By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Firmware 3.65 killed Skype on Vita

twintail said:
KBG29 said:
It blows me away that people think using the Vita as a phone is a joke. 

can i use line on my vita? can i use whatsapp? can i play pokemon go?

No. But I have a Nexus6p and I don't do any of those things because I don't need/want to. So there's no real point to your post.

The Vita met his needs for years. Not everyone uses their phone for the exact same apps.

4 ≈ One

Around the Network

That sucks dude. I was really bummed when it lost the youtube app.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Sorry your taking the inevitable death of the Vita so hard. But just imagine this, a phablet sized Sony smart phone with removable Shock-Con controllers and a physical game card slot. More powerful than the Switch and much more capable for everyday use. It probably will happen sometime in the future.

Hey! They got SONY on my amiibo! Wait a minute. Two great gaming tastes that game great together!

Switch FC: SW-0398-8858-1969

And what did you expect from Sony. LOL

Watch out, we gotta badass over here. Just kidding, just a sad alt -StarOcean

Alkibiádēs said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Freedom Wars

Persona 4 Golden

I don't think you know the meaning of AAA games. 

They definitely are as AAA as handheld games get.

I would have mentioned Killzone Mercenary, Uncharted Golden Abyss, and Wipeout 2048 first though.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
Alkibiádēs said:

I would have mentioned Killzone Mercenary, Uncharted Golden Abyss, and Wipeout 2048 first though.

No, they're not. They're niche games, one of them being a remake of a PS2 game. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

outlawauron said:
Alkibiádēs said:

Agreed. The best games on the Vita are top shelf. I'd throw in Soul Sacrifice as a legit AAA game too.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

I've had a couple of emergency situations where I had to use my vita as a phone... welp. No reason to need the 3G version anymore.

KBG29 said:
It blows me away that people think using the Vita as a phone is a joke. Over the years I have heard every argument, and few hold any weight.

I heard the Vita is to big. Now people are carrying around iPhones and Galaxy Phones in Otter boxes that make the devices much bigger than the Vita.

I heard people argue about the battery life. Yet everyone I know has their Smartphone plugged in at their desk, in their car, or on the sofa next to them.

I heard people argued about price. Yet the Vita was $299.99 at launch and you could get 32GB of memory for another $100. The Vita was half the price of any smartphone.

As time went on arguments about the lack of apps grew, and became very compelling, however, that was not the case in 2011. Vita was great at launch, and had many of the most popular apps, reaching beyond the Sony wall and they offered additional apps via PlayStation Mobile to address the calculator, health apps, levels, compass's, and such crowd.

The fact that people think it is acceptable to use a device with a touch screen and no buttons as a phone, and that it should be the end all be all is what I find a joke. It is beyond logic why the gaming community chose to join the crowd of free to play, asset stealing, garbage on android and ios when there was a viable option that offered real games, and much higher quality hardware. It is absolutely sickening that people actually argue against the expansion of handhelds and consoles, claiming that they should stay dedicated. Why would people refuse more value, and more form factor options.

Anyways, I am good. I knew this was inevitable, and I have been ready for this. As I said, I really hope Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo finally bring a Handheld/Phone hybrid to the market. I will look into a Surface Phone if they offer Xbox Anywhere on them. Otherwise, for now, it is back to the flip phone. Probably be better off being more productive anyways. Been 3 years of Remote Play and PS Now at breaks and lunch. Now I can focus on other things during this break from mobile entertainment.

Well... It doesn't seem like nearly as big a deal to me as you're painting it to be, but I admire your passion lol

I imagine you can blame the Nokio N-Gage and Gizmondo for that permanent split... while it's unfair, there was definitely a bad taste left in the mouth of gamers when anyone tried to claim you could combine a dedicated gaming device with a phone, as the "Taco" and that Gizmondo/Swedish Mafia Toy become the source of endless jokes for quite a while there.

For the record, if Nintendo added a few features to the Switch I'd not be opposed to using it as a phone, just carrying around the tablet without the controllers. After playing "World of Goo" on it I have to say that I absolutely love the touchscreen, it's far better than previous Nintendo touch screens.

I'm curious though, how was the Vita battery life when functioning as a phone for you?

Alkibiádēs said:
outlawauron said:

No, they're not. They're niche games, one of them being a remake of a PS2 game. 

Remake of a PS2 game that sold over a million copies with undeniable quality and polish.

Would you not consider Xenoblade Chronicles on 3DS a AAA handheld game? I mean, I know it's a terrible port, but it's still an ambitious game.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.