By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony going third party is an excellent idea for gamers.

Tagged games:

Do you agree?

Yes, I find it reasonable. 186 37.73%

No, I find it is a stupid idea. 307 62.27%

Total:493

Im sensing that this is a joke thread in response to something else, but I mean its already happening. PS Now can be used on PC, and some PS4 games are coming to PS Now.

Sony's end game for this is the Netflix model. They want every single device under the sun to come with the PS Now app installed by default (or install-able from the marketplace) and able to pair with a 'DualShock Now' or whatever it will be called controller.

I'm not sure what you would call this. I think that their games will stay first party to their apps, but their apps will go third party on many platforms. So essentially you won't need Sony hardware to play them, but you will need a Sony subscription (same as Netflix). You could think of the first party games the same as you do 'Netflix Originals'.

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

Around the Network

This thread keeps going? lmao

The salt is real.

No I want to be a console peasant for life xD

Anfebious said:

PC gamers will have access to videogames they could never play. And vice versa.

PC gamers could finally enjoy the first party offerings from Sony, and Sony gamers would enjoy the PC offerings. A win-win situation.

So what is your opinion?

PC Gamers will have access to all of Sony's games eventually. Regardless if Sony likes it or not.

nemo37 said:
If we only had the PC market, a lot of devs would target low-end GPUs like integrated Intel cards because that is what most people have.

Except. That has never been true.

Back in the 90's and early 2000's, the PC had an extremely unique library, it wasn't untill the original Xbox that consoles started to get more and more PC ports.
With the last generation consoles it was pretty obvious PC games were being held back by consoles... A few games stepped out of the console shadow though and pushed PC hardware like Crysis, Metro 2033 and Battlefield 3.

PC games also used to leverage and push high-end GPU's: Case in point 3dfx Glide on Voodoo.

Barkley said:

1 - Physical Releases & Used Games, these are practically non-existant on PC (though this could change on console in the coming decade.) This is especially invaluable in regions with poor internet infrastructure or data-caps.

Majority of AAA games still get a physical release. Granted you might have to hunt around for it though.

Steam will also preload game data before a games release, so if your internet connection is slower/has data caps, you don't have to download it all at once.

Barkley said:

3 - Price/Performance, try building a PC as powerful as a PS4 for £200, Hell Sainsbury's were selling used XBO's for £130 the other day. Bluray Drive + HDD + Input Device (gamepad) + Case + PSU + CPU + GPU + Ram + necessary cables and a crappy headset in some cases.

If you are trying to use the price argument, try playing a PS4 game on your PS3.
Try using Photoshop.
And try buying your games as cheap as PC.

Try playing online without a paywall.

Plenty of second hand PC's around. So buying used is not an advantage.

Barkley said:

6 - Idiot Proof. Unlike PC's you don't need to check system requirements, you don't have to edit graphics options to get the game to run how you want it to, and the system itself is a lot easier to navigate.

If your PC is decent. You don't have to check requirements. Most games will automagically set graphics options to suit your hardware.

Steam big picture mode is easy to navigate on a controller and TV.

Sprash said:
seeing how many pc gamers have weak pcs, games from naughty dog would be held back way to much.

You do realise game engines do have options to turn effects on and off right for better graphics/more performance right?

If anything, Naughty Dog's games would look superior on PC. Majority of games do look better on PC.

estebxx said:

I just dont like gaming on PCs and the experience is just not the same, sometimes my controller just wont work again and i have to do all that setup of fixing its inputs all over again (that can take me easily over 15 minutes and even though i dont use my PC very much ive had to do that various times already), sometimes i have to download a .DLL file from some weird website just to get my game working, i also like trophies and have collected a good ammount of them so im not abandoning my account, plus i do prefer physical games mind you.

Ancedotal of course. I have no issues using my controllers. They are plug and play. Never had to download a .dll file.
Steam achievements are okay.

estebxx said:

Also there is this thing called exclusives that PC dont have, and so far my 3 favorites this gen have not and will not be released on PC (Bloodborne, HZD and Uncharted 4), you see those things are another BIG reason why i dont play on PC and why i prefer PS.

Do you have any evidence to justify your claim that the PC has no exclusives? Because I hate to say it... But it actually does have exclusives.

Valdath said:

Also PC isn't really an option for us physical collectors.

Big box PC game collecting is actually a thing.

Lawlight said:

2. This is something for PC enthusiasts only. Most gaming PCs aren't as capable as a PS4, which is why the most played PC games are made to run on low specs. I suppose it is a valid positive if you're still gaming on desktops.

I don't think you fully comprehend how underpowered the consoles are relative to the PC.
You don't need an expensive high-end enthusiast-grade, self-built desktop to run games that look better than what the PS4 can dish out.

Plus, hardware is constantly evolving, can't run a game at max settings with your current PC? That's okay. In a few years low-end hardware can.

Azuren said:

I don't feel like PC dying out is a good thing. I just wish PC gamers would accept that exclusives exist, and if you want to play them you'll have to buy the corresponding platform.

If the PC dies. Then so does the consoles.

The PC supports a ton of indie and small developers. The PC made games like Minecraft successfull.

The PC is also responsible for the technology that consoles are built from, if PC gaming dies, then so does the relatively advanced technology that powers it.

Burning Typhoon said:
Being centered around a standard hardware, (outdated or not) is great, as the games wouldn't look that much better on PC. You can't spend 299 on a PC and get something like horizon. I know it's a joke thread, but, still wanted to mention something.

And if you wanted to play the entire Playstation library you would need to have gotten a Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation Portable, Playstation Vita and a Playstation 4.
Granted if you got an early PS3, you could do both PS1 and PS2 games, so that's a consolidated cost I guess. Untill your console died.

The PC does it all with a single box.

The games are cheaper, there is no online paywall.

The other advantage PC has is that it's always improving. Today a $300 PC may not run something like Horizon at max graphics. But in a couple years time? All bets are off.

Burning Typhoon said:
2. Piracy is the biggest threat, smaller developers cant afford to have a strict DRM, coz if the game is any good it will be pirated, and many countries dont have that robust internet or infrastructure to go online only.

Piracy is no longer an issue. Steam fixed that. Welcome to 2017.

Burning Typhoon said:
3. Multiplayer Hacks Killing the fun, (cant wait to see how Destiny 2 deals with this issue)

They exist on console as well.

There is a device that allows you to map a mouse to a console controller which gives you an advantage in some games like Overwatch.

Consoles also get cracked and hacked. Granted it's not as prevelent as PC... But any good developer worth their salt will keep up with exploits. I mean, just look at Blizzard.

Burning Typhoon said:
4. Trophy and achievement, Why would me as a third party developer put in extra effort to put in those features. if i dont have to go through Sony and MS certification??? Again Not to mention those feature will be hacked to death.

But will they really? Do you have any prior examples of Achievement systems being hacked on PC?

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Chazore said:
Azuren said:

Being alive doesn't mean it wants to live ;)

Except it's still alive and has been since it's inception. Either way, it's selling it's games and people are buying them, otherwise they wouldn't seek to improve their client (but it's clearly better to call them dead as a fact than to give them their merits).

Okay, so if Sony were to make a storefront, you would definitely make all future purchases on it, right?

Provided the store is actually good to use and doesn't seek to hamper the games in any way, yes, yes I would. I do so for Origin, Battle.net, GoG (Galaxy) and Steam. The only one out of that lot is Uplay and that client hasn't done much at all, especially when that client latches onto Steam to act as double layer DRM (while the others don't). If the store took all of Steam's good pages then I'd see myself using it more often (all of the good pages, not just oens that suit the company, because I know some like that idea).

To get people using your client, you need to actually do things that attract them in the first place. Not pull an MS and expect everyone to flock in an instant, jesus christ no. Nothing on their view on what makes a store was good at all (outside of the play anywhere, but that involves a console, so to non console owners it's not really a plus).

It's really not rocket science, and it's why Sony won't release on PC until they either own a PC OS or are deciding to back out of the console industry.
Then they will fail in said PC OS space when everyone using the popular ones like Windows and Mac OS, so basically pulling a Windows store for the wrong reasons.

Oh and since you seem so cock sure and knowledgeable on just about everything, why aren't you at the helm?.

Except it's still the butt of many  jokes. 

And good on you, but the fact is most people don't use multiple clients and likely will continue to simply use Steam. They might go to other clients for their exclusives, but not other games. 

As usual, you seem to prefer missing the point. I wasn't saying Sony would make one, I was giving two scenarios that would result in Sony games on PC.

Lack of credentials and lack of contacts are the two most obvious and glaring ones. Doesn't change the fact that Sony doesn't put their games on PC and doesn't seem to have plans to. I'm only giving reasons to explain why they don't and why they likely won't in the future.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Master Race Pirates are the real Winners if this happens,

gtaguidelng said:

It will happen either way. All exclusives end up on PC eventually.

Pemalite said:
gtaguidelng said:

Pirates will have earlier access though unlike waiting years for a stable emulator. 

gtaguidelng said:
Pemalite said:

Pirates will have earlier access though unlike waiting years for a stable emulator. 

After a month or two, sales are pretty irrellevent anyway. And PC DRM schemes like Denuvo have combated that fairly well.

Besides. Piracy rates aren't that problematic on PC anymore, Steam solved that issue, just like iTunes solved the music piracy issue.