By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony going third party is an excellent idea for gamers.

Tagged games:

Do you agree?

Yes, I find it reasonable. 186 37.73%

No, I find it is a stupid idea. 307 62.27%

Total:493
Chazore said:
Azuren said:

I don't feel like PC dying out is a good thing. I just wish PC gamers would accept that exclusives exist, and if you want to play them you'll have to buy the corresponding platform. 

The only way Sony release their games on PC is if they did it like MS: making their own storefront. And they just watched Microsoft's storefront crash, burn, and fail when their storefront is built into Windows. Sony isn't going to release on Steam, because the entire purpose of making exclusives is to get people on their platform and increase the sales figures of games like Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed (from which Sony takes a cut for being on their platform). Putting, say, Uncharted 4 on Steam doesn't give Sony CoD sales, it gives Valve sales. Yeah, Sony makes some money off of their game, but they'll start hemorrhaging userbase to Stream. And that userbase is their livelihood. 

IF only gamers on the other side of the fence thought the same as well, but we're in this reality as is and they think differently like some PC gamers do.

I pointed out that someone had already come up with said idea like Steam, where they still make their own hardware a la MS, but also sell to PC the proper way (that being like a storefront, exactly like Valve's).

MS's crashed and burned because they locked it to Windows 10, they botched any and all features attached to it and lacking features that Steam has had for years (seriously, Steam is an open book, you don't ened to pay millions of dollars to open the client and see what it has, that you yourself could implement towards your own client). Also it's locked to Windows 10 only, which isn't doing so hot vs the Steam store which currently sells to:

Windows XP

Windows Vista

Windows 7

Windows 8

Windows `10

Linux

Mac OS

The windows store is incredibly limited in both it's reach and what it has to offer. If you looked into how it crashed and burned, you'd understand as to why others can make their store more ideal, than say going in blindly like MS and pulling the same stunt, then turning around and blaming the entire market, rather than what you did wrong vs what others did right. Also Steam doesn't take a 50-70% cut like we're trying to imagine here.

As for CoD sales, there are plenty of titles on all sorts of platforms that don't generate mega sales like CoD and we all clearly still celebrate said games selling at all, so I don't think every game needs to sell like CoD to be successful.

Origin did so well, too.

Oh wait. They didn't. Sony knows that if they were to release a Storefront that people would only use it to purchase their exclusives, as most are already heavily invested in Steam. And if people aren't buying their games on Sony's storefront, than all that cheddar those games would have made being exclusive suddenly vanishes. I know many PC gamers find it "anti-consumer", but their demands would cost Sony, not make them money like they want to think it would.

And Call of Duty was simply an example of a AAA multiplatform that Sony wants people buying on their console. In reality, this extends to ALL games. Sony makes money from every title sold on their platform, and their exclusives exist only to bolster the population of the platform, not necessarily to make money on their own.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network

Sony has nothing to offer than a pc can't, in fact all their interactive movies (games) can be more realistic with the real power of a real PC, so it's just good for all the players because if you are about graphics on PC your favorite sony franchise can be more like a movie more particle effects etc.

34 years playing games.

Valdath said:

I feel that was a huge issue during the PS3 days, Dark Souls 1 dropped to 14 fps in some areas, most games ran like shit at the end of the gen.

Not so much now, it seems multiplats run much better and will probably remain like that till the end of the gen.

Not entirely said for all games, not on the OG systems, where compromises need to be made to resolution, frames or textures. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Azuren said:

Origin did so well, too.

Origin is still alive

Sony knows that if they were to release a Storefront that people would only use it to purchase their exclusives, as most are already heavily invested in Steam. And if people aren't buying their games on Sony's storefront, than all that cheddar those games would have made being exclusive suddenly vanishes. I know many PC gamers find it "anti-consumer", but their demands would cost Sony, not make them money like they want to think it would.

You act as if you definitely know that there is only a single path in the future, as if everything is already predetermined. You forget that people choose all the other clients out there, but even then you'll set up the rest to being enxt to useless because they aren't magically churning out CoD sales (but I laugh at that since mobile sales dwarf CoD and the console market altogether, so we should use that instead if we're going to compare massive to small).

Their demands have made others money so far, rather than cause supposed massive failure rates of anyone daring to pander to that market.

And Call of Duty was simply an example of a AAA multiplatform that Sony wants people buying on their console. In reality, this extends to ALL games. Sony makes money from every title sold on their platform, and their exclusives exist only to bolster the population of the platform, not necessarily to make money on their own.

No, you're basing CoD as something of an ip that generates insane sales, rather than anything else out there. You are using a franchise that is multiplatform (not even exclusive at this point) and it's multiplat sales vs another market and asking said market to generate the numbers you think is needed for that market to be "viable".

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

Chazore said:
Azuren said:

Origin did so well, too.

Origin is still alive

Sony knows that if they were to release a Storefront that people would only use it to purchase their exclusives, as most are already heavily invested in Steam. And if people aren't buying their games on Sony's storefront, than all that cheddar those games would have made being exclusive suddenly vanishes. I know many PC gamers find it "anti-consumer", but their demands would cost Sony, not make them money like they want to think it would.

You act as if you definitely know that there is only a single path in the future, as if everything is already predetermined. You forget that people choose all the other clients out there, but even then you'll set up the rest to being enxt to useless because they aren't magically churning out CoD sales (but I laugh at that since mobile sales dwarf CoD and the console market altogether, so we should use that instead if we're going to compare massive to small).

Their demands have made others money so far, rather than cause supposed massive failure rates of anyone daring to pander to that market.

No, you're basing CoD as something of an ip that generates insane sales, rather than anything else out there. You are using a franchise that is multiplatform (not even exclusive at this point) and it's multiplat sales vs another market and asking said market to generate the numbers you think is needed for that market to be "viable".

Being alive doesn't mean it wants to live ;)

Okay, so if Sony were to make a storefront, you would definitely make all future purchases on it, right?

Right, you know much more about the intention of my post than I do. Please, take the floor and cover both sides of the argument, I'm clearly not needed. Wait, no, you don't. I used Call of Duty as an example of a widely known and popular multiplatform game that is specifically not exclusive. I swear, I have to explain this to you every time and it's like trying to eat soup with a damn fork.

1. Make platform.
  2. Get people on that platform. This can be accomplished by offering exclusive features, which range from services and functionality to even games and content.
  3. Larger userbase generates more game sales. Any and all game sales on said console generate reveneue for said console, as companies like EA and Activision Blizzard have to pay a percentage of their earnings on the platform in question to the manufacturer of the platform.
  4. Larger userbase draws in more users through a desire to play with friends as well, which is why Microsoft was so eager to have crossplatform online and Sony wasn't- This was an attempt by Microsoft to abolish one of Sony's advantages.
  5. Rinse and repeat 2-4 to continue making more money year over year.
It's really not rocket science, and it's why Sony won't release on PC until they either own a PC OS or are deciding to back out of the console industry.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
Azuren said:

Being alive doesn't mean it wants to live ;)

Except it's still alive and has been since it's inception. Either way, it's selling it's games and people are buying them, otherwise they wouldn't seek to improve their client (but it's clearly better to call them dead as a fact than to give them their merits).

Okay, so if Sony were to make a storefront, you would definitely make all future purchases on it, right?

Provided the store is actually good to use and doesn't seek to hamper the games in any way, yes, yes I would. I do so for Origin, Battle.net, GoG (Galaxy) and Steam. The only one out of that lot is Uplay and that client hasn't done much at all, especially when that client latches onto Steam to act as double layer DRM (while the others don't). If the store took all of Steam's good pages then I'd see myself using it more often (all of the good pages, not just oens that suit the company, because I know some like that idea).

To get people using your client, you need to actually do things that attract them in the first place. Not pull an MS and expect everyone to flock in an instant, jesus christ no. Nothing on their view on what makes a store was good at all (outside of the play anywhere, but that involves a console, so to non console owners it's not really a plus).

It's really not rocket science, and it's why Sony won't release on PC until they either own a PC OS or are deciding to back out of the console industry.
Then they will fail in said PC OS space when everyone using the popular ones like Windows and Mac OS, so basically pulling a Windows store for the wrong reasons.

Oh and since you seem so cock sure and knowledgeable on just about everything, why aren't you at the helm?.

Lmao the biggest console maker ever should leave the market and go 3rd party lmao? I'm guessing a nintendo or xbox fan made this. Makes zero sense

Haha nice joke thread that has somehow garnered so many responses in such a short time. Kudos.

Back on topic, It actually makes a lot of sense since Sony's first party output is abyssmal and they would benefit greatly in sales. In saying that the PS4 is killing it and any of the big 3 going third party would be best.

FYI I dont consider developers like Naughty Dog or Guerilla Games 1st party. They are 2nd party. Just like Camelot, Retro Studios, Pokemon Company are to Nintendo.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

Maraccuda said:
Haha nice joke thread that has somehow garnered so many responses in such a short time. Kudos.

Back on topic, It actually makes a lot of sense since Sony's first party output is abyssmal and they would benefit greatly in sales. In saying that the PS4 is killing it and any of the big 3 going third party would be best.

FYI I dont consider developers like Naughty Dog or Guerilla Games 1st party. They are 2nd party. Just like Camelot, Retro Studios, Pokemon Company are to Nintendo.

So If you 100% own the studio and IP it's not a first party ,just because you se it that way doesn't make it so. and plenty of 6-10 mill sales  is abysmal and extra sales on PC is going to greatly benifit them, even though they lose  around 600 milion or more yearly from PSN , and looking at companies that put their games on both platforms these extra sales aren't worth it.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Don't lie Anfebious, I know you want that to happen so you can get their games for free!