By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Could a TV DOCK save the PSVITA?

Tagged games:

Is the PSVITA dead?

It is dead. 65 67.01%

Not dead yet. 10 10.31%

It is in life support intensive care unit. 18 18.56%

It is doing great. 4 4.12%

Total:97

Too many issues with Vita.

The marketing almost did not exist.

The marketing that did exist didn't advertise it's unique game and advertised CoD on the go. I knew that kind of stuff would not work well before.

Vita was marketed as a portable with console games and that hurt PSP early on as well til Sony corrected it,they never did with Vita. (Switch is marketed as a console that is portable,not a portable with console quality games as that never worked for Turboexpress,Nomad and early PSP and lastly Vita)

Sony did not focus on Vita. Nintendo takes their hand helds very seriously in markeitng and firts party titles. Few Sony 1st party games are on Vita. Uncharted was a afterthought game.

AT&T partnership for a 300 dollar hand held with the most hated mobile carier. Sony was booed on stage. Sony did not sell this version for long.

The price was not competitive with 3DS. It was very expensive.

Lastly the memory cards. Had it used standard micro SD cards the first 2 issues could possibly been over looked somewhat. The chances were still slim for it to succeed.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Vita. Playing Soldner X-2 on it now. Just Sony took so many missteps. Had they marketed it as a 3DS competitor and not a portable PS3,kept the price lower,no 3G model and had micro SD cards I think Vita could be maybe half of 3DS sales. I know mobile gaming hurt the dedicated handheld. Still think Vita could have sold 30+ million.

Vita is very much alive in Japan and still get's many smaller niche games on cart. It's not dead but it's a super niche product.

Around the Network

Vita is done, kept alive purely by fan support, indies & niche Japanese 3rd party. If Sony were serious about getting back into mobile, they need to make phone controllers / case ($50, including one free game of choice) with a suite of 10-15 games at launch, a combo of PS1 & PS2 ports and new mobile games usable only with the new hardware.

Imagine playing Einhander, Ape Escape, or a new Diablo-esque Horizon spinoff on the go, without needing a whole separate device.

Bristow9091 said:
If you're wanting to connect a Vita to a TV... why not just get a PS TV? You can put Vita game in it, and can download games off the store onto it too.

I am thinking about ways to save the handheld. But I guess 6 years and 15 million units is a bonafide failure. I mean, at least in comparition with the PSP. I do wonder if it was a profit maker to Sony.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

arcaneguyver said:
Vita is done, kept alive purely by fan support, indies & niche Japanese 3rd party. If Sony were serious about getting back into mobile, they need to make phone controllers / case ($50, including one free game of choice) with a suite of 10-15 games at launch, a combo of PS1 & PS2 ports and new mobile games usable only with the new hardware.

Imagine playing Einhander, Ape Escape, or a new Diablo-esque Horizon spinoff on the go, without needing a whole separate device.

I think they will never do a handheld again.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

SegataSanshiro said:

Too many issues with Vita.

The marketing almost did not exist.

The marketing that did exist didn't advertise it's unique game and advertised CoD on the go. I knew that kind of stuff would not work well before.

Vita was marketed as a portable with console games and that hurt PSP early on as well til Sony corrected it,they never did with Vita. (Switch is marketed as a console that is portable,not a portable with console quality games as that never worked for Turboexpress,Nomad and early PSP and lastly Vita)

Sony did not focus on Vita. Nintendo takes their hand helds very seriously in markeitng and firts party titles. Few Sony 1st party games are on Vita. Uncharted was a afterthought game.

AT&T partnership for a 300 dollar hand held with the most hated mobile carier. Sony was booed on stage. Sony did not sell this version for long.

The price was not competitive with 3DS. It was very expensive.

Lastly the memory cards. Had it used standard micro SD cards the first 2 issues could possibly been over looked somewhat. The chances were still slim for it to succeed.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Vita. Playing Soldner X-2 on it now. Just Sony took so many missteps. Had they marketed it as a 3DS competitor and not a portable PS3,kept the price lower,no 3G model and had micro SD cards I think Vita could be maybe half of 3DS sales. I know mobile gaming hurt the dedicated handheld. Still think Vita could have sold 30+ million.

Vita is very much alive in Japan and still get's many smaller niche games on cart. It's not dead but it's a super niche product.

I was very impressed with mine. But I sold and gave the money to charity after one year. Played Uncharted, Fifa, LBP, Persona Golden... Good stuff, but got tired of it.

Around the Network

I voted 'not dead yet' since it's still getting lots of games each in week in japan, even without a tv dock.

I enjoy my PS Vita, but just let the poor thing die in peace. It's really not worth all this extra effort for a device that released almost 6 years ago.

Too late for that now.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Isn't there already something like this? VITA TV?

No. At this point, the PS Vita is pretty much dead. It's still a cool handheld system, though.