By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - March 2017 NPD Thread! Software charts up!

RolStoppable said:
Acevil said:

Wait wha..... Zelda outsold the console? 

Nothing wrong with people buying the game before they can get their hands on a console.

But it also really shows just how much many of the earlier adopters were there for Zelda.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
VGPolyglot said:

But it also really shows just how much many of the earlier adopters were there for Zelda.

Well, I tried to tell you and others that Switch is not having a soft launch and that Zelda is a system seller. Although I do believe that you were trying to troll me back then. But the others were serious about it.

Yes, I was trolling you. My uncle, who's not even really a Zelda fan, just bought the game and a Switch a few days ago.

The fact that Zelda and Switch managed these numbers during MARCH is most impressive. Imagine what the numbers could be had the console been released in November....

Kuksenkov said:
The fact that Zelda and Switch managed these numbers during MARCH is most impressive. Imagine what the numbers could be had the console been released in November....

It isn't really that different initally when you market to *adults* and make your system towards them. 

Nintendo marketed during the NFL Superbowl, which was big. They used commercials that were relatively cool and aimed at that audience. 

That audience, they're adults, they don't need mommy and daddy to buy them a system for Christmas, they have their own money. All you need to do is excite them, and Zelda: BotW did that. That's all you need. Those people can buy anything, doesn't matter if it's March or April or December. That's the bonus of being able to get into that audience. 

RolStoppable said:
VGPolyglot said:

Yes, I was trolling you. My uncle, who's not even really a Zelda fan, just bought the game and a Switch a few days ago.

Thought so. That was really out of character for you.

I didn't know I had an established character!

Around the Network

Crazy, just crazy. I totally underestimate how well it would perform.

Hopefully Nintendo also learns that Superbowl marketing is not a waste. And *do not* change the Switch marketing, keep marketing with modern music and relatively "hip" looking people (mainly grown males) playing the system.

That's the ticket Nintendo, don't fuck it up by trying to become a special snowflake again.

Holy shot Switch sold a lot better than I thought. And Zelda with that 100% attach rate. The Switch will be a beast this year.

Also the Wii U version did very well.

camilosanchez16 said:
Wii U sold 890k in November+December, Switch outsold it on March. Amazing. Looks like VGChartz has everything under tracked a bit.

This is for the whole of March. VGChartz numbers is 1 week only.