By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Where Horizon ZD fails

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Goodnightmoon said:

After more than 100 hours I have never find a single one, the limits of the world are very elegantly done but keep downplaying.

Do you ever saw me saying anything like " zelda have invisible walls , its shit " , what downplaying xD, pointing invisible walls in horizon is cool and ok, pointing them in zelda " STOP DOWNPLAYING !?!?!?!?!?! "

You've downplayed BotW in the past:

Best part is you don't stop yourself from handing out 10/10s.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=226558&page=1#54

Around the Network

Thanks for this insight, OP. This seems to align with what I've heard, but it's helpful to see someone walk through it.

It seems like Zelda and Horizon have very different design philosophies, with the former putting a bigger focus on exploration, and the latter being more story-focused. Nothing wrong with either, but I can definitely understand your sentiment. I absolutely loved how completely open Zelda felt. It's hard to explain I guess...but it really felt like I was given a world that was completely mine. I could choose to experience the story, could choose to walk around massive hills, fly from mountain to mountain, or just dress as a woman and collect and throw chickens to scare local children.

I assume Horizon gives you freedom as well, but the restrictions I see in the OP convince me that I probably wouldn't enjoy it to the same extent. Going into an open world game now, and not being able to glide across mountains, or climb essentially anything...I can't help but think it'd make me a sad boom...

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

I remember trying to explore in Destiny's beta. With just a few easy jumps I got on top of one of the roofs and the game started freaking out. That was the moment I knew that I never wanted to buy the game. While yes, every game tries to keep you in the play area, some games struggle at doing this invisibly. This is even more of a problem in exploration heavy games, because it makes it difficult to understand the line between "explore-able area" and "off limits" which makes me not really want to explore.

That said, I haven't played Horizon so I don't know how well it handles this type of thing.

I'm struggling to finish the game because the combat is such a bore, and the open world formula it follows has gotten stale. I just cleared a level 23 corrupted zone today, I am level 44 IIRC. It has two Rockbreakers in it. This is this second time in over 30 hours of play time that a combat scenario has been difficult, even playing on Very Hard. Again I had to use the environment to my advantage, getting to high ground where their glitch you ground dig attacks couldn't reach, then shooting off their digging claws, then hitting their weak spots again and again, killing them until they died from it. But thanks to shit AI, almost every enemy encounter in the game is too easy.

It's also hard to get motivated to continue plowing through when your map is loaded with a billion markers. It looks like an Ubi game. I'd much rather have had the map just say "point of interest" at the most and allow for some actual exploring.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
KLAMarine said:

You've downplayed BotW in the past:

Best part is you don't stop yourself from handing out 10/10s.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=226558&page=1#54

Do you guys have a club and chat among yourselfs with that screenshot, you the second one doing that with the same screenshot, i want to join the club, if you search my posts again you will probably find the answer i gave the other dude with the ff 13 Snow avatar, or maibe you just like investigative journalism like hhim. Boy do you guys love to bring shit that are not even related to the threads.

There is such downplaying there , god i am trashing the zelda so much omg, poor game is perfect and this douche Classicgaming wizz keeps trashing, that son of a bitch that mentioned a problem that the game had.

I said the game had framerate problems , did i lied ?

I said the game had invisible walls to someone that asked , did i lied ? Did i said invible walls in zelda is bad ?

Is this the concept of downplaying?

No, it's the following that I consider downplaying:

"you have to be a fucking fanboy to rate a zelda a perfect score"

"look IGN review, made by the biggest nintendo fanboy there"

"zelda is way older IP, people grow up playing zelda, so its natural that it have more fanboys in the press that put the nostalgia glasses on"

What's especially damning is you don't hesitate for a moment to list games you consider 10/10. It's okay for you to hand out perfect scores but when it comes to Breath of the Wild gettin' loads of 'em, all of a sudden perfect scores are scores "that no game should have".

You sippin' haterade?

Put down that haterade bottle mate.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
estebxx said:
Also if you dont like to bunny hop constantly to get the slow mo then dont do it... ive never even thought about doing that because its so silly, and you do have an ability that slows time for you, so its not like you cant have access to slow mo without bunny hopping.

And you dont even need slow-mo to begin with, its not like the game is so hard that you constantly need to be in slow mo to beat the enemies, the slow mo time the concentration ability gives you is more than enough to deal with anything, there is no need to constantly bunny hop for slow mo... plus as i said it looks so stupid that i personally would never even do that.

It's a valid strategy since counter strike although without the slowmo :p I'm not that quick at aiming so when the game gives me the ability to use slow mo then I'll take it, bunny hopping around a group of corrupted scrappers or whatever.

I wanna point out this thing you said right here:

"yet most of the time it comes down to bunny hopping around (to stay in slow motion)"

Can you play the game however you want?

Yes absolutely, but the way you worded that makes it sound like you NEED to jump all the time for slow mo in this game, and thats not the case... in fact i dont know a single person that plays this game (aside from you) who does this, i mean... you literally have a slow-mo ability called concentration that slows time and it recharges after 6 seconds, being able to do slow-mo every 6 seconds is more than enough (and against some enemies its even OP), and even then you dont need slow-mo all the time, you can perfectly just fight without it.

Super_Boom said:
Thanks for this insight, OP. This seems to align with what I've heard, but it's helpful to see someone walk through it.

It seems like Zelda and Horizon have very different design philosophies, with the former putting a bigger focus on exploration, and the latter being more story-focused. Nothing wrong with either, but I can definitely understand your sentiment. I absolutely loved how completely open Zelda felt. It's hard to explain I guess...but it really felt like I was given a world that was completely mine. I could choose to experience the story, could choose to walk around massive hills, fly from mountain to mountain, or just dress as a woman and collect and throw chickens to scare local children.

I assume Horizon gives you freedom as well, but the restrictions I see in the OP convince me that I probably wouldn't enjoy it to the same extent. Going into an open world game now, and not being able to glide across mountains, or climb essentially anything...I can't help but think it'd make me a sad boom...

It gives you quite a bit of freedom but does expect you to follow a (pretty broad) linear path with closed off sections if you don't.
To compare the two:
Horizon: 1. Combat 2. Story 3. Exploration
Botw: 1. Exploration 2. Combat 3. Story
Maybe story even becomes first place in Horizon later on

Exploration is still plenty fun in Horizon yet it's not really made for it, and it fails at giving you the option to create your own path / journey. Which is kinda ironic since that's what the job of a seeker is from what I gathered. Yet perhaps I have it all wrong, still scratching the surface apparently after 18 hours. It's another long one. The ability to get sidetracked is definately there.

estebxx said:
SvennoJ said:

It's a valid strategy since counter strike although without the slowmo :p I'm not that quick at aiming so when the game gives me the ability to use slow mo then I'll take it, bunny hopping around a group of corrupted scrappers or whatever.

"yet most of the time it comes down to bunny hopping around (to stay in slow motion)"

Yes absolutely, but the way you worded that makes it sound like you NEED to jump all the time for slow mo in this game, and thats not the case... in fact i dont know a single person that plays this game (aside from you) who does this, i mean... you literally have a slow-mo ability called concentration that slows time and it recharges after 6 seconds, being able to do slow-mo every 6 seconds is more than enough (and against some enemies its even OP), and even then you dont need slow-mo all the time, you can perfectly just fight without it.

Maybe I just suck at it :) Yeah I know about concentration, it usually runs out before I get my shot off. I didn't upgrade it yet though, it's next on the list. When I screw up being stealthy, which usually happens, I end up jumping around in a group of angry dinobots. It works. Analog aiming is not one of my strengths.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
KLAMarine said:

No, it's the following that I consider downplaying:

"you have to be a fucking fanboy to rate a zelda a perfect score"

"look IGN review, made by the biggest nintendo fanboy there"

"zelda is way older IP, people grow up playing zelda, so its natural that it have more fanboys in the press that put the nostalgia glasses on"

What's especially damning is you don't hesitate for a moment to list games you consider 10/10. It's okay for you to hand out perfect scores but when it comes to Breath of the Wild gettin' loads of 'em, all of a sudden perfect scores are scores "that no game should have".

Put down that haterade bottle mate.

once again, nothing i ever said there is even a lie, and its more on hating the reviewers than the game, dont cut shit from my posts "you have to be a fucking fanboy to rate a zelda a perfect score" you forgot " when you know the game have framerate problems "

Framerate problems never stopped you from handing out perfect scores.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:

ign reviewer is a fanboy of nintendo , its known.

How do you know?

ClassicGamingWizzz said:

the nostalgia part IMO is true, i am not the only one saying it as much it offends you.

Just because a lot of people say it doesn't make it true.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:

Everyone is hater, jim sterling is a hater , everyone who dont jerk off to god almighty botw and call it perfect its a hater.

No. Just you so far. You said it yourself.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:

once again, nothing i ever said there is even a lie, and its more on hating the reviewers than the game

SvennoJ said:

estebxx said:

Maybe I just suck at it :) Yeah I know about concentration, it usually runs out before I get my shot off. I didn't upgrade it yet though, it's next on the list. When I screw up being stealthy, which usually happens, I end up jumping around in a group of angry dinobots. It works. Analog aiming is not one of my strengths.

I just wanna point out that im not trying to say that you suck at it, (if it somehow came out that way) anyhow if slow-mo is what you want there are 2 upgrades that make that ability almost broken, (and definitely OP against stuff like watchers and anything with a clear accessible weak spot).

BraLoD said:
d21lewis said:

As someone who played Load back in the day, let me point out one thing. You could take a step too far to the east and have to swap discs. Then have to swap discs again to go back to where you were.  It was far from seemless.

LoD has a different region for all of the four discs, which are Serdio, Tiberoa, Mille Sesseau (+ Gloriano) and Death Frontier (+ Divine Tree/Moon That Never Sets).

From disc two to disc one (Tiberoa to Serdio), you can go back walking, and no need to switch discs, only if after you are back to Serdio you want to enter a city, then you have to switch discs, you can actually walk around any non-city place to reach every part of the map without having to swap discs.
There is no way to go back from disc three to disc two (Mille Sesseau to Tiberoa) because you get there (Mille Sesseau) by the boat in an event.
From disc four to disc three (Death Frontier to Mille Sesseau) there is no way to go back by where you enter it in the event, but you can go back to disc two (Tiberoa) back by foot through the Home of Gigantos, and have access from Zenebatos through Coolon, which allows you to teleport to any disc to the map near the most important places, and you can walk around, changing discs if you want to enter places there.

You can't walk too far away and have to swap discs, if you go back to a past region by the possible ways I mentioned, you'll actually be accessing it on your own will, as any place, you are asked if you really want to "enter" that place, and only if you want to access other places (that you'll be asked to if you want to "enter" as well, as cities for example) you'll be asked to swap discs.

LoD doesn't have a problem with 'walking too far away' and the game out of the blue demanding you to switch discs, at all.

I'll have to take your word for it. I haven't played it since it launched. I distinctly remember having to change discs because I went back to a previous area, though. And changing it again after that. It was so bad, I didn't even get one of the character's Dragoon power because I didn't feel like being aggravated.