By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Reason the Horizon Dawn outsold Botw is because PS4 already sold millions.

the pissing contest continues

Around the Network

Zelda probably would have sold worse if they didn't make it the flagship title of new hardware. Being on Wii U alone, it would have done... well, but that's going to be the key to its longevity is not having competition on Switch with first party titles.

Lol okay

No matter what happens, there will be excuses from both sides.

Horizon didn't sell? That's because there were too many other good games to choose from.

Zelda doesn't sell? Userbase is too small.

Horizon sells more? Of course it did. There are Fifty million plus PS4 users.

Zelda sells more? It's an IP that's been around since the 80's competing against a new IP.

Zelda sells more? It's released on TWO consoles with no competition.

I could go on all day. In the end, I'm just glad to have both. They're great games. Everything doesn't have to be a war. It makes Nintendo fans look petty, clinging to every single insignificant victory and it makes Sony fans seem arrogant, throwing every little thing in their other fanbases faces.

Of course, that's just my pov...

RJ_Sizzle said:
Zelda probably would have sold worse if they didn't make it the flagship title of new hardware. Being on Wii U alone, it would have done... well, but that's going to be the key to its longevity is not having competition on Switch with first party titles.

Yeah, while launch-titles have disadvantages (in user-base), they also have advantages to the sales. Many launch-titles on different consoles are good sellers. So I think it outweighs each other.

The main reason Zelda is a launch-title though is, that it sells Switch. It's not the other way around.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
No matter what happens, there will be excuses from both sides.

Horizon didn't sell? That's because there were too many other good games to choose from.

Zelda doesn't sell? Userbase is too small.

Horizon sells more? Of course it did. There are Fifty million plus PS4 users.

Zelda sells more? It's an IP that's been around since the 80's competing against a new IP.

Zelda sells more? It's released on TWO consoles with no competition.

I could go on all day. In the end, I'm just glad to have both. They're great games. Everything doesn't have to be a war. It makes Nintendo fans look petty, clinging to every single insignificant victory and it makes Sony fans seem arrogant, throwing every little thing in their other fanbases faces.

Of course, that's just my pov...

Hadn't Zach Brannigan a firm opinion about neutrals like you?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

And likewise you can say Zelda sold more then it would have if switch owners had the same number of games to choose from on their platform.

The fact it's got no other highly rated AAA games to compete with will boost Zelda sales.

There is no problem with Horizon beating BotW in sales, specially considering both games have advantages and disadvantages to sell or not. Both are fantastic games, and will continue to sell well long after its release.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

I don't think I saw any one said it's better because it sold more.

Random_Matt said:
Lots of upset people around here.