By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Edition Metascore Prediction - 92 Meta and 92,32% GR

The game is like almost twice as big now  as it was when it released on Wii U with the extra tracks and new battle mode. If the gameplay is still seen as good as some years ago (which would be only then not the case if other games would have done it better) I can absolutely understand some more points in reviews. It even changed gameplay a little to the better.

Not sure how other people have such a problem to believe that these reviews are honest and deserved and not bought or whatever.

Around the Network
Nuvendil said:

Hmm.  You're right this handheld grace does explain a lot.  I always wondered why Xenoblade Chronicles 3D and Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D managed to top the originals but this perspective really explai-

...oh.  Wait, that's right they both scored 4 points lower on 3DS.

Seems this whole handheld grace thing might just be a bit exaggerated or mostly imagined.  

That's poor logic. An effect doesn't have to be universal to be relevant, it doesn't even have to be the majority. A multitude of others variables can come into play, e.g. both the games you bring up are downports, while P4G and MK8D are upgrades. There's plenty of room for debate, but that's a poor basis to mockingly dismiss discussion.

Can it beat the last of us remastered though?

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Qwark said:

Doubt it. Will probably settle at around 91-92.

Qwark said:

If it finishes 92 or higher it'd have to be considered a major critical success.

Around the Network
Johnw1104 said:
Qwark said:

If it finishes 92 or higher it'd have to be considered a major critical success.

I consider every game above 89 a major critical Succes.  But I want to know if it can beat the highest rated exclusive remaster. It's really close so I guess it can actually beat it.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Zekkyou said:
Nuvendil said:

Hmm.  You're right this handheld grace does explain a lot.  I always wondered why Xenoblade Chronicles 3D and Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D managed to top the originals but this perspective really explai-

...oh.  Wait, that's right they both scored 4 points lower on 3DS.

Seems this whole handheld grace thing might just be a bit exaggerated or mostly imagined.  

That's poor logic. An effect doesn't have to be universal to be relevant, it doesn't even have to be the majority. A multi-tide of others variables can come into play, e.g. both the games you bring up are downports, while P4G and MK8D are upgrades.

My point was that *he* brought it up without consideration for other variables as a reason to dismiss the score when numerous other logical explanations can be put forward.  The game includes all DLC plus new content, it won't have been reviewed by the same individuals, etc.  Saying that portability causes a net boost to game scores seems like a very trite and half baked rationale for dismissing a score someone doesn't agree with.  And as pointed out by others, very few reviews bother to even mention the portability as a positive.  And as otjers have also pointed out, plenty of ports have retained their high scores by just paxkaging all DLC together and polishing the visuals.  Thats what MK8D did and then added new content to boot.  Content that the original game lacking was a major complaint.

Gotta be honest, I was expecting a worse score than the original. 93 is very surprising...don't think it will get lower than 91 at this rate, unless it gets trolled. 

etking said:
Switch reviews seem to be biased / influenced by free consoles and bribery.
BotW already did get inflated scores which in no way reflected the game's major flaws or player opinions.

And increasing the score of a 3 year old 88 Wii-U game to 93 for no reason points towards unfair and biased reviews. The new Battle mode alone, despite being the heart and soul of every Mario Kart game, cannot be the explanation.

You just sold me on that being the explanation, thanks!

Nuvendil said:
Zekkyou said:

That's poor logic. An effect doesn't have to be universal to be relevant, it doesn't even have to be the majority. A multi-tide of others variables can come into play, e.g. both the games you bring up are downports, while P4G and MK8D are upgrades.

My point was that *he* brought it up without consideration for other variables as a reason to dismiss the score when numerous other logical explanations can be put forward.  The game includes all DLC plus new content, it won't have been reviewed by the same individuals, etc.  Saying that portability causes a net boost to game scores seems like a very trite and half baked rationale for dismissing a score someone doesn't agree with.  And as pointed out by others, very few reviews bother to even mention the portability as a positive.  And as otjers have also pointed out, plenty of ports have retained their high scores by just paxkaging all DLC together and polishing the visuals.  Thats what MK8D did and then added new content to boot.  Content that the original game lacking was a major complaint.

I fail to see how bringing it up is "dismissing a score". As i noted to someone else, while i think portability is a logical point of discussion (if there was absolutely no net positive to something being portable, then the Switch wouldn't have a reason to exist), it's not a criticism. If it improved the experience for some critics, then it's a valid point of praise. It's just that MK8's score jump is an anomaly compare to the overwhelming majority of other remasters, remakes, and ports. We already know everything that's in the game, and yet even many Nintendo fans are surprised. Discussion is naturally going to turn to how we got here, and portability is one of the obvious places to start.