a stand alone. No gimmick controlers to raise the price. Just another Dual Shock required for local 2 player. 6.2 inch OLED screen with HDR. 

Imagine being able to play modern 8th generation games on the go, not 7th or 7.5. Also, there are many older games available for porting: Infamous 2nd Son, Killzone Shadow Fall, Knack, The last Guardian, FF 15, Black Ops III, Destiny, etc. Plus it could handle newer PS4 releases. Just not PS4 Pro versions. What do you guys think?

Why stop here?  Why not give it a 8 more cores, up the clock speed to 3.2 GHz, add in 24 more GB of RAM, toss in a second GPU, give it a 64,000 mAh battery and an 8k 6.2 screen for $199.

I hope you realize I'm being sarcastic but I do so only to illustrate that your proposal is just as impossible.

While we're at it it should come with a subscription service that gives anyone access to any PS4 game ever published on PSN,and all DLC for $1.99 a month.

As many others have said, they don't need to counter the switch. Especially not after PlayStation posted their highest profits since 1998, $1.22 Billion.

The problem with sony's approach to consoles is they choose AMD and x86 architechture (hotter and enegy hungry SoCs), AMD is years behind NVIDIA on high end graphics and power and low energy SoCs, they (AMD) simply can't do it right now.

34 years playing games.

Around the Network

Sony just need to find a way to purchase ps4 games on your Vita directly from the PSN store, and be playable on the Vita. Imaging Street Fighter V direct port to the Vita. Or even the new God Og War...

OMG

sabastian said:
Sony just need to find a way to purchase ps4 games on your Vita directly from the PSN store, and be playable on the Vita. Imaging Street Fighter V direct port to the Vita. Or even the new God Og War...

OMG

Why does it continue to boggle my mind on how some people actually have such little understanding of technology that they think something like this is even remotely practical?

potato_hamster said:
sabastian said:

OMG

Why does it continue to boggle my mind on how some people actually have such little understanding of technology that they think something like this is even remotely practical?

It will be in 2-3 years though. Honestly that should be Sony's handheld strategy, release the last gen console as a tablet/handheld SKU as you release the next iteration (ie. PS5).

NewGuy said:
potato_hamster said:

It will be in 2-3 years though. Honestly that should be Sony's handheld strategy, release the last gen console as a tablet/handheld SKU as you release the next iteration (ie. PS5).

Will it? Based on what grounds? What makes you think that you can easily make what is effectively a PS4 Portable that runs all digital copies of PS4 games without modification in 2-3 years in a form factor that is appealing to tens of millions of consumers?

SpokenTruth said:
NewGuy said:

The laws of thermal dynamics say no.

Moore Laws says yes.