By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wait, DID Horizon First Week Global Sales Really Outpace BotW's? (PLEASE READ FIRST POST)

Which did you enjoy more?

Breath of the Wild 402 32.74%

Horizon: Zero Dawn 377 30.70%

I haven't played both yet/Unsure 286 23.29%

See Results 163 13.27%

Total:1,228

This thread is still ticking?

Wow.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
roadkillers said:
Maddadam said:

It's a little bit funny (or sad), when a 30 years old brand, like Zelda has to fight with a totally new and unkown IP, like Horizon.

You said, PS4 has a higher installed base, but Zelda has not ANY competitor because for Switch there isn't any other professional game. Zelda is the only chice for Swith. While Horizon has dozens or hundreds of competitors from exclusive games to multiplatforms.

Not sad at all, shows how the right marketing and PR can sell a product. Same with Destiny, the right amount of PR and marketing along with good will from Halo made that the biggest New IP ever. 

Amazing reviews and word of mouth also are reasons why Horizon is selling so well.

SpokenTruth said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Did I hurt your feelings or something?

Let me hit you with some Inductive reasoning. Zelda sales is depended upon how many Nintendo Switch consoles is up on the market, and since there is 2.4mil Switch consoles (currently sold out), that means it's fair to say a maximum of 2.4mil Zelda can be bought on that platform at this given moment. Meanwhile there is 13.9 million Wii U, and Zelda only manages 0.64 mil on that. So if you think it'll break the gap then I'd say that's wishful thinking. It all depends on how fast Nintendo can push out Nintendo Switches. Good luck I guess.

The gap is 80,000 and you think that gap cannot be closed because....Nintendo cannot produce and sell 80,000 more Switch consoles than H:ZD copies sold over the course of the next several years?

Follow my deductive reasoning.  Gap = 80,000.  Zelda max sales = max Switch sales. H:ZD max sales = X.  Switch max sales = Y.
So you are saying that over the next 3-4 years, Y will always be 80,000 or more less than X?

Nautilus said:

First of all, that 2.4 number is an estimation.From Superdata.By that you know hwo reliable that number is.

Second, your reasoning that, since Zelda is mostly tied to Switch hardware sales(and it is), the game wont be able to catch up to Horizon is ridiculous.Given the attach rate the game has in relation to the Switch, assuming that the Switch sells about 10 millions by years end, and Zelda maintains a "modest" attach rate of 5 to 6 millions, thats 5 to 6 millions units sold on Switch alone.

I am forcing a bit with the attach rate, but Im just trying to prove that, given the games attach rate and the current performance of the Switch, saying that its wishful thinking that Zelda cant cover that "big" gap betwenn both titles is laughable and ridiculous.

So let me get this straight. Both of you are not considering that there will be more competition later on? I mean, is Zelda going to be the only game Switch is going to have for a year or more? If that's the case then sure yeah, it'll definitely break through the gap.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
deskpro2k3 said:

So let me get this straight. Both of you are not considering that there will be more competition later on? I mean, is Zelda going to be the only game Switch is going to have for a year or more? If that's the case then sure yeah, it'll definitely break through the gap.

The gap between HZD and Zelda is currently 80k. In the most current global week, March 11th, Zelda had a surplus of 101k over HZD. In the most current US week, March 18th, Zelda had a surplus of 74k. I don't know why you even brought up the subject of the Switch's install base, because that's not why your statement was ridiculous. It's ridiculous because you're saying that Zelda can't overcome a gap of 80k, despite literally closing the gap by a greater amount the previous week. And considering how much HZD dropped in the US and UK charts that we have for March 18th, Zelda could likely overtake it within the next one or two global weekly updates.

deskpro2k3 said:
Nautilus said:

First of all, that 2.4 number is an estimation.From Superdata.By that you know hwo reliable that number is.

Second, your reasoning that, since Zelda is mostly tied to Switch hardware sales(and it is), the game wont be able to catch up to Horizon is ridiculous.Given the attach rate the game has in relation to the Switch, assuming that the Switch sells about 10 millions by years end, and Zelda maintains a "modest" attach rate of 5 to 6 millions, thats 5 to 6 millions units sold on Switch alone.

I am forcing a bit with the attach rate, but Im just trying to prove that, given the games attach rate and the current performance of the Switch, saying that its wishful thinking that Zelda cant cover that "big" gap betwenn both titles is laughable and ridiculous.

Of course there will be more games on the Switch that is worth getting.But its not like "Oddyssey its out!Oh nevermind that old Zelda game, I wont buy it anymore because its already 9 months old and Mario is all the rage now!"

And I mean, I dont get the point that you are trying to make.Its not like that big games releasing on the Switch will make Zelda stop selling altogether.Not to mention that BOTW status as a masterpiece and a 97 metacritic score game will keep it on Switch users radar for the rest of its lifespan.And also the fact that Nintendo games usually have long legs.You are also ignoring the chance that the game may be eventually bundled with the Switch, and manyyyyyy more scenarios.

And I mean, if you think that competition(the release of other big games on Switch like Mario, Splatoon, DQ XI, XC 2, etc) will keep Zelda from fulfilling its potential, why does that not apply to Horizon, that is on a system that has wayyyyy more competition than Zelda?And Zelda is not only selling because its THE game to own right now for Switch, its selling because its a masterpiece.The game is carrying its own weight.And it will keep on carrying it years later when there are other excellent games on the system.

So again I ask you again why cant you even accept that there is a chance, and I really just mean a chance, that Zelda may end up selling more than Horizon lifetime?Because your reasoning for me so far makes no sense.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network

one released LIVE with a million (2 at max) in week 1, the other released on like 55 million consoles.

It's not remotely surprised if Horizon beat it in the first week. Major question marks whether it will be able to in the longrun though, and frankly Horizon Zero Dawn's first week sales weren't that amazing considering the install base. Just for perspective a 2 million launch (or a bit less or whatever it was) is not something THAT unusual on the PS4 at this point, and giant IPs on similar install bases achieve much more (Call of Duty, Pokemon, etc.).

Solid for Horizon being a new IP however I would argue it came out with a lot of hype so. Really depends on what the budget for the game was whether or not its a success.

Regardless, I wouldn't brag about beating a game that launched with the system. 

also a poll was useless because people will answer who haven't played both games, and obviously, again, the game that's on the platform of 55 million (rather than 2 million) is going to have far more people who've played it at this point (and not BOTW) and will vote automatically based no their positive experience with the one game

Great first weeks for both games though really, solid for Horizon given its a new IP, solid for Zelda considering it was limited by the limited amount of Switch owners.

strange thread though tbh as its literally exactly what you would expect to happen (i.e. Horizon having the bigger launch on the big userbase, and Zelda very likely having better legs).

deskpro2k3 said:
SpokenTruth said:

The gap is 80,000 and you think that gap cannot be closed because....Nintendo cannot produce and sell 80,000 more Switch consoles than H:ZD copies sold over the course of the next several years?

Follow my deductive reasoning.  Gap = 80,000.  Zelda max sales = max Switch sales. H:ZD max sales = X.  Switch max sales = Y.
So you are saying that over the next 3-4 years, Y will always be 80,000 or more less than X?

Nautilus said:

But games like GTAV and Minecraft continue to sell despite being years old and with so many games released over the years. Hell, older Pokémon games and Animal Crossing New Leaf (in Japan at least) found spots in the top of the charts despite the 3DS getting more games over the course of its life. Competition or not, Zelda will continue to sell as there is a lot of interest in this game because of its brand, being a launch title of the Switch, and because it's given one of the highest Metacritic, GameRankings, and OpenCritic scores of all-time and with word of mouth most likely being more than positive! Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2, and Mario Odyssey will do their thing and sell whatever they can but they won't suddenly halt Zelda's momentum.

As some certain fans said many years ago: this is a marathon, not a sprint.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

mountaindewslave said:

one released LIVE with a million (2 at max) in week 1, the other released on like 55 million consoles.

It's not remotely surprised if Horizon beat it in the first week. Major question marks whether it will be able to in the longrun though, and frankly Horizon Zero Dawn's first week sales weren't that amazing considering the install base. Just for perspective a 2 million launch (or a bit less or whatever it was) is not something THAT unusual on the PS4 at this point, and giant IPs on similar install bases achieve much more (Call of Duty, Pokemon, etc.).

Solid for Horizon being a new IP however I would argue it came out with a lot of hype so. Really depends on what the budget for the game was whether or not its a success.

Regardless, I wouldn't brag about beating a game that launched with the system. 

also a poll was useless because people will answer who haven't played both games, and obviously, again, the game that's on the platform of 55 million (rather than 2 million) is going to have far more people who've played it at this point (and not BOTW) and will vote automatically based no their positive experience with the one game

Great first weeks for both games though really, solid for Horizon given its a new IP, solid for Zelda considering it was limited by the limited amount of Switch owners.

strange thread though tbh as its literally exactly what you would expect to happen (i.e. Horizon having the bigger launch on the big userbase, and Zelda very likely having better legs).

This thread just keeps getting better

2 million for a new IP isn't impressive? Who are you trying to fool?

SpokenTruth said:
Faust said:
i found more interesting the *fact* that the ps4 outsold the new nintendo console :S

When do you mean?

im checking the latest vgc update. It says the ps4 sold 249k units; switch came out a little short with 234k units