By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Sell 12mil Lifetime (or close to it)

Yes, MK is an evergreen series for Nintendo. They continue to sell for years after release.

Around the Network

i'd say yes, if there's a game capable of surpassing 10m it's mario kart, i don't see any other game being able to outsell it except pokemon.

“On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer.” - Satoru Iwata

Fuchigole said:
As some others have said. It depends on when MK9 releases and how many Switches are sold.
By the way I don't remember a port outselling the original version before.

I don't think I remember a port outselling the original version either, but Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is in a sort of weird specific position where while it is a port, it's a port of a game that originally released on a console that was essentially already dead by the time it came out. (though it still sold 8 million), so there's tons of people out there who probably never even played it since a lot of people didn't even know what the fuck a Wii U was and those who did a lot of them thought it was an add-on controller for the Wii.

Yup. I can definitely see it sell that well. Safe prediction, I'd say (and that's a good thing)

I doubt it, especially if they make MK9 down the road.. :/

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network

End of 2016

MK7-14.82m

MK8-8.36m

Clearly there are a large number of people who enjoy MK that never got a Wii U so if Switch is a hit among 3DS owners and MK9 doesnt release in next year or two than it has a good chance of selling over 12 million.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

No chance, especially when its legs will be killed somewhere before when MK9 inevitably release. I'm still confident MK8D will be the worst selling MK game (assuming you don't combine the sales with vanilla MK8, of course). 

SpokenTruth said:
tbone51 said:

Well im not sure if these games beat it but they are very very close.

Persona 4 golden

Super mario 64 ds

DS - 10.3 million
N64 - 11.9 million.

Didn't check Persona.

I think those numbers are outdated.check the nintendo site? I thoughy ds was 12milu

SpokenTruth said:
Wright said:

No chance, especially when its legs will be killed somewhere before when MK9 inevitably release. I'm still confident MK8D will be the worst selling MK game (assuming you don't combine the sales with vanilla MK8, of course). 

Do you write for Polygon?

No, for VGChartz. 

Wright said:

So you think MK8D will sell less than GBA MK that sold 5.5m!? Because MK8D can easily sell more than 5.5m before MK9 arrives.