By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Edition Metascore Prediction - 92 Meta and 92,32% GR

Johnw1104 said:
Barkley said:

I think you're taking my post me saying that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is getting better reviews then it deserves, which is not what I'm saying at all. My post is saying Mario Kart 8 (WiiU) got worse reviews  due to influence from negative public opinion at the time.

Hmm, I actually thought that review was fair... it seemed to me the completely phoned in battle mode would almost always warrant a full point docked from the total.

I guess, I view it from a different perspective as Battle Mode is of almost no importance to me in Mario Kart. Mario Kart 8 is the best in it's series imo.

Equally I may not view MK8:D as warranting a 5 point increase from it's improvements alone because of my current disinterest in handheld gaming.

Around the Network
etking said:
Switch reviews seem to be biased / influenced by free consoles and bribery.
BotW already did get inflated scores which in no way reflected the game's major flaws or player opinions.

And increasing the score of a 3 year old 88 Wii-U game to 93 for no reason points towards unfair and biased reviews. The new Battle mode alone, despite being the heart and soul of every Mario Kart game, cannot be the explanation.

LOL, someone please post the salt popsicle flavour gif.

“On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer.” - Satoru Iwata

Johnw1104 said:
StarDoor said:

The total price that the guy mentioned is still completely wrong, since the entirety of the DLC only costs $12. It's not even close to $100, it's $72.

Ah, well it was this review:

http://www.dualshockers.com/2017/04/20/mario-kart-8-deluxe-review-nintendo-switch-new/

'All DLC costs only $12? I thought I remembered a few DLC releases that cost money.

Wow, the reviewer himself equates $72 with "nearly $100."

In the middle of the review: "people who were huge fans of the series and bought the main game along with the DLC for a whopping $72 will feel fairly ripped off."

At the end of the review: "with limited offerings for Mario Kart veterans who shelled out nearly $100 on the last experience, the title will be significantly less rewarding."

Lol, already second Switch game over 90 metascore. :)

StarDoor said:
Johnw1104 said:

Ah, well it was this review:

http://www.dualshockers.com/2017/04/20/mario-kart-8-deluxe-review-nintendo-switch-new/

'All DLC costs only $12? I thought I remembered a few DLC releases that cost money.

Wow, the reviewer himself equates $72 with "nearly $100."

In the middle of the review: "people who were huge fans of the series and bought the main game along with the DLC for a whopping $72 will feel fairly ripped off."

At the end of the review: "with limited offerings for Mario Kart veterans who shelled out nearly $100 on the last experience, the title will be significantly less rewarding."

Ah, I didn't see the $72 while skimming through. I was reading his review primarily as I always read through the highest and lowest rated reviews to see whether or not they can sway me with their criticisms/compliments. His was a strange review in that he seemed to love the game, but was rather offended that Deluxe includes DLC that Wii U players paid for. Really, if you remove any mention of the Wii U it reads like a perfect score review lol, but that so ticked him off that it wound up with an 80.

Around the Network
Barkley said:
Johnw1104 said:

Hmm, I actually thought that review was fair... it seemed to me the completely phoned in battle mode would almost always warrant a full point docked from the total.

I guess, I view it from a different perspective as Battle Mode is of almost no importance to me in Mario Kart. Mario Kart 8 is the best in it's series imo.

Equally I may not view MK8:D as warranting a 5 point increase from it's improvements alone because of my current disinterest in handheld gaming.

The main thing with a franchise like Mario Kart is that the previous installments are essentially held against any new ones, demanding that you offer the same features that have been established in the past. Mario Kart essentially has to have a quality battle mode to not lose points these days.

Miyamotoo said:
Lol, already second Switch game over 90 metascore. :)

Third

http://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/shovel-knight-treasure-trove

It's back at a 94 metascore with 35 reviews.

I have to admit i'm somewhat sceptical that what the Deluxe edition offers over the original is the difference between a game being ranked (at least on metacritic) in the 600s versus the 90s, but i seem to be the minority in thinking that :p

Johnw1104 said:
Barkley said:

The main thing with a franchise like Mario Kart is that the previous installments are essentially held against any new ones, demanding that you offer the same features that have been established in the past. Mario Kart essentially has to have a quality battle mode to not lose points these days.

Also they will complain about any course the prior game had not being in the new game.

I mean if Mario Kart 9 doesn't have all 48 of these courses 8 has, expect people to bitch.