By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Firmware 3.65 killed Skype on Vita

F.Scofield said:
playing AAA games on the vita? tell me where i buy that one.

Freedom Wars

Persona 4 Golden

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network

Speaking as a user of many devices over the years that were rather unpopular (dreamcast, vita, windows phones, etc), I can definitely feel your pain. But since I never got a 3G Vita I just stopped taking it out and about when I began to commute with a car instead of public transit.

What shocks me most about the loss of Skype support is that you've had it for as long as you did. I mean heck, Microsoft dropped Skype support for Windows Phone 8.1 last Fall (or earlier, can't quite recall). Who's most responsible for them dropping support on the Vita? Sony, or Microsoft?

Using the Vita as a phone is stupid because it's not a phone. It's about as useful as using an iPhone as your primary computer. Sure, it kinda works I guess, you can even connect a mouse and a keyboard. But it won't ever come close to an actual PC or Mac.

That said, why the hell are you even updating when you know you're losing a feature important to you? Just stay on an old firmware. Get henkaku, install homebrew that actually brings you new features Sony will never deliver. PSN can be accessed by spoofing, but there really isn't too much there anyway, so even if it wouldn't be accessible from a CFW anymore, I wouldn't miss it.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Being a niche sucks, mate.

deskpro2k3 said:
F.Scofield said:
playing AAA games on the vita? tell me where i buy that one.

Freedom Wars

Persona 4 Golden

I don't think you know the meaning of AAA games. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Around the Network

It amazes me a company can remove features like that. If I bought a Vita with Skype as part of the package and it was software I used most of the time then the product is now not as described. Surely you paid for that skype license when you bought the product and it should remain there and even if there was no license fee for Sony to pay they sold it with that feature. Why does improving the firmware allow you to remove important software?

Alkibiádēs said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Freedom Wars

Persona 4 Golden

Hold that thought, I'll let you know when I do.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
deskpro2k3 said:
Alkibiádēs said:

Hold that thought, I'll let you know when I do.

No man, your confusing  good games with AAA , you should have just said it's got COD and Assassins Creed titles then they would have ben happy.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

I thought Sony has killed Vita support for Skype a long time ago.

A handheld gamer only (for now).

Solid-Stark said:
Smh some people...

Sorry to hear the console lost a functionality you used, man. The Vita has slowly been losing support of it's apps over the last few years, I'm sure it must be frustrating.

I know, right. It's part of the reason I hardly ever make threads. I mean, I know it's the internet and all, but would it kill some people to post like decent human beings?

Anyway. It's quite sad having witnessed your enthusiasm for the vita over the years. Like you said, it was inevitable, but it still sucks.