By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo has a problem we are not talking about much.

Nintendo has been a big success so far. Zelda has done a lot to help sell switch consoles. With the hybrid portable home console was a smart move for Nintendo. Seems the idea is working.

Now the sun is not always sunny on the other side. We heard and saw a picture with all these development studios making games for the switch. Well if you look at all the games. Except for Splatoon 2, Arms, New Fifa 2018, Nba 2k18, Just dance 2017, Minecraft switch edition,Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Mario Odyssey and a few others I'm missing (excluding Indi games) . Well Nintendo does not have that many switch games coming out that aren't just a port or  remastered version. Yes it good that games no matter what they are are coming out for the switch. But when games like Grand theift auto, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Madden, and MLB not on your console but on the other three. What makes someone as a hardcore gamer want to buy a switch. Nintendo better have something up there sleeve come E3 time or else I got a bad feeling for Nintendo and the switch

Around the Network

You mean no third party AAA games get ported to the switch? I think people here talk about it everyday.

The Switch is just released, give them some time. It gonna took a while to create new game specially designed for the Switch. Even PS4 suffered from this problem during its early year.

A handheld gamer only (for now).

Nintendo's home console's have had the same issue since the N64, so this isn't really anything new. The SNES was probably the last time when their home console's weren't sold almost exclusively based on 1st party releases. However, with the Switch being a hybrid system it's quite likely that at some point companies making games for portable systems will make the transition from the 3DS to the Switch, at least in Japan.

And, as mentioned above, the Switch is still in its infancy, so you should give it at least a year to build up 3rd party support before making judgements.

MLB is exclusive to Sony, isn't it?

Around the Network
Vor said:
The Switch is just released, give them some time. It gonna took a while to create new game specially designed for the Switch. Even PS4 suffered from this problem during its early year.

This is about Third Party AAA games, not exclusives.

PS4's launch lineup had (day1):

Assassins Creed, Madden, Battlefield, Need for speed, Call of duty, Fifa, Killzone, Injustice,  NBA.

OP has a point, its not to early to say "where are the 3rd party AAA games?".

I honestly think Power plays a part, and we probably wont be seeing alot of these games on the Switch, simular to the Wii U.

Its the wrong console to buy for Third party AAA games.

You buy it for nintendo exclusives.

JRPGfan said:

This is about Third Party AAA games, not exclusives.

PS4's launch lineup had :

Assassins Creed, Madden, Battlefield, Need for speed, Call of duty, Fifa, Killzone, Injustice,  NBA.

OP has a point, its not to early to say "where are the 3rd party AAA games?".

I honestly think Power plays a part, and we probably wont be seeing alot of these games on the Switch, simular to the Wii U.

Since the OP is stating that Nintendo doesn't have that many Switch game incoming that isn't port or remastered I assumed the OP is talking about original games.

Anyway about 3rd party AAA games there are some problems. Powers and Nintendo's userbase mostly didn't care about most of thosr games.

A handheld gamer only (for now).

Reading about "hardcore gamers", it's like 2007 all over again. There's only good games and bad games - gamers will come to the Switch if the software is good enough.

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

The ideal situation would be for Nintendo to get all of the key third-parties you mentioned (particularly since Nintendo can make a big deal about them being portable; just imagine how much of a case they can make about a portable GTA V port). This ideal scenario would give them a larger audience, but I do not think their strategy right now is too problematic and they can still reach a large number of people. I will explain my reasoning for this below.

Also, MLB is not really available right now on XOne and PC. I believe Sony is the only that has a proper MLB game right now (unless 2K games makes a new one for the new systems)

"What makes a hardcore gamer want to buy a Switch?"

It is important to note that the Switch itself has IPs that are not on other systems, and so that will provide gamers a reason to pick up the system that hardcore gamers may like (I mean games like Zelda, Xenoblade 2, Skyrim are not really casual friendly titles). On top of that it is a portable system that can compliment a PC/PS4/XOne. I find a lot of gamers with stationary home consoles that also have a 3DS (many of the ones I know well are interested in the Switch); similarly, I would not be surprised if we see these people get a Switch to compliment their home system.

One other case I want to bring up is the Vita, which got many of the games you mentioned (at least initially) as well as entries in popular series like COD, Asssassins Creed (although COD on Vita was downright terrible, but Assassins Creed was decent), and MLB; none of that ended up helping it much.

As for much of the lineup being ports, I do not see this being much of an issue at all for the first year to year and a half. Both PS4 and XOne's first year library consisted largely of cross-gen ports (similar to the Switch). This is not abnormal because most devs get kits a few months to a year before launch, and game development can take much longer than that. On top of that ports provide a devs with the ability to become familiar with the hardware on a technical level without having to consider other elements of game development, such as game design. In addition, ports on Switch make quite a lot of sense for consumers because they allow the games to be played on the go, and in terms of Wii U ports, it gives a large number of people that did not purchase a Wii U the chance to play those games.

I think Nintendo's lineup is pretty strong right now and has the potential to garner a large audience (the price I believe is far more inhibitive than software at this point; although like I said earlier more third-party support certainly can't hurt). At E3, even if Nintendo and partners do not specifically bring GTA, Battlefield, Madden, MLB, etc. but rather bring games like Pokemon, Super Smash, and some games specifically designed for the system I can see the system being fine. My main worry for Nintendo's E3 is that they announce very little and just focus on things announced already, in which case I believe the system might be in trouble.

Well yeah let's wait until after E3 like you said, and I'm pretty sure the words nintendo and NO 3rd party are talked about every day round here