By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - does anyone still think the wii will lose this console war?

To me the ONLY loser this generation will be the PS3.

As long as the Wii sells more than the Gamecube then its all good. Same for the Xbox360. PS3 has ALOT of work to do!!

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY

Around the Network
coolestguyever said:
I still doubt the wii will win.

2. Wii has wwwwaaaaayyyyyy less good games, games sell systems.

People need to stop making this argument. It's an indisputable fact that the Wii has dramatically outsold both the PS3 and the X360 for the past 16 months. Given this fact, at least one of the following two statements MUST be true:

1. The Wii has better games than the PS3 and X360.

2. Games don't sell systems. (Or at least games are not the main determinant of system sales.)

You could make an argument for either statement, but at least one of them MUST be true given the Wii's success. Personally, I think games do sell systems, and Wii Sports has sold more systems than any game on the PS3 or X360.

bluesinG said:
coolestguyever said:

People need to stop making this argument. It's an indisputable fact that the Wii has dramatically outsold both the PS3 and the X360 for the past 16 months. Given this fact, at least one of the following two statements MUST be true:

2. Games don't sell systems. (Or at least games are not the main determinant of system sales.)

You could make an argument for either statement, but at least one of them MUST be true given the Wii's success. Personally, I think games do sell systems, and Wii Sports has sold more systems than any game on the PS3 or X360.

Well I certianly can see that someone can still think logically about these types of statements.

This generation is going to see something similar to the PS1 and N64 gen.  The Wii will win with the PS3 putting a good number of systems out there.

bluesinG said:
coolestguyever said:

People need to stop making this argument. It's an indisputable fact that the Wii has dramatically outsold both the PS3 and the X360 for the past 16 months. Given this fact, at least one of the following two statements MUST be true:

But don't you know?  It has all been a FAD that will soon fade away as people realize that the games are "wwwwaaaaayyyyyy" worse on Wii and that really what they thought was a lot of fun was actually not fun at all.

To Each Man, Responsibility
coolestguyever said:

1. Once the PS3 is cheaper it will sell way more

This argument is also problematic. It's true that the price of manufacturing PS3s will come down over time. However, the price of manufacturing Wiis will also come down over time, and it will always be cheaper for Nintendo to produce Wiis than for Sony to produce PS3s (because the Wii has simpler components).

Therefore, Nintendo will always be able to sell the Wii at a cheaper price point than Sony will be able to sell the PS3. And if price is the main determinant of console sales, then the Wii will always beat the PS3.

Of course, price probably isn't the main determinant of console sales (see GameCube and X360 Arcade). But even if it were, this argument still wouldn't work.

Around the Network

no chance... the wii niche has been hammered out.

DMeisterJ said:
We all know the Wii is winning.

The more interesting race is between the PS3 and 360.

That's exactly how I think of it.

@coolestguyever

1. PS3 will never be cheaper than the Wii.
2. Games are purely personal choice and if current sales trends imply anything, its that the Wii has the far better selection for the mass consumer. (i.e. the people who actually decide who wins)
3. NES,SNES,PS1,PS2 all sold longer than their competitions for one simple reason. They had  by far the biggest marketshare. PS3 won't have that, thus, they won't last 10 years. 360 will be certain that the next-gen will start by 2011.

Wii will loose in the end because it has passed GameCube lifetime sales and now that all MARIO boys have bought the system, its sales are gonna drop drastically. /crazzyman impersonation

Seriously, I highly doubt it would be possible for PS3 or X360 to overcome the Wii, the gap is growing every week and we're still experiencing supply issues.

Signature goes here!

coolestguyever said:

3. PS3 will sell for longer just like the PS2 still sells.

This argument doesn't work, either. The PS2 still sells because it was the overwhelming market leader last generation, and therefore (a) was the best-known console (by far), and (b) had the largest game library. If the PS3 is not the overwhelming market leader by the start of the next generation, it will not have these advantages, and therefore will not keep selling. Its sales will die off like those of the XBox and GameCube.

Note that "future-proofing" will not prevent this. The GameCube and original XBox were both technologically superior to the PS2, but they have not kept selling like the PS2 because they didn't have the advantages that come with being the overwhelming market leader.

Yeah they can still lose if they dont strike deals with developers and sway them into telling them why they should develope for the Wii and such and not keep the hype for the wii or they will lose sales.