Forums - Gaming Discussion - None of the blockbuster 3rd party games coming to switch 2017

Switch lifetime figures?

12-15 million 72 7.05%

15-20 million 58 5.68%

20-25 million 78 7.64%

25-30 million 119 11.66%

Way more than the above 694 67.97%

Total:1,021
Flilix said:
Eagle367 said:

don't forget Mario Kart Zelda Halo 5 Uncharted 4 and hell i'd even argue Splatoon

They all sold less than Destiny though, except for Mario Kart.

I would argue that Destiny 1 had more hype than Destiny 2 but on the retrospect there is more hype for Splatoon 2 compared to Splatoon. So we don't really know how big destiny is but SPlatoon sold that on a failing system while Destiny was a multiplatform and was overhyped for the first one

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Around the Network

Destiny? Is this a joke?

Eagle367 said:
Flilix said:

They all sold less than Destiny though, except for Mario Kart.

I would argue that Destiny 1 had more hype than Destiny 2 but on the retrospect there is more hype for Splatoon 2 compared to Splatoon. So we don't really know how big destiny is but SPlatoon sold that on a failing system while Destiny was a multiplatform and was overhyped for the first one

I don't disagree with you. Splatoon sold incredibly well on such an unpopular console, and I think it can grow out to a much bigger franchise than Destiny ever will.
However, whether or not Splatoon is bigger than Destiny is very debatable. COD, GTA, FIFA and Pokémon are all objectively bigger than Destiny, but Splatoon and Uncharted aren't.
I just don't want this to turn into a pointless discussion about which franchise is bigger.

Yeah, I don't think people buy Nintendo platforms to play fucking Destiny 2. I don't think this is an issue. It will only become an issue if you have the situation the Wii U was in where it got like zero third party support AND pretty lackluster Nintendo support. I think you'll see a lot more support on Switch though as games that would have been 3DS titles are put on Switch instead or in addition to.

SpokenTruth said:
Aeolus451 said:
I think the switch will flop (under 40 mil) if Nintendo hasn't learned from the Wii U and doesn't have many 3rd party games. I know that some expect it to sell handheld or handheld + home console numbers but that's unrealistic with it being a unproven concept for a console. No one really knows what is gonna happen. If nintendo does things right, it will probably sell 80 to 110 mil. In my opinion, Nintendo is already making some mistakes with it, though.

Wii U had 3rd party (at launch) and that didn't seem to help anything at all.  I'm not saying they won't help, but they in no way ensure a flop either.

Nintendo is not Sony or MS.  We really need to start understanding that.   The market and audience of Switch and PS4/XOne do not have to be mutually inclusive. 

The key part of that is if nintendo learnt from it's mistakes or not. So far there's signs that they haven't learned a damn thing. Just seems like they're trying a different console concept out instead. We'll see. 

Around the Network
Aeolus451 said:
SpokenTruth said:

Wii U had 3rd party (at launch) and that didn't seem to help anything at all.  I'm not saying they won't help, but they in no way ensure a flop either.

Nintendo is not Sony or MS.  We really need to start understanding that.   The market and audience of Switch and PS4/XOne do not have to be mutually inclusive. 

The key part of that is if nintendo learnt from it's mistakes or not. So far there's signs that they haven't learned a damn thing. Just seems like they're trying a different console concept out instead. We'll see. 

The mistakes with Wii U were marketing, paced game output and pricing.

The first one has easily been corrected and the second seems to doing better.  We'll have to wait to see about the 3rd one.

3rd party AAA content hasn't been sales factor (good or bad) for Nintendo consoles in over a decade.   So the lack of it isn't a mistake.  Again, this is not Sony or MS. 

Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

Nothing tragic about it, at least not of a magnitude that switch will sell below 30mil units as the OPs poll suggest.

And I see it as a missed oppurtunity for 3rd parties rather than a great loss to Nintendo. I'm sure that even some very late ports, such as GTA V, would sell millions on the system.

I also think that almost any AAA 3rd party game that would have been released in the period between zelda and MK8D would sell north of a million.

The current situation is a big win for Nintendo. If they manage to produce enough units, switch will easily surpass total Wii U numbers in its first year, and almost every full-priced million seller will come from Nintendo (except FIFA and maybe Skyrim).

It is also amazing how Nintendo is slowly covering many genres, producing highly reviewed games in any of them. I'm not saying that Splatoon and CoD are similar games, but I'm glad to see that they are experimenting with new IPs while constantly polishing and innovating in their established game series.

The Wii U came out in 2012 and was mostly a part of the PS4 and Xbone's life. The Wii U got a lot of games that were on the PS3 and 360. Your argument should be  that the Xbox One and PS4 are doing fine without those IPs. 

You know that thing when you uhhh...and then you...hmmm. But then you have to...umm, Yuh.

-Post deleted by request-

-Super_Boom

You know that thing when you uhhh...and then you...hmmm. But then you have to...umm, Yuh.

The best selling games are always Sports titles, and Shooters. Destiny and Battlefront tried to fill the gap left by CoD's poor quality. They succeeded to a point, but Overwatch sells better and is better. IMO there's not enough room left in the shooter market for either Battlefront, or Destiny to sell over 4 million copies this year.

The sentence below is false. 
The sentence above is true.