By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - WORST controllers you have used.

irstupid said:
thismeintiel said:

Man, it must suck having unsymmetrical hands.

@ OP

I'd have to say the original Xbox controller (the Duke) for just being WAY too big to use comfortably.  And definitely the N64 controller.  Any controller you can't reach 1/3 of the buttons without grabbing a 3rd grip, which then disallows you from using the analog stick and trigger button, is shit.

how are my hands unsymmetrical?

When playing a game, the buttons one uses the most are the left joystick and the right buttons. Thus it is most comfortable to have your hands resting evenly in the same place. You know, symetrical.

But playing on controllers with the joysticks both down below, my hands start to hurt after an hour or more. Kind of like when playing on a small controller like a 3DS or something. My hands are cramped and in an awkward angle. 

If your hands are rensting comfortable on the conrollers, you thumbs are resting nicely more vertically. YOu have to move your thumbs down to the joysticks on those controller I listed. Thus just having your thumbs in position, let alone using them, is working your muscles. It's a less natural position.

When I grab a DS controller, my thumbs are resting almost completely between the buttons and analog sticks.  Right thumb above the square and X, with my left thumb above the right and down buttons on the Dpad.  Barely have to move my thumbs at all to comfortably hit everything.  And I guess you don't play FPSs or 3rd person games where you control the camera if you barely use the 2nd stick.  I think symmetrical controllers are great for symmetrical hands.  Sure I could still game using a XBO controller, but thankfully I don't have to, since I greatly prefer the symmetrical sticks.

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
irstupid said:

how are my hands unsymmetrical?

When playing a game, the buttons one uses the most are the left joystick and the right buttons. Thus it is most comfortable to have your hands resting evenly in the same place. You know, symetrical.

But playing on controllers with the joysticks both down below, my hands start to hurt after an hour or more. Kind of like when playing on a small controller like a 3DS or something. My hands are cramped and in an awkward angle. 

If your hands are rensting comfortable on the conrollers, you thumbs are resting nicely more vertically. YOu have to move your thumbs down to the joysticks on those controller I listed. Thus just having your thumbs in position, let alone using them, is working your muscles. It's a less natural position.

When I grab a DS controller, my thumbs are resting almost completely between the buttons and analog sticks.  Right thumb above the square and X, with my left thumb above the right and down buttons on the Dpad.  Barely have to move my thumbs at all to comfortably hit everything.  And I guess you don't play FPSs or 3rd person games where you control the camera if you barely use the 2nd stick.  I think symmetrical controllers are great for symmetrical hands.  Sure I could stick game using a XBO controller, but thankfully I don't have too, since I greatly prefer the symmetrical sticks.

No hardly ever play shooters, so second slick is usually just being flicked every once in a while to adjust camera. Also with motion help, even less flicking is needed. You just do a quick huge flick in teh general area and finely tuen with a very subtle rotate of controller.

So I guess we are both being symmetrical. Shooters you basically just use sticks and right trigger. Other games you use all the buttons except the right stick. There is a reason games get knacked for bad camera controlls. Your right hand is too busy pushing the other 6 buttons that you can't waste it on the right stick and thus have ot rely on the developer to make the camera work good for you.

As I said in the OP this is all subjective so no need to argue about it folks. People are different. Most people hate the Dreamcast controller but it's one of my fave 3D game controllers.

SegataSanshiro said:
As I said in the OP this is all subjective so no need to argue about it folks. People are different. Most people hate the Dreamcast controller but it's one of my fave 3D game controllers.

I thought anybody that used Dreamcast controllers loved them! Didn't M$ try to emulate the design for the original Xbox?

N64 controller by far.

Around the Network

WiiU gamepad, Wiimotes. After using the PS4 controller I also find it harder to use the older playstation controllers, though I never had issues with them before.

d21lewis said:
SegataSanshiro said:

I thought anybody that used Dreamcast controllers loved them! Didn't M$ try to emulate the design for the original Xbox?

Yup. OG Xbox almost had VMU's. MS used DC's for focus groups to develop the Xbox. The colors and layout is mapped from DC controllers. DC controllers were an evolution of the Saturn 3D controller esp the white Japanese version. Then lastly of course Super Famicom did the colored buttons before anyone. Ehem sorry. Yes is the answer lol.

Wii and gamepad, now that I've played with DS4 I don't like DS1-3 like I used to haha

I hated the N64 and Gamecube controllers.

The OG Fat Xbox Controller, never used anything worse then that.

Not a fan of the Dreamcast controller either, but only used one for about an hour.