By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - None of the blockbuster 3rd party games coming to switch 2017

Switch lifetime figures?

12-15 million 72 7.05%

15-20 million 58 5.68%

20-25 million 78 7.64%

25-30 million 119 11.66%

Way more than the above 694 67.97%

Total:1,021

Every once in a while, I still come back to this forum out of morbid curiosity, just to see if the discussion topics are still as dumb and hyperbole-driven as they were the last time I came here. And, every time I come back, it's reaffirmed that yes... yes they are.

Around the Network

I'd say wait and see for games like Battlefront in 2018. Switch will be compelling for many publishers if Nintendo manages their 10 million FY and games like Skyrim clear the million seller mark.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

StuOhQ said:
I'd say wait and see for games like Battlefront in 2018. Switch will be compelling for many publishers if Nintendo manages their 10 million FY and games like Skyrim clear the million seller mark.

I think that if Skyrim and FIFA sell well, it would really convince Western developpers to release more games on the Switch.

Soundwave said:
Barkley said:

Doesn't matter if they launched on Switch or not. Nintendo has backed themselves into a corner, they'll never be relevant for these 3rd Party titles. Even if they launched on the thing it wouldn't help them significantly.

Nintendo can't capture the CoD, Assassin's Creed, RDR, Battlefront, Destiny, Battlefield, Mass Effect crowd and they can't capture the revenue that comes from that. The majority of the fanbases for those crowds would never play them on a Nintendo device.

They have to rely almost completely on first party, which hopefully now they can focus on one device, they can deliver to an incredible degree.

In this case I think they would, Switch is a slick device, don't get it twisted, most people buying it are adults and it has been positively received by the hardcore gaming community more or less I would say. 

Being able to play fairly high end 3D games anywhere is an appealling core feature. 

The issue is it's hard to port these games likely without major sacrifices having to be made, particularily to run in portable mode. 

There are other games that are doable, but Star Wars in particular I think would be tough. 

What does that have to do with what he said? All he is saying is that the fanbase for THOSE game series wouldnt play them on Switch if they already have systems that already play them, which is the truth.

SpokenTruth said:
potato_hamster said:

And how many of those were released the same time as their PS3/X360 counterparts, and didn't suffer from any frame rate/graphical fidelity issues, or lacked features?

Besides, that's not the argument I'm going against is it? Goodnightmoon was implying that those titles are system sellers (thus it wouldn't bode well for the PS4 and X1), when they weren't even system sellers for the Wii U (and let's be fair, nothing was).

My point is, first party libraries only tend to make a significant difference when the third party playing field is practically even. Any third party title that is out for PS4 and X1 and not on Switch is the same as a first party exlusive as far as a consumer choosing between the PS4 and Switch is concerned.

I think the highlighted sums up what we are both trying to say.

Agreed. I just think perhaps some Nintendo fans are getting a little ahead of themselves because the past couple months have been good. We actually don't know at this point if the Switch is going to be a long-term success, and there are a lot of cards Nintendo has to play right to sustain it. Remember the Wii U actually sold pretty well for a few months before the bottom dropped out of it.

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
potato_hamster said:

Agreed. I just think perhaps some Nintendo fans are getting a little ahead of themselves because the past couple months have been good. We actually don't know at this point if the Switch is going to be a long-term success, and there are a lot of cards Nintendo has to play right to sustain it. Remember the Wii U actually sold pretty well for a few months before the bottom dropped out of it.

The feel is different.  It's an intangible but very real factor. Wii U had a solid launch week but that's it and that was during the holidays.  This has been solid for 2 months during late winter/early spring.

That said, Switch is doing way better than Wii U.  First months sales have nearly equated Wii U's first entire year and certainly has including April.

Wii U launched in Nov 2012 and sold 2.25 million units through the end of the year.  Switch sold 2.74 million in just March.
Wii U launch to 472k week 1 (Black Friday weekend).  Switch launched to 1.4 million in the first week of March.
Wii U was already down to 45k per week in January.  2 months after launch.  Switch did twice that much just in Japan last week...2 months after launch.

So not only is the feel very different, the numbers are too.  Very different.

Of course, but you're also comparing it to the worst selling Nintendo home console of all time. Let's hope those numbers aren't comparible! However, I'm also of the mind that even a Switch that sells double what the Wii U did can't be called a success. This isn't a sprint, it's a marathon, and the Switch is barely out of the gates. By all means, but there are reasons that continue to persist that should force rational people to be more cautiously optimistic about the Switch going forward.

your deep well thought out analytics have me convinced

SpokenTruth said:
potato_hamster said:

The feel is different.  It's an intangible but very real factor. Wii U had a solid launch week but that's it and that was during the holidays.  This has been solid for 2 months during late winter/early spring.

That said, Switch is doing way better than Wii U.  First months sales have nearly equated Wii U's first entire year and certainly has including April.

Wii U launched in Nov 2012 and sold 2.25 million units through the end of the year.  Switch sold 2.74 million in just March.
Wii U launch to 472k week 1 (Black Friday weekend).  Switch launched to 1.4 million in the first week of March.
Wii U was already down to 45k per week in January.  2 months after launch.  Switch did twice that much just in Japan last week...2 months after launch.

So not only is the feel very different, the numbers are too.  Very different.

The feel is very different, but I do think we can come up with some tangibles:

- A truly ambitious Zelda game makes for a way better, "must have" launch game than formulaic New SMB, or Pilotwings.
- The Switch hardware concept does not have anything repulsive about it, in fact it's very cool if not "revolutionary" like Wii.
- The Switch also doesn't try to trojan-horse itself as an already-popular brand (only to deliver a very different gaming experience).
- The Switch is pushing classic brands like Skyrim, Tetris, Minecraft and Street Fighter II instead of sloppy seconds like Batman Arkham City and Ninja Gaiden III.

Also, we'll see how it works out, but for my two cents, I think the strategy of pacing out game releases so there's always something new is great.  I waited a whole year to buy a Wii U and never felt like I was missing out on much...the launch period of Wii U was exciting but then it took about 8 months for Nintendo to accumulate even 2 games that I considered "must have" - Pikmin 3 and Earthbound (and isn't it sad that a 20 year old SNES game was one of my must-haves?)

Cerebralbore101 said:
leo-j said:

DESTINY 2(Coming of what is considered the 2nd biggest franchise this gen)

STAR WARS BATTLE FRONT 2(Millions guaranteed as it launches near the movie)

RED DEAD REDEMPTION (the country GTA)

those three are likely going to sell well over 10 million units..... and will release on PS4/xbone/pc

no switch announcements...... does this bold well for its future? I think not....

Destiny released with a metascore in the 70's. It was an unbalanced mess of a game much of the time.

Star Wars Battlefront also released with a metascore in the 70's. People want the original BFII not this other game.

Red Dead actually looks good.

So your list has one good game coming out this year that the Switch won't have. Meanwhile....

BoTW = One of the highest rated games of all time.

Splatoon 2 = sequel to shooter of the year.

Xenoblade 2 = sequel to one of the best RPGs ever made.

Super Mario Odyssey = sequel to the Mario franchise which has been blowing minds for decades with games like SMB3, SM64, and Galaxy.

Interesting that you already know the quality of Destiny 2 and Battlefront 2 because of the scores their predecessors got. 

The scores do also not change that these games (especially Destiny) got a huge fanbase. People want these games even if they won't get great scores. And when people want these games, they need a platform they will be available for. 

I really didn't like Destiny and found Battlefront in the state it was released unneeded but common, we all know these games will sell like crazy and are super important for many gamers. 

I'm not saying that Switch needs these games to be successful, just that many gamers want them.  Saying something else is lying to yourself. 

I think the switch will flop (under 40 mil) if Nintendo hasn't learned from the Wii U and doesn't have many 3rd party games. I know that some expect it to sell handheld or handheld + home console numbers but that's unrealistic with it being a unproven concept for a console. No one really knows what is gonna happen. If nintendo does things right, it will probably sell 80 to 110 mil. In my opinion, Nintendo is already making some mistakes with it, though.